Introduction thread for new forum members

Hi everyone! I’m Extuls or ‘ex’ or ‘e’ or just don’t address me by name if that’s what you wish and I’ve been on Roblox off and on for over nine years now. I learned about Roblox from my friends since they never stopped talking about it, and only finally joined January of 2009 when I gained access to a computer that wasn’t from the stone age.

I started developing on Roblox the same way I assume anyone did in the time I joined; Stacking a lot of blocks in my ‘Happy Home in Robloxia’. I usually played obstacle courses since my favorite type of game to play has always been platformers. Eventually I wanted to make my own, and eventually found my way to Roblox Studio. After putting together my own obstacle course with whatever fun free models I could find and running an ad I made in MS Paint, my game surfaced and people were playing it. I didn’t understand why, but I liked it.

This lead to me wanting to learn how to do more with the tools studio had, and so I decided to learn how to script. It didn’t actually go well. Neither did the next three attempts. But hey I’m a scripter now since I finally came to get past the barrier I couldn’t cross. I sort of do other things too, I’m a novice builder (I only really build when I need to), and I’ve used Blender sometimes but I don’t know a lot about that.

It’s always fun to see what people come up with on Roblox, whether it’s something brand new, or even an improvement or twist on something that already exists. I don’t know what any of my specific goals are at this time, but I hope whatever I come up with is a fun experience for anyone who plays it. I’ve worked on quite a few personal projects, but I guess I’m not okay with releasing something I’m not proud of or don’t find fun myself.

Anyway to conclude I have a Twitter but I never post for some reason. If you’re looking to follow someone who won’t crowd your feed, I’m your guy (@extuls).

Hope to meet or even help some amazing people.

6 Likes

Well I’m Fedora, I found ROBLOX when my friend show it to me at our library in 2012 and I’ve been here ever since. From about 2013 I’ve tried to make “games” (places filled with free models that I edited) and started making GFX in 2015. From there I’ve grown to create much better GFX and have made a name for myself in that. My goals are to meet some new people, and perhaps find some people to collaborate with on future projects!

5 Likes

Hey guys I’m Nuinik, I found ROBLOX when my friend told me about it and I just started to get into it, playing older games and having fun. I’ve been here since 2012 and I began my developing fun in around 2014 when I opened a free modeled theatre but then I thought I could make a unique game. So I decided to try making my own. It looked terrible but I continued to develop until my developments lead to amazing creations. That point on I realized that I want to be a developer and try to make a game that everyone can enjoy! I then learned about Developer Forums and I fell in love with taking my developments to a step higher then I was at. I wanted to get better with my developments and I want to work with others to create something amazing with other developers and get to know some other developers.

6 Likes

hi i am two

i found Roblox through an ad sometime in september 2011, and i started developing around the time personal servers came out. i think the biggest thing i have done was a bit of work on R15 Animation Tester, and i currently have no significant goals or projects that i’m working on right now. i consider myself a builder.

i’m pretty bad with introducing myself so i may be forgetting something here
thank you for inviting me to the devforums

6 Likes

Hey, everyone! I’m so glad I was accepted into the developer forum. I started Roblox back in 2010 and I couldn’t even use Roblox Studio. A few youtube videos later, I have nearly 8 million visits! Roblox is a place where players learn, create, and inspire. I am still learning, creating, and being inspired. I’ve been on the site for around 8 years now, and hope to be apart of the community for many more. Thanks for having me!

7 Likes

Hi i’m new here on the Devforums i wanted to join since i seen many other good developers go on here and lots of people on here a really nice people and a huge community! In the coming years and years i hope i can make a game that everyone likes and its really fun to play. I joined Roblox back in 2012 on my main account then as time goes on i get addicted to Roblox every time i turn on my PC. My Role is to Build and help others. I have learn a lot through the years of the game. current goals N/A at the moment cause school is in the way and dont have enough time to make a project!

