It is no longer possible to set the thumbnails of sub-places within experiences

Marking this as a bug, not a feature request, as this is a massive regression. Place thumbnails are used for the default teleport UI whilst teleporting, meaning all new places will be forced to use the default place thumbnail when teleporting.

Repro:

1. Go to the Creator Dashboard
  2. Configure a place within a Universe/Experience
  3. Observe there is nowhere to change/upload a place’s thumbnail; attempting to go to the thumbnail URL of a non-root place gives a 404 error

Non-Root Place

Root Place / Experience

Expected behavior
I am able to configure + upload place thumbnails like I was able to do on Roblox.com and like I am currently able to do for an experience.

Page URL: https://create.roblox.com/dashboard/creations/experiences/UNIVERSEID/places/NONROOTPLACEID/configure

15 Likes

Somewhat related: Create page place management shows only start place icons

This has been an issue for a really long time. The correct icons and thumbnails are shown for subplaces, but if you cannot edit them, then whats the point really?

3 Likes

Thanks for opening this as a bug too… it is really concerning that we were previously allowed to set individual place thumbnails under an experience given Roblox forces the display of a places thumbnail blurred behind the experience icon as the place loads.

If it is presenting these to the end-user, and previously allowed to change, then this functionality should be returned. And as we update our places where the themes change, the images no longer aligns and creates a poor experience on load as there is no longer cohesiveness and can create confusion (as well as potential bug reports on the experience itself)

4 Likes

Hey, thanks for flagging this - the team is investigating.

7 Likes

Thanks! As a heads up, @BackspaceRGB 's callout brings up another regression with this new workflow - there’s no way to set individual place icons as well.

2 Likes

When I noticed this I was upset and very much wished they brought back the develop page. Really hopes this gets fixed soon :frowning:

2 Likes

I noticed that the old place configuration page is missing today. (I visited the experience’s page then clicked the “…” button and chose to configure the place, which redirected to…the exact same page as configuring the whole experience.

The other posts in this topic explain the issues well, but I’ll add that I’m one of the developers that doesn’t like this regression. Place-specific thumbnails are important.

There’s no way to change any place’s thumbnail on the new, worse page.

By comparison, here’s a screenshot of the legacy version! Why does this matter? Well, no matter what place you view the page of, it reuses the same thumbnail and icon as the starting place. However, the new loading screens use the place thumbnails, and guess what happens if you can’t replace them…

The developers of this game wouldn’t ever fix this even if they could but it looks like Royale High is now a western game!

Though it doesn’t matter for loading screens, this is another part of the regression. I think I set a sub-place in my experience to use its then-current icon, but now that I can’t change it to keep it consistent, it now shows an outdated icon on the configuration page.
OutdatedIconLeftover.png
(It’s the second icon shown here.)

3 Likes

This is still a big issue. My game consists of multiple universes and when players are teleporting they will see the default Roblox background which is extremely unprofessional.

6 Likes

Any news on this?

It’s absurd that sub-places are treated any differently from start places. Do away with this archaic hamstrung-by-design system and let these games have their own standalone pages, settings, etc. if we so desire. In certain cases, the collection of places under a universe have no hierarchy and are their own standalone games. There is no reason to prevent these games from advertising themselves separately from the start place. A start place is even entirely unnecessary sometimes.

5 Likes

Well, I’ve got an update, which makes this “bug” even worse:

Since I’ve begun to use packages in my experience, I’ve found out that the place-specific thumbnails/screenshots are also used in the package updating dialog box!

With my current places, their unique thumbnails make it very easy to tell them apart. If Roblox doesn’t bring back the ability to customize place-specific thumbnails (and icons), any new places will use the default “ROBLOX” thumbnails, which blend together and aren’t as memorable as my thumbnails.

Even if I use a custom loading screen (so the other place where these pictures are seen isn’t shown), this is still an issue. I can only imagine how awkward it is to update games with a lot of places in them like Royale High, which mostly uses default thumbnails…

(Also, another bug can be seen in this screenshot: The note at the bottom is cut off.)

Just wanted to circle back here - we’re actively working on resolving this issue, and are aware it’s not in a good state right now. Unfortunately, it’s not a super simple fix, but rest assured we’re resolving this as a high priority right now.

I will keep people in the loop as we move forwards.

5 Likes

I hope the new creator page is changed a lot more than just this bug, I think the old develop page had better workflow despite the clutter. (Or just bring it back make it optional, it was still accessible a few days ago but it’s completely nuked off the site now.)

1 Like

i’ve made a post about this too in the past, but i see it still haven’t been taken care of.

Hey! This should now be resolved, thanks for being patient. Please let me know if there is anything we’ve missed.

4 Likes

Icon support is now there, thank you! I don’t see anything for thumbnails just yet though.

1 Like

yeah, i still can’t see the thumbnail support for it. loading onto places attached to a main place just puts the loading image as roblox default images instead of being customizable as it used to be.

1 Like

yep, the thumbnail setting is not there for places!

3 Likes

Awesome! Now I can update place-specific icons, but like @cloakedyoshi and
@TimTsuki mentioned, place-specific thumbnails/screenshots aren’t editable yet… If they will be, this will be perfect.

If I can suggest an addition here, I think it would be nice if another option was added under “media type” where the developer would type in an asset ID to use as the picture.

I’ve heard (and seen) that icons and thumbnails are uploaded as “image” assets under my account, and that you can re-upload a previously-approved image to instantly change to it, but I don’t feel confident that selecting a previous image from my computer would make Roblox detect that it’s a duplicate and re-use a previously-uploaded asset.

2 Likes

It’s been several months now. It would be enough just to replace the Icon option for Thumbnail for the placds which are not the main ones. Because the presence of the Icon option makes no sense.

1 Like

I utilize the icon of subplaces for asset management, teleport UIs, and menu select screens. They absolutely have use.

1 Like