Is Moon Animator Worth it?

As an amateur animator, I’ve not yet purchased Moon Animator and have been making do with the Roblox Studio animation editor. It has been going well and I have made animations I am very proud of and are way beyond the first one I made but I don’t know if Moon Animator can take it to the next step.

Outside of animating, I heard Moon Animator has a lot of uses such as smoother animations and welding etc. Personally the best animations I have made are idle/action animations and worst animations I have made were run animations due to the fact my first ever animation was a run animation. The animation was very unnatural but I don’t know if that was due to my poor novice animating skills or if it’s a problem Moon Animator could potentially solve.

Now that Moon Animator is not free anymore, my question is a minor one: Is Moon Animator Worth It?

14 Likes

I am not experienced with Moon Animator, but I believe that it is meant for non-character rigs to have an easier animating experience (like you can animate whole acting scenes/viewmodels very easily). With that being said, I believe this is an issue with your skill that could potentially be solved by asking for help from professionals in the #help-and-feedback:art-design-support category.

7 Likes

I have it cause i got it while it was free and, in my opinion its 200% worth it. I don’t tend to animate and haven’t used the default animator in a while so I can’t go into details about why it is better, but it does come with the ability to mirror animations, additional plugins for welding models and parts in various ways, the ability to easily change each keyframe’s ‘Animation style’ (linear, exponential etc, with a graph to illustrate the effect!) it makes it easier to name keyframes if you need scripts which need to do things when specific animation keyframes are reached, and so much more

I suggest watching some tutorials to get a better idea of what it does and weather it’s worth it, but i say aye

OH you can also easily switch from the local part axis to the world axis when rotating parts, i dont remember if the default animator allows for that

11 Likes

nah moon animator is not worth it just use blender its moon animator but better and free

15 Likes

I think it’s good for rigging. That’s it. roblox’s default one is easy to learn and I use it.

9 Likes

I don’t have an issue though so it wouldn’t be the right category. I’m doing fine with the Roblox studio animator now that I am beginner level, I’m just not sure if moon animator is worth it.

Edit: I was debating between this or that category you mentioned but then I realised I wasn’t only asking if moon animator is worth it in the animating aspect. It does many things so I was wondering if it’s also worth getting because of those additional features such as welding, and now that I know, non-character rigs.

7 Likes

I always tend to forget about blender, I have used it before to build and slowly got some hang of it but I definitely need to try it for animating, thank you!

5 Likes

I mean, to people who originally bought the Plugin for free, it’s definitely worth it, but you might want to try some other Platforms like Blender (as others said).

7 Likes

i using roblox’s animator i have moon animator but roblox’s animator easiest for me

5 Likes

Moon is 100% NOT worth it.

Moon went completely Mr. Krabs (unfunny joke) and everything costs money now.
It was worth it for anyone with Moon before it went all pricey.

I suggest just using Blender or the default Animator.

10 Likes

But blender is a thousand times more complicated. Moon animator is paid to be useful and easy to use.

5 Likes

Hmm alright that makes sense I think I might get moon animator if I need help in the cutscene aspect

3 Likes

From personal experience: no.
Was at least somewhat usable until xsixx reworked it for the 82787th time a couple months ago, now it’s just confusing and irritating to use. doesn’t help that old versions are somewhat broken. (xsixx archived the old icons!)

imo its not worth the 1200 + 100/theme robux (total being 1,000 robux for all) xsixx wants for it. it’s also funded by another sweatshop studio like gamefam.

it really surprises me that people still prefer to use moon over blender/default when imo, both are far superior (even with the lack of most easing styles in default!)

7 Likes

its not that complicated i learned it in 1 day

1 Like

I feel it’s kinda worth it but not at the same time. Despite everything going with it, it’s a very solid toolset overall i often use (specially combined with the old version, that seemingly has been off-saled and ruined, as almost every asset belonging to it has been archived, so thanks a lot xsixx!). At the same time what it provides can be done by other tools, so i wouldn’t really save money for it either.

So if the price isn’t a big expense, yeah go ahead, otherwise i’d suggest exploring the non-paid options.

2 Likes

yes, so I can animate multiple rigs (like how I did with my friend smacking weirdos animation and was posted at my deleted channel)

3 Likes

Since I mostly make animations of a single character and not making movies or anything like it, I personally don’t find it worth 1.7k robux myself.
If you’re just like me animating something to be played on character, I’d suggest Blender or even default animation editor (it has curve editor aswell but personally it’s not that good)

Using 3rd party editor for making animations might be inconvinient in some cases but it will worth it in the long run.

2 Likes

Depends. If you don’t want to spend Robux on Moon Animator, go for Blender. If you don’t want to go through the steps of implementing Blender animations to Roblox and learning Blender animation, Moon Animator might be worth it.

Personally, if I was in your spot, I would be choosing Blender, only because I wouldn’t be willing to pay the price. Then again, it’s your choice.

2 Likes

It would’ve been worth it when you could’ve got it for free. But now? No. You’re better off learning blender.

2 Likes

you can animate multiple rigs in blender too

3 Likes