The image shown is recreation of the two maps in North America the countries are USA and Canada map i made this about in scratch mode but i did the rest on my own till i get the map lines just right. (note the image not in High high quality since i just screenshot it i did this project a while ago i had fun making it!

7 Likes

I wanted to say first off, thanks for accepting me! I’m super excited!

I’m Conmmander, and I found roblox when I was younger and playing on someones phone. I got started developing a few years ago, as I always wanted to create my own game. My goal is to create a front page game, or at least a successful game. I primarily Program, and I can do some decent UI designs and build a little. I’m also colorblind which makes working hard sometimes. Again thanks for accepting me, and I look forward to contributing here!

5 Likes

Hey there fellow DevForumers, can’t believe I made it to the DevForums after a few years of developing on Roblox. It’s been a goal of mine since I found out about it - although it was much more exclusive back then. Nonetheless, I’m still looking forward to my time here in such a great community of like-minded people, can’t wait to contribute and get involved!

How did you find Roblox?
A friend showed me it back in 2010, it was completely unlike any game of it’s time. Now I realise it’s more than just a game, it’s an imagination and creation platform which has become a hobby.
How did you get started with development on the Roblox platform?
I had always wanted to know how to script after inserting my first code-door and looking at the code in it - I couldn’t even find where to change the code so I got my brother to do that for me! Seemed like a huge task ahead but it turned out to be fun and interesting, it completely changed my mind about what I wanted to do when I was older as I now really enjoy programming. At first I just copied other scripts and edited them, to me they looked fairly self explanatory. By doing this, I was able to see how everything worked and how it needed to be formatted. Once I had some basic knowledge on functions, events and loops I was able to make my own scripts. For things I was unsure of, I looked it up on the Wiki or if I knew of another script that achieved what I wanted to do, I inserted it, looked at it to see how they did it and tried recreating it. If recreating it didn’t work, I copied the bit of code I needed so that I could come back to it and try to understand it another time.
Current goals/achievements on the platform:
I’m a joint president of an airline on Roblox, Kenya Airways and I’m always trying to improve it to be seen as a quality airline, which it has not been seen as in the past. I’m looking to constantly improve my knowledge of programming and am learning some great practises.
What is your role in the developer community?
I’m a programmer, small scale builder and average UI designer, I lose motivation after building big things as I like everything to be perfect in every detail so I end up giving up and abandoning them due to the time it takes. I always admire the amazing creations some of the developers out there make brick by brick, it’s truely mind-blowing. I really enjoy programming and UI designing although my UI designing skills aren’t the best.

6 Likes

Hello. I’m Saudi_Arab (I bet this username won’t last long as it’s a running gag for me to change it every few months) and I’m very excited to be a part of the DevForum - I can’t wait to see what else is in store!

I found ROBLOX a decade ago (August 8, 2008) to be exact on what used to be my longest-running main account. I discovered it while I was browsing YouTube and saw the classic 2008 advertisement that showed a sped-up build of a basic place with two glass buildings and a montage of what you can do in ROBLOX.

When I first started out on ROBLOX, I was developing (back then, it was called ‘building’) random stuff on the starter baseplate because I was still a newbie to ROBLOX Studio. If I can recall that long ago, my first ever ‘actual’ model was a simple diesel train that was based on the “NXTransit” scale (12 studs wide chassis). Since then, I’ve experimented with CFrame and my models got more and more detailed each time. Mind you, I did not have the tools (CSG, custom meshes, custom audio, etc.) back then, so building was pretty hard.

My current achievements since my original join date mentioned above are creating simple yet helpful trains for the ‘train community’ on ROBLOX, working for member-only railway operations groups such as “Union Pacific” by Metrotren as an example, being one of the three main developers for Twin Rail (the group that owns Terminal Railways, train game for everyone), and my largest achievement is being the lead developer for Rails Unlimited, a prototype game similar to Terminal Railways, but also very different at the same time.

