Introducing Unified Game Permissions

Hello Developers of Robloxia,

Today, we would like to introduce you to Unified Game Permissions. This feature has long been in Beta as we iterated and made changes to improve the experience. Below, I’ll walk you through these various changes…

Permissions & Team Create

User-Owned Games
One of the major changes with this feature is that we moved how you add users to Team Create sessions. Previous behavior was adding a user via the Team Create widget. Now you need to go to Home > Game Settings > Permissions Tab in order to add users.

You will still need to turn on Team Create in order to add your friends.

We have noted the feedback of being allowed to add play testers without having to turn on Team Create.

Group-Owned Games
With group-owned games, we now give you the ability to customize the setting per role-set. This means you no longer need to give entire role-sets the Create & Edit Group Games permission if you only want the user to access a single game; however, when given a role-set Edit permission in this menu. they will not have access to group assets outside of the game or any other games owned by the Group. In order to find the game that was shared with that role-set, users in that role-set will need to go to the Shared With Me tab to find the game.

Note: The permissions on the group will override any permissions set here, except “Play”.

Play

We added a new feature which allows you to add your friends or give specific group role testing permissions for your game. Just give a role-set or a friend the “Play” permission, and they can now navigate to the Game Details page and play the game with you without the game being required to be public.

User-Owned Game Permissions

We also changed how permissions work in User-Owned Games. Previously, when giving a friend access to Team Create session they couldn’t do certain actions (e,g Create a New Place). This created an inconsistent and frustrating experience in Studio for that user. Below is a matrix of previously not possible permissions, and the new capabilities when adding a user. (Only the owner can add collaborators)

This is a step toward creating a unified permissions model for Studio. We have enabled other features such as Permissions for Packages that will allow you to hire contractors and receive assets without requiring you to give them access to your game(s).

We have noted the feedback on granular permissions and will investigate this for future improvements to the overall permission model.

A Quick Changelist For Beta Users
This only impacts former beta users. When using a Beta, the feature is always subject to change.

• We have migrated all users with “Manage” to “Edit”
  • Groups that were added will be removed
  • Non-friends have been migrated from “Manage” or “Edit” to “Play”
  • No longer allowed to add individual users to Group Games
  • Group Members-only option has been removed in favor of the added per role-set feature

The End

As always, we are excited to hear your feedback as we continue to make improvements and changes to Studio.

I want to give a huge shoutout to @smoothiecriminals, @n_warrior1729, @Subcritical_alt and @funturious

370 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 15 minutes.

Home > Game Settings > Permissions Tab in order to add users.

This is nice. I hated having to open that ugly side panel that’s only purpose was to add a user. Glad the features are becoming more organized.

give specific group role testing permissions for your game.

A testers role in a group has never been cooler than now!

(Only the owner can add collaborators)

When will people be able to designate “admin” collaborators that can add other collaborators similar to how Google Docs has a system allowing certain people to add others IIRC, as well as other changes.
Big change for team create though! No more annoying a specific person to fix a product :l.

No longer allowed to add individual users to Group Games

Why has this been changed? Having the functionality would be nice despite this update being meant to bring together the game permissions in a sensible way

I have a question about enabling game access though.

I sometimes create mass amounts of projects over the span of one month and want to make them all inactive, but I am to lazy to write a JS script for it.

Will there every be some functionality to disable places easier, currently having to go to a new page then back becomes very time consuming?

Overall, this update looks pretty rad. Good job developers! :sunglasses:

30 Likes

You don’t know how helpful this is. earlier my friends wanted to watch. Me dev. Of course, I didn’t trust them, but now with permissions, they can say as long as they want.

We added a new feature which allows you to add your friends or give specific group role testing permissions for your game. Just give a role-set or a friend the “Play” permission, and they can now navigate to the Game Details page and play the game with you without the game being required to be public.

Again, helpful. I need testers but I don’t ant to make the game public. And people might get bored while watching me dev, so why not play and watch me at the same time!? :eyes:

That will allow you to hire contractors and receive assets without requiring you to give them access to your game(s).

