Is there a way to remove these shadows?

At graphics level 21 (level 10 in game) there are some ugly shadows that you seemingly can’t get rid of at the edges of parts:
this is what i would expect it to look like with the lighting settings i have (graphics level 20)

lighting properties:

Is there any way to remove this?

11 Likes

I don’t believe so, although there is a feature request for this:

3 Likes

I wonder if you could counteract it with bloom…

1 Like

FYI this is called Ambient Occlusion, it is used to add realism to a game because without it everything looks flat and nothing that is not a light can be that bright without any shadows in real life.

4 Likes

flat is kinda the style i’m going for though…
falling

6 Likes

I do not think ROBLOX has added a feature like this, it’s not a situation where you need to change the lighting, I recommend for now until ROBLOX add a shadow removal feature, I would use FYI , which @vsnry had mentioned in his comment. However, another way would to add spotlight or pointlight to an invisible object.

I hope this helped!

2 Likes

I know this thread is a bit old, but I found a solution. With the new ForceField material, if you apply it to a mesh, there is no fancy lighting to it, and if you turn off the CastShadow property, then the part should be perfect your what you’re looking for.

Left- Default Part with ForceField material
Right- MeshPart with same properties but CastShadow is false

Example:

4 Likes

Why is this marked as a solution? It doesn’t work.

1 Like

Tick cast shadow off in the properties of part.

2 Likes

It only seems to work for me on graphics level 8?

1 Like

It’s called SSAO or Screen Space Ambient Occlusion. In real life light is ray traced and in corners there isnt a lot of light to reach so it gets dark (the shadows u see), but because roblox doesnt use ray tracing it uses SSAO and its there to add realism. If you want to remove it you can add a Bloom object in the Lighting and set the Intensity to 0 and then make the parts from neon. They won’t get any shading (even diffuse lighting) but thats the only way. Roblox is now going for realism so you can’t technically stop it. Also SSAO adds more depth witch makes it easier to distinguish objects one from another. Removing it will just make the objects undistinguishable.

2 Likes