Inverse Kinematics Control Instance for animation is now in Beta!

How would I go about making feet reacting to the environment?

1 Like

Watch how to make procedural animations for unity u might understand from that and apply it to roblox

3 Likes

Have seen the same thing, noticed yesterday. FPS drops to single digits when IK is enabled.

4 Likes

+1 to the FPS drop issue as well :raised_hands: also can pinpoint the issue is related to dummy humanoid contains saved IK animation keyframe and removing those animation keyframe from workspace solved the FPS drop issue

Also, would like to ask about the approximate timeframe that we can use IK control instance in live game and not only in studio? :man_bowing:

1 Like

cool lol.

5 Likes

This is handy for making doors more immersive!

12 Likes

Hi, thank you for your feedback. We’ve recently released an update that should fix the issue you were having with your own rig with motors, please check if it now works for you.

When you say “no bones in the chain”, do you mean having EndEffector same as ChainRoot or EndEffector the direct child of ChainRoot in the rig?

2 Likes

Glad you fixed it. We’ve released an update that makes the place you provide work properly.

1 Like

I unfortunately cannot give an exact date by when we’ll release this, but we’re working on getting this out ASAP.

3 Likes

Could you provide privately a .rbxl so I can have a look at what’s going on?

1 Like

We’ve released an update that fixed issues with custom rigs. Please try again and let me know if it works. You should make sure that the IKControl is under your Humanoid or AnimationController and that there is an Animator present.

1 Like

This is a great point. We’re still working on tuning performance and making the ik solver run in parallel. The goal is to make it as lightweight as possible to enable 100s of IKControl enabled at the same time. We have a way to control the number of iterations behind the scenes based on animation Lod, we’re still discussing if we should expose it. On one hand that gives developers more control, but it makes it also more daunting to use.
You’re correct, it’s iterative and we’re using different solvers based on the setup, currently FABRIK and CCD.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback! In case you have more details on what didn’t work as well as you were expecting please share them so I can improve them, thanks.

1 Like

Please try again and lmk if it works, we’ve recently released an update that fixed issues with custom rig setups.

1 Like

Yes, we’ll release a demo place with all the use cases above + additional ones before exiting beta.

6 Likes

Yes, this is because IKControls are currently in beta and beta features are not allowed in games. We’re planning to release soon, so it will soon be available :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s great to hear!
partially also got the idea from Blender and if I recall Unreal Engine has it too?

You can basically configure how many quality steps the IK solver uses to achieve it’s goal.
Lower steps for better performance at the cost of accuracy
and higher steps for better quality and higher accuracy at the cost of performance and speed.

I found it pretty useful settings as I often set it to a value that results in good-looking knee/elbow bends and doesn’t use more steps than I need to keep a perfect balance between performance and quality.

Some rigs (often simple ones) usually don’t require a lot of steps depending on how you use them.
I found that legs for instance, would sometimes glitch when bend too far or trying to reach a difficult goal but fixed those problems by limiting the goal’s distance for example to keep it fast and minimize the glitching.

I could sometimes get away with using a very small and minimal amount of steps as long as I didn’t move the goal too far out of reach or in an awkward position which made things a ton faster and more performant and allowed me to have more active IK instances. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’ve released an update that re-enables pole, please try again and let me know if it works. Thanks

2 Likes

We’re still ironing out some issues with R6, having a single part makes finding a solution impossible in many cases so we’re testing what provides the best-looking result.

2 Likes

This should now be fixed with the latest update, please try again and lmk if it works

1 Like