Is detecting player's age allowed

Is this allowed:

Code

function GetUnder13(player)
wait(0.3)
if game:GetService(“Chat”):FilterStringAsync(“13”, player, player):match("#") then
print(player.Name … " is Under 13")
game.ReplicatedStorage.AgeIndicator.SetAgeIsUnder13:FireClient(player, true)
else
print(player.Name … " is Over 13")
game.ReplicatedStorage.AgeIndicator.SetAgeIsUnder13:FireClient(player, false)
end

if game:GetService("RunService"):IsStudio() then
	print("Age detector doesn't work on studio")
end

end

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(GetUnder13)
– Does not work on studio

–while true do
– wait(0.1)
– game.ReplicatedStorage.AgeIndicator.SetAgeIsUnder13:FireAllClients(false)
– wait(0.1)
– game.ReplicatedStorage.AgeIndicator.SetAgeIsUnder13:FireAllClients(true)
–end

6 Likes

What’s the point of this? Seriously. It’s allowed but why would a person want to put this in their game, it would detect too many false-positives as under-13 players.

6 Likes

No. It violates COPPA since age is part of PII. Also, Roblox doesn’t want developers discriminating players based on age. Also, kids fake their age all the time.

@Kensizo fair enough, but discriminating users based on their age does violate ToS. Roblox doesn’t want developers discriminating that, or religion, gender, and a few more things.

16 Likes

It doesn’t violate COPPA because the code he listed literally is not even getting the player’s age. There is NO WAY to get a player’s age on Roblox, what would be a violation to COPPA is Roblox providing the player’s birth on the settings page.

The code he provided would have another big issue, it would be that players would be detected as false-positives, as it’s only checking for a hashtag ( chat filter ). This does not break COPPA, but is extremely unnecessary.

Also make sure to take Trade Hangout as an example, there is a lot of Roblox games that discriminate players based on basically anything at this point. The system he made here is literally just a black list system for anyone who has their text filtered ( if they use a bad word it would false positive detect them ).

In conclusion, this is not needed and should not be attempted, and there is no possible damn way to get a player’s real age on Roblox, no matter what, there will never be a feature for this. COPPA is very strict and if this was a feature Roblox would also break privacy laws.

15 Likes

I don’t think it is allowed because of the COPPA law but if they can only see it then possibly? Okay, maybe if the game isn’t appropriate for kids then people will use it but what is even the point? They can just lie about their age so it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

No need to set false alarms. He isn’t asking for anything, I am not defending this user but all he’s doing is detecting if they filter their chat. This is super unneeded and I don’t think he should be attempting it anyways, as I explained in the paragraph.

2 Likes

True due to many players messing around with their age that they ended up can’t changing.

1 Like

It isn’t allowed. It violates COPPA as @incapaxx said. Also, kids put fake ages. @Kensizo there are millions of Topics with the same idea whitch all decided it is not allowed.

1 Like

So even a gui pop up asking to confirm your 13+ is a nono?

The roblox platform is set for all ages, meaning that they should be no age restriction for any scripts or games or perks.

The age is only used for Chatfilter and that it, your game should be set for all ages (Family Friendly)

In the other hand you can check Account Age (by days) to avoid new account or else, this is allowed tho.

It is certainly questionable why this feature is needed at all, I could see it being beneficial to subjugate players based on filtering if you own a social game however most other things wouldn’t even need to consider it. To begin with Roblox is rated as a 7+ game in some places, and it’s the duty of the parent to restrict content. Anything that is too mature is flagged and removed, look at games such as RoBio for example - games should not be too graphic or causing distraught.

In regards to the law: what would be illegal is actually giving them your date of birth or any personal data which would mean they could deduce your actual information. Roblox giving you features to subjugate based on age range would be fine as Roblox would make you aware this information is being used but you cannot directly ask for this information nor in Roblox can you ask for it full stop.

The better question would be “is what content I’m providing actually allowed on the platform” to which you should then consult the terms of service / rules.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s allowed or not there is a lot of game use it, I guess you can put it in.

It’s still possible to determine the player’s age by checking when their account turns <13+

Roblox even does not permit users under 13 to play games such as phantom forces because of the graphics. Also some items in the catalog state 13+.

1 Like

That is for the protection of children, it can be distressing for younger children to see violence to that scale and might encourage poor behaviour psychologically.

Scientists have suggested that children over 11 (approximately) show they have some mental capability / responsibility for their own actions - hence why it’s set to 13+ as they assume you know what a gun is and that they aren’t toys which you can shoot at each other.

Imagine the implications for example:

• 7 year old sees a gun he saw from Phantom Forces, he shoots his friend thinking he’ll just respawn as he has forgotten it’s a game. His friend is injured, the child doesn’t understand what he’s done and no one can be prosecuted to the full extent because the child doesn’t understand his actions. In law it’s starting to become a defence that people “forget its real life.”
3 Likes

And if this really gets enough in order for it to be put in, it should just be displayed here rather than having the player confirm themselves.

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 9.45.40 AM

Well again, it’s meant to be a game based on all ages - guns for example aren’t illegal nor do they need subjugating by law (because you could make the same defence with water guns) - it’s Roblox’s choice to do this as they want to create a family environment for all to enjoy.

I fairly disagree, just like any other game in the app store, it needs to have it’s own restrictions.

This is why we have been receiving complaints about what their child sees, from parents/guardians.

They suggested it. It’s not fact. An 7 year old is just as likely to shoot someone with a random gun they found on the floor thinking the person will respawn as a grown up, which is extremely unlikely. Also why would a 7 year old shoot their friend? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32uxpXGvdak

2 Likes