Is advertising on the ROBLOX site useless now?

It’s been known that ROBLOX stopped letting ads of any sort be seen to those under 13. And it’s also been known that the remnants of the advertising system are also dominated by very rich entities like GameFam. And and, it’s been known that over the last few years, sponsorships have been increasingly and increasingly made less visible on the site.

Is running ads pointless on ROBLOX now? 50%, if not more, of potential players cannot see your ads anymore, and if you’re not dropping obscene amounts of money on advertisements, it seems like it’s pointless to run ads on the site.

I know a big thing recently is games paying social media influencers on Twitter, TikTok, or Youtube to make content on games. Would it be smarter to use the 50-100k I was going to use on running ads and sponsorships on social media content instead?

11 Likes

yea seems pretty useless because 75% of Roblox players are under the age of 13

4 Likes

I don’t know, I ran an ad for my army group recently and all accounts seemed underage just at the “books cover”, and yes, it does seem useless, because when I run ads I can never find the right audience, but sponsorships is more in depth and useful.

1 Like

Sponsorships are better. They are way more visible than ads.

1 Like

Pretty much, yeah. It was always overhyped and didn’t play that big of a part in the game’s actual success. It was just a small supplementary tool.
The best way to advertise still remains Social Media. That’s how I usually found games.

I’ve heard the complete opposite.

They really aren’t. I did a comparison by doing 10k on both and got more impressions on the sponsorship, but way more clicks on the user ad.

2 Likes

I have heard that ads are better

1 Like

Let me show you the difference between now and 2021. This was a sponsored ad for the first game I made:

(I changed the icon after the ad, hence the mismatched size)
Anyways, it includes the age group <13, and for 800 Robux I got 1.3million impressions. It was run midnight Saturday to midnight Sunday. Now let me show you what 2000 Robux will get you in 2023

The Jul 21 one was from late Friday afternoon to late Saturday afternoon. For 1000 robux it got 61’010 impressions. So is advertising on Roblox useless now? Not necessarily useless, just like 10x as expensive. Maybe it’s because they might be targeting better now, but I doubt it

3 Likes

I have heard that it could also be bots too. Liking, disliking, or favoriting a game via bots was a pretty common tactic, where people would create accounts and run them on virtual machines IIRC to bot the hell out of a game. Since ROBLOX stopped supporting 32 bit devices, it seems like impressions has cratered - could this be it?

Sponsors are still pretty strong in 2023. I’ve found that setting the age recommendation to 17+ is somewhat effective, as many kids will set their account age very high to unlock all features.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s useless, my game runs ads 24/7 all week on sponsorships, ads might be eh but sponsorships have worked well for my verified group. Normal ads have had mixed results.

A couple of points looking at your stats…

• Impressions are an useless metric for ad performance comparison
  • You’re targetting 13-16 group in later ads which is not ideal if you want more players (like someone said, target or at least include 17+)
  • You started targetting “any gender” which might be the reason why both cost per click and cost per play got more expensive, since most ladies aren’t hyped about space tycoons

With some audience adjustments you might get double or even tripple player amount for the same price.

I have started a thread where I post my findings related to sponsored ads and test out various icons/audience configurations.

1 Like

Well, it isn’t that useless but if you want to really boost your game MAYBE use sponsorships.

Yeah that’s true. I experimented a bit and 17+ male had a way higher CTR and Conversion rate with lower CPC/CPP.
Like compare 5’000 impressions with 81 clicks (R$400) to the original 70’000 impressions with 63 clicks (R$1000)

I do still think though that there is less reach than there used to be. But how much of an impact that reach difference actually has, + the decrease in fake accounts, is questionable. But it seems to have had less of an impact than I thought

1 Like

Advertising on Roblox is a bit unreasonable right now, it may be more beneficial for you if you advertise your game to popular roblox games by paying less robux instead.

just make an ad on yt shorts, you can get thousands of players with little to no effort, other than a good trailer

What are some tips for making a good YT short?

I’ve never actually done this before, but I have seen shorts get over 1k views in the first day;

I would recommend good game design and try to stay away from advertising P2W game mechanics. Use good graphics and have something presentable that people would like, and boom.

1k views on shorts only translates to a few visits, so that isn’t saying much…

(Sorry for bumping the topic btw)

1 Like