Investing into a revamp of my game

Out of curiosity, I would like to ask this. This seems like a driving-genre game. What’s more special about this upcoming game than other commonly played driving games on Roblox?

2 Likes

Another question. Why did you post this here if you only started the game a week ago. Don’t you think it would have been better to get some more work done before showing it off? (Although I understand the urge to show off your game, all devs have it)

I think it is important to showcase all stages of the development process, as many people never see most of it, so that is what gives it the “cool” factor. You see the before now, and then in a few months, you see the after.

First I want to say, man I love your game, I’ve played it before and I just love everything about it! Second, man I’m hyped!! Seeing a game which I myself played and enjoyed getting a update is an extraordinary feeling! I’m very excited!

Although wanted to mention this for awhile, while I played your game before, driving in first person wasn’t that great and it never felt “real” by that I mean once the camera was zoomed into the car (first person), it didn’t seem to stay in it’s position, I’d have to move my camera while driving in first person and I mean if that were to be fixed, it’d be amazing!

Wish the best luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you going to update this post when you have more progress or are you going to make a new post? I am interested.

Not sure 100% yet, but I think I may make future posts showcasing finalized versions of areas, and the beginnings of other ones. Then, I’d link this post as a “before” :man_shrugging:

The post is more about the design process than stunning graphics, and that is the cool factor. It gives people something to use as a benchmark/inspiration in their own development process

Nice, do you mind telling me what type of game it is? Genre? Theme? Objective? I like the map so far though, and I’m sure the building style will blend together more as you continue your developing process.

It’s an open world driving/racing game, you progress by buying new cars, upgrading them, racing, etc.

The current game is available here, but do note that it was developed as a solo project to obtain funding to finance this, so the quality on it is terrible.

1 Like

He most likely can’t do that as it’s a car game and younger people will be playing it, therefore they probably are on mobile. And phones don’t have gtx 1050ti’s

This looks promising, massive respect for the talent.

I don’t want to be a party pooper, but I hope roblox servers are available to handle this. (They should upgrade their servers). But since based off what I’m seeing I’m sure you’ll handle it.

Post-processing affects are not that expensive in terms of needed hardware. They can be added without too much of a performance hit.

2 Likes

For those asking about the quality benchmark, here is a project that a smaller team and I created a few months ago to check out how well things perform. Generally, we’ve found a map like this to perform better than a map built with parts. We’re using future lighting, PBR, etc. and it runs well on mobile.

It is around the same quality as what the map above will look like when completed, though we are a little unsure of how far we’ll take detail because it is much larger than this one.

This map costed around $60k to develop.

16 Likes

Dang, that’s a lot of work and money. Anyways good luck with your project, I hope this game can reach the front page so that you can earn the money back.

Something I’ve noticed is that you don’t tend to use post-processing effects, however I can tell you that these effects really make or break the user experience. Here is an example:

With Density settings only:

Without:

!

With:

!

Especially the color correction effect and atmosphere. You can use color correction in cold areas to make the colors more blue and feel colder, while in a more vibrant setting you can use more lively colors to make colors blend in well together.

Also it is important to use the Atmosphere affect. Here are some comparisons:

With the Offset setting only:

Without:

With:

With the Density setting only:

Without:

With:

In conclusion, post-processing effects set the mood for a game and can make-or-break the user experience. I highly reccomend you read more about it here:

(Yes this took me a long time to type)

3 Likes

I do agree with you.

We originally set up post processing, but, current code systems in the game do not support them, and we’re busy chugging along on the revamp, so we haven’t got around to adding them to the game yet :slight_smile:

That is a LOT of money. I personally don’t think it wise that you took all of your money that you got from Vehicle legends and put it into another game. It is risky for sure.

I feel like 2.8 million is way too much, you can get more or less the same results but with less prominent developers from less big games. It is extremely risky but so far it looks like it will pay off.
@SwedishRaptor Developers from big games can work on other games with other platforms. I don’t think you comprehend how much money you can get from working with Roblox and when you have a degree, worked with big names like Rockstar and there are companies and wealthy people investing in Roblox is a good opportunity and if you worked on games like GTA in the past, it would be silly to pass up this type of opportunity since working with studio would require less work and less time than making a game with Unity or other softwares.

2 Likes

I’m excited to see how this turns out judging on the other screenshots you shared for stress testing :slight_smile:

bloxburg has made wayyyy more than 2.8 million

1 Like

Well yes, of course they have. They have been here for upwards of 6 years, but in a timeframe like a couple months-year, they would make about that much.

2 Likes

This game looks very exciting, however 2.8 million dollars is far too much for a Roblox game, and a huge massive waste to your life permanently. You have to find a way to budget yourself, or you’re shooting yourself in the chest for the rest of your life. What if this doesn’t go as you’d expect? Also, what you have shown so far is maybe worth a few hundred thousand dollars if integrated into a full game. Games that can afford this kind of investment would only be ones that amass multiple hundred thousands of players, but even then it’d be much easier to just invest it into retirement plans if you’re looking to work a more personable job in the future or live off it.

You’re successful, but you could be throwing it all away. Remember, big showy lights and visuals doesn’t define a game; gameplay does. Players don’t really care about detail past a certain threshold, and it’ll be tedious to keep it not laggy for lower-end devices.

4 Likes