One of my current goals is to finish the major holes in Rails Unlimited’s development. Currently, I’m paired up with two other secondary developers; they’re actually scripters. Our game is still in the beta stage and requires a lot of work as we are adding features that will be the first-ever (unless someone else beat us to it :stuck_out_tongue:) to be in ROBLOX train games.

In the developer community, my role is being a builder. Like mentioned earlier, I built trains for Terminal Railways, and now I build trains for my own game. I also consider myself a GFX developer, as the thumbnails, game icons, in-game decals/buttons/liveries in Rails Unlimited are hand-made. I can do some scripting, but it’s not very advanced and it’s mostly for just changing properties of an item or playing a sound.

Finally, one last thing that I’d like to include in my rather long introduction is that I am a very good visualizer. When I build trains (or anything, actually), I don’t upload blueprints as decals and then slap them on a part as a reference because of this skill (also because it takes extra work and time and I also fear I might miss erasing unreadable text or accidentally retain a watermark with an offsite link in it). Instead, I can simply pull up an image from a site itself and just use pure eyesight to go from there. Sure, it may produce some sizing inaccuracies at times and it can be a bit tedious to switch windows constantly, but in the end, it’s all worth it.

7 Likes

Hello I’m new here, thanks for having me.

I found Roblox while searching for online lego games and got kinda hooked on it. When I first started I would mostly make models for a friend who knew scripting, and then later I traded in my building tools for scripting. Once I started that I was hooked on programming for life! Since then I have enrolled in Game Programming at my school and I’m almost done getting my bachelors degree. So I’ve gotten pretty good with scripting/programming.

Thanks,
Curtisornot

5 Likes

Hey everyone! I’m WhySoMysterious or Mystery and I’m really excited to be in the forums!

I mostly build for development, and have made some maps and assets for certain games. I first joined ROBLOX in 2011, and spent the year just exploring the available games at the time, it was a great experience and one of my favourite memories. I didn’t pick up a major interest in building until 2012, but have loved it ever since. I’m currently hoping to gain experience and become a more mature and established builder while also developing my scripting, modeling, and composition skills.

Either way, I could go on forever because I’m just really happy to be here but I can’t wait to see what the forums have to offer and to have the chance to get to know people here better!

Regards,
Mystery

6 Likes

How did you find Roblox?
Well back in 2008 I was on a website called "ChallengeYou."
On this website you could also make games, but completely different to what Roblox was.
I think I saw a Roblox ad or somehow landed on Roblox through it. Literally got into the studio my first day on Roblox. 11/8/2008.

How did you get started with development on the Roblox platform?
Somehow I had an innate need to script. I went on free models and started with a leaked version of Are92’s Minigames a long time ago. Started by editing his scripts.

Current goals/achievements on the platform
Make the best games possible.

What is your role in the developer community? (eg. GFX, UI Designer, Programmer, Builder etc)
I script. I can build but not as well as I can script, and I enjoy programming way more. I also make music for our games sometimes.

Anything else you would like to include
hi

5 Likes

Hello everyone, my name is Aceguy100. I have been a member of roblox since 2011 on an alternate account and since 2013 on this account. I was looking for building games. So later in 2015 I decided I wanted to build a game called skills courses. It was at a time of my amateur building and it was a typical obstacle game. I still love obstacle courses so I am currently making way better one at the moment called biome dash. As I mentioned before, I am indeed a builder. My goal is to make a game that is challenging that everyone can enjoy. Thanks for reading! And thanks for giving me an opportunity to be in the dev forum.

5 Likes

Hello, I’m KardashianKlan and I am nineteen years old. I’m pretty new here on Roblox, I started my account in the summer of 2016. Previously, I developed on another platform and was introduced to Roblox by a close friend.