This’ll be amazing for my commissions, since there is a team create chat, people can watch me make the animation, tell me what they like and don’t like in real time, and rice it right after it’s done! No hassle! Another great addition.
Thank you so much for the people that worked on it! This’ll be very helpful for me and (hopefully) many others!

15 Likes

That is Beyond expectation, i did not thought you’ll be able to asign specific access to “each” games in a single group, and there it is, alongside a vast new permissions list for a better contribution access.

However, it is possible to have a slightly ˢᵐᵃˡˡ ˡᶦᵗᵗˡᵉ petite feature for a even more complete configuration ?
Groups with several projects going on have trouble doing accurate % revenues,

So being able to set a Percentage “per game” would be great, and no one would have a reason to ever own multiple groups and (worst case scenario) moving their community.

23 Likes

This is phenomenal. Do these “play” perms bypass paid access to allow for testing?

20 Likes

Wow!

This will help a lot in-case you ever hire Back-up developers, or for whatever other reason you would need this for.

8 Likes

Cannot express how happy I am with these features. Would have blown me away if you could have included my feature request from quite a while ago.

If this was added to the panel in the future, this would be really useful in so many ways.

10 Likes

@EpicMetatableMoment

When will people be able to designate “admin” collaborators that can add other collaborators similar to how Google Docs has a system allowing certain people to add others IIRC

We originally did this, but realized it felt like a bandaid over a complete solution of having more granular permissions. Permissions are complicated in Roblox, and the goal is to spend time to iron out this system and come up with solutions to this problem.

Why has this been changed? Having the functionality would be nice despite this update being meant to bring together the game permissions in a sensible way

Individual users that have no relationship to the group didn’t make much sense from a product stand-point. We will keep this in mind as we refine permissions.

@kenami
Groups with several projects going on have trouble doing accurate % revenues

Yes, we recognize this as an issue. It was out of scope for this project.

@cloakedyoshi
This is phenomenal. Do these “play” perms bypass paid access to allow for testing?

Currently, they do not. This is a great feature request and I have noted it.

@Veesom
Would have blown me away if you could have included my feature request from quite a while ago.

This was for inside of Studio only. I will pass on this information to the relevant team. Thanks!

19 Likes

Am I able to give someone free access to a paid access game? I believe it was requested before but I’m curious if it was actually implemented.

8 Likes

I understand that. Similar to the post I linked, just within studio instead of within a group.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. And yea, I could imagine designating permissions can get troublesum in a platform as large as ROBLOX. I mean I had some issue writing mixed permissions in my admin! (oh man now I have to handle for this edge case :l)

Do you have any answer on the other question I asked by the way?

@grilme99 This might relate to you

5 Likes

My local plugins stopped working around the time of this announcement. Was something changed about them with this update?

2 Likes

This is a very great update! Just found it in studio after seeing this post.

1 Like

Been waiting for this for a while. I’m so glad they finally released it! This will be very helpful in the near future.

Why can we no longer add groups to a game to allow everyone in that group to, at the minimum play?

The DevRel lead QA team used this feature to allow groups of testers to be whitelisted to the game easily - now we either have to manually add them if the place isn’t a group game since we can’t add individuals to group games anymore.

Many of the games being tested have relied on scripts we’ve provided to allow access to users in the QA group as well, but this would easily be solved instead by this feature continuing to support these features.

24 Likes

Mom get the laptop.

This is going to help me on my development, i always wanted this feature:

I have some friends and sometimes i ask them to help me on testing a new feature in my up-coming game. Or sometimes the friends of my friend are going to help me. Well, with this feature, i don’t need to set my game to Public, and have a very very very very very very very and very * 100 chance that a stranger join my game, or a friend join me, when i didn’t asked him to join. This is going to help me alot, thanks!

3 Likes

This will be helpful for permission-based development in my opinion. I am always concerned about game security with my developers and even the roles in the group that gives dev privileges. I was looking forwards to this as I can manage it better and more securely to fit the need of what my devs can do. Looking forward to using this.

6 Likes

@kingdom5 finally! Been waiting for this for a while

3 Likes