Is religious content permitted?

Hello I am bobling_101! Recently I have been participating in a competition where me and some other developers only have 15 days to make a game. Since the theme was “Supernatural” I thought about making a story game that is both an action packed space adventure but also has some bits that explain how God created the universe! I just wanted to make sure that publishing a game with religious content is not against ToS. Please let me know if you know anything about this!

4 Likes

I think this should be in Development Discussion. Also I do think that religious content is fine as far as a theme goes and how you are using it.

It’s a gray area. While Roblox allows churches and different stuff like that, but they also censor any mention of religion.

Personally, I’d say you should avoid putting the “God created Earth” thing in your game as you’d probably end up getting hate from people.

2 Likes

Do you think something less vague would work? For example I was thinking about having a scene where one of the characters say something like: “I believe it couldn’t have been an explosion… something must have made it… something… supernatural”

2 Likes

Not really sure, but I do think Roblox will moderate your game if you make too many comments about religious things. I think you should just make one or two parts about God.

That will work! It’s vague enough for me to not think of anything religious.

1 Like

'm pretty sure it is, I’m seen loads of mosques built on roblox

Awesome I’ll give it a try! :grin: One last thing. Do you think I could get banned if roblox did think it was over the top? Or would the game get taken down?

1 Like

Maybe your game would get taken down, or you would get one of those reminders that says. “We realize you may have not have known that you put this in your game. We will make your game public again once you remove so and so.” Or they’ll give you a warning saying something about controversial activity and take down your game.

1 Like

Ok good just don’t wanna get banned this early on in my career haha :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve already gotten two warnings I didn’t mean to commit…

1 Like

The Roblox rules have explicit provisions protecting religion and/or religious affiliation against any derogatory, discriminatory, hate-charged or otherwise negative remarks and rhetoric. The topic of religion itself is not hard banned (real or fictional), but tread cautiously so you don’t offend anyone and fall under the lines of spreading negative content regarding religion.

5. Discriminatory speech or actions. We explicitly honor and welcome diversity of identities and experiences. We will not tolerate any discriminatory speech, content, or actions, including those which are used to condone or encourage inflammatory actions, hate speech, attacks, or any other type of discrimination, based on any of the protected characteristics below:

• Religion or religious affiliation;

Roblox Community Rules. Accessed 27 January 2021. Clipped pieces for relevancy.

tl;dr Yes, religious content is permitted (real and/or fictional) but tread carefully. Roblox protects religious expression in their community rules.

4 Likes

It’s allowed to have religious content but be careful - if someone is overly offended by your religion that’s their issue, not yours. As long as it’s not attacking others specifically it should be allowed

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.