Inverse Kinematics Characters *Now Uncopylocked*

You can play with them here:

3 Likes

I was disturbed.

[spoiler]

[center]

[/center][/spoiler]

This is awesome, though. Did they actually ask you to make this, or did you just hammer it out on your lunch break?

This is great! Walking at different speeds looks very smooth.

Stravant saw some people doing some basic kinematics with arms. So he decided to make a full character! :smiley:

Maybe it was just a coincidence. Great job, Stravant! Are you using the law of sines for this?

1 Like

“Did they actually ask you to make this”

This is part of another games team project. I’ve got other stuff in the works in my free time.

“Are you using the law of sines for this?”

I wish. If you look closely you’ll notice that the knee joints have a non-constant length (longer when bent, so that the upper / lower leg segments don’t intersect very much even at a 180 degree bend, but the knee joint is still small when straight), so I actually have to use an iterative approximation to figure out what the best positioning is. To be exact, I construct a function of “length” vs “bend factor” and solve it for length factor = target value via binary search (finding where f(x) = 0 by splitting the interval into the “half where f(x) crosses the line y=0” and the “half where it doesn’t”, and recursing on the half where it does until I’ve narrowed it down to a suitably small interval)

treyrenolds is going to be mad.

(or glad, I don’t know)

The video looks like a dancing robot.
This is sweet.

i for one welcome our new robot overlords.

1 Like

Nifty legs. I could stand on other people’s legs. c:

Unfortunately didn’t work out for what I was trying, so open sourced it.

Feel free to play around with it / use it for stuff. Good luck trying to read the code though, I haven’t refactored it into anything remotely readable, so you’re getting the raw stream-of-consciousness code.