Issues with custom rig + tool + how to animate custom rigs?

Hello! Me and my development team are working on an RPG game and we are having issues with custom rigs & tools.
We have a sword made. However, when spawning with the custom rig, you cannot use the sword as it doesn’t pop into your hand. With a normal character, it works fine.
We have a handle and everything.

We also are wondering how to do movement animations using custom rigs, we’ve tried using the r6 animation script (however our rig isn’t made with r6 joints / welds), any ideas?

Any idea what’s going on?

2 Likes

Added one more thing to the post as we ran into another thing, otherwise I’m working on trying to fix the tool issue, any help would be appreciated.

There are many Youtube tutorials, but to put it in text format, here it is:

Have a tool.
Make a part named Handle (the main part that appears in the players hand.)
Any extra parts should be welded or jointed (using motor6d) to the handle. You can do this by using EasyWeld with Moon Animator or RigEditLite.

To animate, copy and paste the tool parts and group them inside a dummy.
You can then create a motor6d inside the right hand, and joint it to the handle. This will attach the handle to the right hand. Now you can animate and move parts!

1 Like

We already have the handle, I’m pretty sure its an issue with the rig but I don’t know what the issue is.
(extra arts are already welded too.)
(animation too.)

Can you send a screenshot of the explorer with all the parts open? I’d like to see if there’s a problem with any of the parts.

Everything is welded & not anchored.

So if the tool itself isn’t working, do any of the animations work? Cus if its a problem with the rig then you’d have to remake the rig with specifically the tool parts.

It’s not the animations I’m worried about right now, its just that the tool doesn’t show up at all.

If the tool doesn’t show up, this means that the tool is not welded properly. Every part needs to be welded to the handle. Exceptions could be that parts are welded to main parts that are welded to the handle.

Tried that, still thinking its a rig issue however I should probably just do manual welding

Itd depend if the rig parts are named differently, like “Rarm” or “Larm.” I doubt they are, but Tools usually work if there’s a complete humanoid.
I dont really know anything else, because you’ve done everything right. It may be a roblox problem.
Is the custom rig from scratch, or is it a differently colored and meshed default rig?

Technically Scratch, it’s a custom head but the same size as a normal R6 rig, rerigged with joints using a plugin.

That may be the problem since the tool is unaware of this custom and unseen rig. I’ve never tried making rigs like this, so I don’t have a lot of advice.

1 Like

can you show what is in the torso?

Only a joint

and the humanoid root part? what did you use to make the rig?

(every part has a joint in it)

1 Like

shouldnt all of the joints be in the torso (or it may be the humanoidrootpart) also i really recommend watching this: CUSTOM CHARACTERS - How to create, rig and animate - YouTube as it seems everything is wrong, also for rigs you should use this: RigEdit Plus - Roblox or you could use this version of it: RigEdit Lite - Roblox

2 Likes

Just got back (from being somewhere, personal) , but what exactly is wrong with the rig? It can be used in the animation editor I’m just trying to figure out how to fix the tools & add movement animations.

Does it work without the custom character?

1 Like