Introducing Unified Game Permissions

This is interesting. I’ve looked at the game permissions. I think they can be improved though, no idea how right now but yeah.

1 Like

The permission in group role settings will enable global access to edit all of the group’s games. This permission system gives you control over which roles can edit and access specific games.

For your case, remove the permission and add the change the access type for the roles in each game you would like to give access to.

1 Like

This is awesome Update! :heart:

4 Likes

Still think there is an issue unless i just dont understand permissions, In Roblox Group i have created a role, I gave that role no authority, I assigned that role to a tester, went into studio under the permissions tab allowed the person to edit from the permissions tab, the person could not access the studio. so i went back to the group page and turned on the tab for them to edit the game under this specific role, that person subsequently was able to access all group games that i had not turned on perms for that role for. Am i missing something any help is grateful?

1 Like

@nsgriff
Group rank with edit permission for a game cannot import meshes. We only want group owned meshes in our games since they could be archived. You should add the permission to import.

2 Likes

Can someone explain why this has been done? Because group games are getting more popular every year and this feels like a heavy downgrade.

Why is this an issue?

• We have different projects were different people work on. Some are ranked as Testers and some as builders or other roles. We don’t want all testers to have access to that specific project. If we move the tester to that project into builders. We have to give builders access to all projects to test on so the tester can still test their stuff. Or the tester has to give up his tester role because as we builders don’t have access to all projects what’s also the annoying part you need to make different group roles for different group games. But since you can’t add individual users you have to update their rank the whole time.

I would really like to know why we no longer can add individual users to Group Games or other groups to group games. This feels like a heavy downgrade and downgrades the development flow.

(We only work through a lot of group games and groups.) I preferred the beta when all these things still were a thing. Can someone explain me why they removed it?

13 Likes

Can’t have said this better myself. Groups are better for revenue (thanks to group funds and payouts), but the permissions need improvement.

I was looking forward to this during beta, since it meant I could assign testers specific group permissions.

With that said, I still can’t find any reason (good or bad) for why this change was made. Please can the studio team consider responding to this.

3 Likes

On Groups:

Hey everyone, we appreciate the feedback. We defaulted back to the original behavior in this case because we didn’t believe that groups should be tied to other entities externally. Appreciate the feedback, and we will discuss bringing this back in future improvements.

@Gimchi578
There are a lot of issues with us allowing this, because technically that role does not have permissions to modify group assets at all since this permission is about the game, and not the group. We will have to look into this further. Thanks.

11 Likes

Looking forward to when this is brought back, this was a very beneficial feature to the community based groups and developers. I was using it to link my developing group to link specific developers to their workshops within the main one.

3 Likes

I’m having a problem where I am not able to change anybody’s access from ‘Play’ to ‘Edit’, it’s grayed out for me.

5 Likes

I also had the same issue. When I changed my place to team create it updated access settings to public for some reason. When I switched it to friends only again I then could edit permissions for each team create member. I am assuming there is some kind of bug going on here.

3 Likes

This is Terrific. So could you use the “Play” Users as like Testers. What I mean by this is That if I add one of my friends as a Player. Do they still Pay for the Game?

5 Likes

This does make team create a very confusing feature for new developers. especialy because now you can only add new users though the new menu in Home > Game Settings > Permissions Tab. although i find this feature very usefull for managing the permisions on my group games. but we don’t have to forget new developers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When do you estimate a possible relaunch of the group feature if it’s to come back?

4 Likes

People with the Play permission cannot access the game if it is private or friends only.

Is this a bug?

2 Likes

No. It is the same permissions. People with Edit have the ability to access while it is private. People with play can play the game.

3 Likes

The Play permission is essentially useless since people with it can’t play the game; even if it’s restricted.

If the play permission only is useful when making the game public, it’s worthless to me as a developer, since I can’t give exclusive access to a game (e.g. testers) without using a group.

3 Likes

The play permission is working as intended on my private game, maybe it’s a bug with only some games?

3 Likes

I don’t know if this is a bug but: when removing someone from team create, it doesn’t remove them if they’re actively in the team create like it use to do. It’s odd since I got use to it doing that.

1 Like

Please use #platform-feedback to report bugs