Introducing UIDragDetectors [Studio-only Beta]

Saved me from having to code sliders myself, I ALMOST did it, and then this dropped.
You have no idea how much time this saves.

11 Likes

For UIDragDetectors specifically, it was to keep the design in line with DragDetectors, as theyā€™re very similar in usage.

As to why it was made like that in the first place, Iā€™ll have to dig up some conversations as it was quite a while ago-- weā€™ll get back to you if we can find some relevant info!

12 Likes

Do these play nicely with gamepad control schemes? (Discounting the virtual vursor)

How do these behave with layout objects such as UIGridLayout and UIListLayout? These could be very useful to me depending on their behavior here.

9 Likes

This is just so good. An absolutely amazing feature. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

9 Likes

Thank you so much ROBLOX for listening to the developer community, I had the same issue with SurfaceGuiā€™s and hoping this will cover it but seen by the video Iā€™m assuming it is. Thank you again for this amazing update!

9 Likes

They appear to be a bit wonky if you have a UIScale instance involved.

imageimage

15 Likes

I love it, hereā€™s a quick and simple inventory system I made using this new feature.

38 Likes

you should make it so if you drag stuff out your drop it

10 Likes

Oh that is a good point lol. I was mostly just experimenting with the feature, I most likely wonā€™t use this.

5 Likes

Letā€™s go roblox made a W feature today! Roblox keep this up these recent features and updates havenā€™t been L features and in time the community will stop saying ā€œRoblox just realized a new feature and itā€™s trashā€¦ā€

5 Likes

i wonder if its possible to make a control knob with thisā€¦

Also, when do the Drag events fire, before or after the DragDetector itself has set its position

6 Likes

Sliders! The one feature i hold off from doing is now 10x easier :laughing:

Good stuff!

1 Like

There seems to be some problems while using it on phone (notice that black ball which looks like move button)

9 Likes

This is going to save so much time, hopefully we will be able to get a similiar solution to implementing particle-like effects into the 2d space.

2 Likes

HOLY CRAP THIS IS AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Now I want UiBlur, UiPqrticle more UiGradient and stuff and if you donā€™t add them I will end you. x3

10 Likes

Does this mean support for drag-to-reorder behavior?

6 Likes

Such an awesome feature. This is going to make draggable UI so much easier to set up and remove the need for long module scripts and libraries. Didnā€™t even think of the use-case for sliders here - so so amazing, I can finally get rid of my 1000 line library I installed just to set up a damn settings slider. Awesome job to the team here!!

Will we get another announcement when this feature has been enabled in live games? Just asking so I know whether to check back on this thread or not.

5 Likes

Number sliders and a Unity-like inertia drag feature have been a pain point for me. No more! I really love how a lot of games built on Unity that Iā€™ve played have inertial drag on most menus and are elastic to their constraints, so this should make it much easier to create those. Plus Iā€™ve been having some issues creating number sliders. CANNOT wait to use this in prod.

This is an awesome addition to UI hope there will be further expanding on Effects of UI likes Blur and Particle.
UI randomly fade out of existence in edit mode, work normally in play mode.
https://gyazo.com/97b0a54eef79e2b3678d49c38402c824

3 Likes

This feature is great! Thank you!

9 Likes