Introduction to Making Music

Ahh, music Every game should have it. No one wants to play a game without music! It’s a vital add on that is used everywhere and so frequently that we don’t know that it’s there until it’s gone.

This tutorial here will explain the basis of music-making. For this tutorial, I will be using a free music software called Musescore(I chose this because I’m broke). I would recommend getting it for this tutorial. I will also be using the instrument called, “Piano” for this tutorial.

This tutorial will also require decent knowledge of the vocabulary and what things mean. For example, the note names, bass clef, treble clef, etc.

This thread may benefit you in understanding this topic:

The first thing you have to do is think of a chord progression. Let’s take the overused chord progression, which uses the notes A, F, C, G in order respectively. I’m certain you have heard it before:

Capture

But it’s kind of shabby and really simplistic. Let’s make them into actual chords, which are notes stacked upon each other to make harmony. Here’s what it sounds like now:

Capture

Ahh, sounding much better. But not quite there yet. Chords have inversions. How inversions are made is you stack the same notes on top of each other. This image shows the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd inversion of the first chord(A Minor Chord):

And this is what it would sound like:

So, let’s just add some different inversions to our chords, which will be labelled as first, second, or third inversion:
Capture
This is what it would sound like:

It sounds a bit better, but not much is going on. This is where rhythm comes in. Rhythm is the length of the notes. Let’s take some overused rhythm used in pop culture:

Recognize that? Now let’s just make our melody have a similar rhythm:

Not bad! It just sounds a bit empty. When you make music, it doesn’t hurt to edit some things here and there.

There we go, we have the bass line done. And for the sake and simplicity of this tutorial, I will be using the same chords and rhythm for the bass line all the way through, meaning that I will just copy and paste the bassline. Now it’s time for the melody.

I usually like to start the melody as quieter, or maybe it’s just the bassline playing for the first four or eight bars. This time I will start with a quiet melody.

Capture

Oh, my, gosh. What? Yes, I’ve added some notes, but notice how I used the same notes as I used in the bassline. For example, in bar one, there are only 3 different notes: A, C, and E ace!. This applies to all the bars. But, the rhythm! It’s also complicated! Actually, I just thought of one rhythm line and basically used the same rhythm on every bar with, of course, a few modifications so that it doesn’t get too repetitive. The last bar is what we call an arpeggio, which is basically a chord but you play each note individually. I put some extra notes in there to add some spice.

Oh, wow! We’re past the basics! Now what? Slap on a catchy title for the song and add special effects. Also, make the song longer using the same idea. I will also add some dynamics(loud/soft). These are just for fun since this is more of a beginner’s tutorial. I will be adding in violins, just because I want you to cry. And maybe a french horn because it sounds good.

Here’s the whole not even long song.

Corruption so sad, I’m crying

Oh, and here is the sheet music:

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial, this is my very first tutorial! Have a nice day!

69 Likes

I love this tutorial! I’m a pianist myself but I don’t know how to make a decent song or know what kind of software to use for composing. This is really helpful! Thanks :smile: (I’ll be bookmarking this because I’ll need it)

3 Likes

This is the main method of composing. However, in my method of composing, there’s a lot of different methods used, especially remembering where the fifth is.

Out of many starting methods:

• Build the bassline first
  • Set up the drums for rhythm
  • Harmonize the bassline with the melody

or

• Set the drums up for the rhythm
  • Build the bassline from the rhythm

And to finalize the result, I usually add synth pads or any ambient instrument to fill in the empty. Although sometimes the emptiness can emphasize something by creating “choppy” music or ambient.

6 Likes

I’m also a pianist but in music class/piano lessons I only make decent songs.

3 Likes

It took me 5 minutes to create a song lol. Thank you!

2 Likes

I would not have thought I’d read a piano tutorial on a Roblox forum, but it was very informative. Thank you!

3 Likes

I used to produce, But since I was getting an interest in programming I lost my motivation for producing. But reading this inspired me to get onto producing again :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks!

1 Like

I created my first song here: (for Chocoblox Factory Tycoon)

and my second song which is like way better in my opinion: (for a project for my friend called Project Warships)

8 Likes

Whenever I try to make music that includes the piano, I end up making a song that sounds familiar to another one, or is nearly the same.

Fantastic tutorial. Really helpful and useful. Thanks so much for posting it!

Take care with this; the volume seems kind of loud…Here’s my first crack at writing a score.

6 Likes