On Roblox, I was instantly drawn to the dance/gymnastics community. I started my own game and group later in 2016. I’m particularly interested in visual design and community management. I’m very happy to say I’ve reached one million plays, and a little over 35,000 group members. My main goal is to continue learning and expanding my skills as a developer, as I have so much more to learn! :smile:

6 Likes

Hello, I am Triple // Ben, a GFX artist who started learning Blender in early 2016. I don’t really understand how I got into here to be honest, as the work I submitted is extremely outdated from my current potential. I am really excited to be a part of this community and even though I’m a basic user, I hope to participate and contribute to this forum to my fullest potential! This is my current project, It may not seem like much without the rendering, lighting, and textures, but I have learned all my skills from youtube and by teaching myself through constantly messing things up!

About me: I’m 13 years old, I enjoy Vaporwave, I love retro Aesthetics, My music taste is mostly 80’s and 90’s and vaporwave, but some modern stuff is mixed in, and I have a passion for video games, wrestling, and cross country!

Current Project:

6 Likes

Why hello there,

I am SturdyStubs. I am part of the wave of new members for January’s basic user program. I am a builder who works on many projects and loves to build and a logo designer. I am not big into art such as game thumbnails using 3d rendering programs as much because it isn’t really in my art style.

Thank you for being so kind to us new basic user members as it can be stressful especially because we may cause a nuisance to threads.

6 Likes

Hey everyone. I’m coolbulls and I found Roblox back in 2008 through an advertisement. I got into development after seeing some of the top creations at the time and thinking that I wanted to be where they were at.

I’ve topped most popular multiple times since 2009 and Top Rated a couple months back so I’m satisfied with what I’ve done. The only goal left is getting on Top Earning.

I would classify myself as a programmer if I had to but right now I’m mostly experimenting with game optimization via analytics as well as acquisition and growth strategies so part product manager and part programmer. I believe that by targeting such a niche skill set it is possible to hold an advantage over those who solely focus on development

If anyone is interested in discussing these things feel free to contact me. I’m looking forward to contributing to the developer community!

5 Likes

Here is my story:
I was looking for a free first-person shooter game online in the middle of the school semester. My plan was to binge play a game, get a 10.5 KDR, delete the game, and move on with life. My crazy roommate suggested I play a game catered towards 10-year-olds. I was pretty skeptical, but he showed me the Roblox game “Phantom Forces” and we ended up playing it till 5:00 AM in the morning 720 no scoping everyone while jumping off the crane.

A semester later, I got addicted to scripting and creating games. I got into the actual game development portion when I was teaching a Cybersecurity summer camp. Some of the kids I was teaching were already developers on Roblox, and in a way, they became my teacher. They gave me a strong feel for the Roblox community outside of Phantom Forces. I ended spending most of the summer reading Roblox wiki articles and watching tutorials from the legend himself, AlvinBlox.

My current goals on this development platform are to contribute to the community of developers and to build a following. Even though this is mainly a children’s game, I have been exposed to so many complex programming concepts through talking with other like-minded developers like Graph Theory, Time Complexity of Algorithms, Neural Nets, etc. (better than college, and costs $36k less a year)

My main role on Roblox is scripting, but for most of my games, I have designed the UI and built all the maps/models.

7 Likes

Hello, I am Geckoco.
I do a lot of things on ROBLOX such as build planes , trains and stage lights. One of the main things I do on ROBLOX is light shows, everything in a show of mine is made by me, due to the fact the rest of the roblox lighting community still uses CFrame or morphs of my original lighting system, and the shows are mostly operated by, with a few exceptions, I hire people to help with pyrotechnics and a few other things.

I have been trying for quite some time now to join the developer forum, first started trying about a year ago in the hopes I could come to the Dev Conference, but that never happened :/.

Cya

4 Likes

Hey there! I’m so happy to have been accepted to the RBX Dev Forum after 6 to 7 years on this wonderful game. I look forward to meeting some of you and being around the Forum. Have a nice day, thank you and God bless!

8 Likes