Is detecting player's age allowed

Yes that statement was somewhat unnecessary.

It is true that if young children grow up around good influences, they can be better than someone who does not. Who do you think would turn out better, a 7 year old playing a FPS game or another 7 year old playing something like a obby or playing with toys? There are also many horror games in ROBLOX, and that can also scare them or influence them.

Games don’t directly teach them what to do.

This concludes to why we need to have this feature but not asking the player in direct. But in other ways

Time to ask the age old question,

What’s your use case? This sounds completely unnecessary and just seems like a waste of resources, and having a green arrow attached to your avatar seems silly.

But then that’s the parent / guardians responsibility to stop their child seeing this stuff if it causes their child distraught - when I was 9 I was playing shooting games and it hasn’t had a single effect on me (nor did it upset me) - however I know a girl who’s the same age as me now who really gets discomforted by violent video games.

Roblox isn’t here to defend your children from what you don’t want them to see specifically, they are hear to defend them from things which are illegal / not good for them to see such as NSFW content or medical content as I can guarantee you I can give you search results which would make 98% of people throw up however a picture such as the mandalorian from Star Wars:

The Mandalorian- a bounty hunter who hunts down people - just looks like a person but should we not moderate him as he’s got a violent career. Should we moderate every single vehicle game now? You can run someone over in Jailbreak, should we moderate that? The better solution would be for parents to engage with children and explain to them how reality is and not make Roblox bubble wrap every child.

Side note: this is exactly what Roblox is doing, trying to make your parents engage more and be happy with the process.

2 Likes

I disagree. Kids do put fake ages, but games on ROBLOX are generally meant for kids younger than 13, because most people on this platform are under 13. There should be no script that sees if someone is older than 13. If it does, the game might actually get taken down, because if you are targeting a game towards older kids, there may be some things that are not appropriate for kids that are younger than 13.

Client side code

AgeIndicator = script.Parent.AgeIndicatorTextLabel
EventStorage = game.ReplicatedStorage.AgeIndicator.SetAgeIsUnder13

function SetAge(isUnder13)
if isUnder13 == true then
AgeIndicator.Text = “<13”
game.Workspace.Under13DeletionContent:Destroy()
else
AgeIndicator.Text = “13+”
end

end

EventStorage.OnClientEvent:Connect(SetAge)

Obviously people can’t control it themselves and people might even start a lawsuit so this is why this feature could help and defend from the people bringing it up. “Why didn’t you monitor your child setting up DOB”

I have a idea, but I think it haves 2 problems:

Steps:

User inputs his age
User gives a image of himself
An admin checks it

The problems:

It is violating COPPA is roblox us saving the photo (Whitch I think whould be needed)
Admins may be slow to verify

Oh my goodness this thread has spiraled out of control.
OP’s question asked if it was allowed or not. He did not ask for almost everything else in the responses. Sure it’s nice to let him know that there will probably be false fires, but if someone has said it don’t repeat them.

This does not violate Coppa as it does not directly get the players information. In order for it to violate Coppa, it would have to retrieve the day, month, and year of birth. Specific Identifying factors (correct me if I’m wrong). His code is just assigning the age based on a message.

6 Likes

Yes, I’m pretty sure Phantom Forces uses this and have they seem to have no problem.

It does violate coppa cause if there is a green arrow following you around then people can easily tell how old you are by checking when the green arrow is gone.

Again, it’s not revealing specific identifying factors. Saying someone is 13+ does not let someone know your exact age. Same thing with saying someone is under 13. You have no way of knowing how old/the exact age of the player is regardless of a green arrow or not.

Edit:
Now think of it logically; even if it did (which I’m pretty sure it does not) violate Coppa, Roblox would be at fault here, not there developer. The developer is gathering information that Roblox provides to guess if a player is over or under a certain age.

And yes I did read your post (@MrGuyROBLOX), and responding accordingly. I do not understand what is confusing in the way I responded. I told you why people do not know the player exact age. Please let me know what is confusing.

Yes it’s allowed.

It does not violate COPPA as @Kensizo explained very well

I understand this. Its if you want younger kids to not see material that is not suitable for them such as Fortnite (Rated T)

Edit: literally just read the whole chat now I feel like an idiot for saying that :neutral_face:

So from everyone in this thread, who agrees this should become a feature?

If you think this should be a feature then send it in #platform-feedback:engine-features because studio is extra tools

What flguynico2 said, let’s not go off topic for this thread. But I might as well create a topic suggesting restricting players based on age for a game… Although I have a feeling a lot of developers would go against that stating that “Roblox is a platform made for kids” or something along the lines of that.

Edit: It seems a suggestion has already been made for this

2 Likes

I am not saying anything about this because why should someone do this ?

so nothing from me