Is geometry needed?

So recently iam making list of things that i need learn like algebra and trigonometry, but its geometry needed? And have more things that i should learn?

1 Like

I would recommend to at least learn the basic trigonometric functions sine, cosine and tangent. Even knowing the very basic principles will allow you to create great things

2 Likes

Yes, Geometry is very important imo. Many things you code involving anything visual whether its a gun and/or FPS framework, swords, or simple UIs will probably at some point require at least basic geometry. Algebra is definitely needed for basic mathematics operations. If you aren’t that great with Geometry, trigonometry may be difficult.

@Salinas23 I just finished my hours worth of trig homework just to say “ahhh finally done with all this. no more sine,cosine,tangents,secant cosecents,contangents, or any more triangles tonight!” so casually I head over to the DevForum to see whats up and this is the first post I run into. Can’t I ever get away from math?? :joy:

2 Likes

It really depends on what you plan on doing. You can create a lot of seemingly complex things without that much knowledge of trig. Algebra can be useful, but not necessary in most cases.

I made this, and I’ve never been super good at math.

If you are taking algebra in school, and you get the jist of it, you don’t need to take extra “classes” in your spare time or anything.

Learning about the pythagorean theorem and getting a basic understanding of the usages of sin, cos, tan, asin, etc, is all I ever needed trig wise.

Basically, you don’t need to be a mathematician to make cool stuff. If you are trying to make complicated stuff, like custom physics, or things like springs and inverse kinematics, you will probably need to brush up on some of the higher level stuff in order to really grasp it well.

Basic math can do a whole lot but certain areas in coding require certain solutions that require higher level math. Apparently none of the problems I have faced require any advanced math oddly.

Iam not on School anymore i already have 18, but i never learned some important things