Is The Hunt causing my game to die?

Hi, I recently released my first game and we’ve been doing amazing up until around the time of the Hunt.

I can’t figure out what’s causing our recent lower Home CVR (18-20% → 5%) and recommendations other than The Hunt. For reference, we were sorted 170th on top earning, but don’t even place top 200 anymore with our DAU down over 50% (330K Saturday before Hunt → 111K Friday). I don’t really know what I’m doing wrong; all metrics regarding engagement and monetization are up and we have been updating weekly on Fridays. Retention, however, has been going down in most metrics consistently since the Hunt began.

As of a few days ago, we have also began sponsoring in hopes of stopping the game from falling off too much more than it already has. I’m just extremely worried it won’t recover or die completely.

check out the game here

7 Likes

A lot of people have been focusing on The Hunt def

I mean most people are aiming for completing 95 games for the badges yknow. And a lot of them do take a long time to complete which means players will be playing multiple sessions

Your Daily Active Users will probably return to normal soon

And I don’t think your game will die especially considering that your game averaged 330k (DAU) on Saturday

2 Likes

That’s what I assumed as well, but the amount of recommendations we have received has sharply decreased. 3M+ before The Hunt and the first weekend of it → 1M as of yesterday and continuing to decrease day over day. The sponsors help hide this extreme drop a lot. That would have to mean either the Algo is killing off our game or its choosing to recommend The Hunt games over it. I’m not really experienced in this stuff though which is why I’m asking here.

1 Like

Yikes well i guess you’ve gotta wait it out and see if it’s The Hunt or like you said, the algorithm is killing your game

I’m not sure if someone has already done this, but if you’re truly curious, you should just go on an alt or something and go thru the Discover page and check to see if the algorithm is pushing games participating in The Hunt

Me too, maybe there’s some topic with insight into this

1 Like

I guess I will, but it doesn’t really make sense to me what would cause it to be suddenly be recommended less. We we’re pretty stable after the initial algo boost in January and, again, most our metrics are up regarding engagement and monetization. I’m trying to do LiveOps on it as much as I can with weekly updates and more community integration, but It’s not looking like its helping at all.

1 Like

It’s to the point where I’m working on it full time (40+ hours a week) on top of school

1 Like

First of all. I see you are quite a popular dev but still put the category wrong… it should belong in #help-and-feedback:game-design-support as you are not showing us anything and a sking for feedback but rather asking for a reason therefore game design support.

Second of all. Your game is surely dying currently as you have stated due to the hunt. I am sure many non-hunt choosen games are dying. It’s not that big of a deal. Maybe wait till the hunt is over and then if this persists, then that will be a moment of panic for you because it would mean that your game generally is not that fun and engaging anymore.

I am sure you can wait 6 days right? The stupid hunt is almost over. Also maybe your game is dying due to its genre? Aren’t there already a hundred other Ro-Bio games with the same goal of make a dummy, test, repeat. Sounds quite lame to me honestly. Maybe that could also be a reason why your game is dying.

2 Likes

Alright, thanks. I’ll check back in a week I guess. I’ve been working to diversify the content, with more community events and unique things to the genre, already help boosting the playtime to around 13 minutes. I know it still needs work, which i’m aiming to get all completed before summer break :pray:. I’m just a little worried because of how sharp the decrease was.

I mean yeah I’d still expect games that aren’t participating in The Hunt to still be doing pretty well

Well your hard work seems to have paid off before The Hunt so it probably will after too. Although I think 40+ hours a week is mentally draining

And like I said before, you’re probably gonna have to wait and see if it is the algo messing with you or if it’s The Hunt

1 Like

Alot of players are focusing on getting those acessories, in my opinion, its a waste of time. Once the hunt is over then you will probably be able to gain those players again