It is now harder than ever to find sound effects

I don’t have a lot of Robux currently and it is extremely difficult to find/produce and upload hundreds of sounds I will need for my game. I used to be able to do this easily with the Library but it is now filled to the brim with royalty free music from Roblox and the search does not correctly return relevant results. It’s buggier and more difficult to use than it has ever been. Not to mention the sound preview has a 50/50 chance of playing on Chrome.

Please give an option to filter out royalty free music and possibly touch up on the search algorithm.

97 Likes

Totally agree. I looked up water sound effects the other day and I got pages of results from roblox’s song uploads. If there was a way to filter out roblox sounds that would be great.

28 Likes

I really hope that similar to how Roblox has uploaded the acquired APM music library, a Sound Effect Library is also tackled. Having similar descriptions on these sounds (like the APM music titles) will help the search algorithm pull up the sounds. A game isn’t a game without sound effects, and right now, finding them is simply too hard.

12 Likes

It is extremely annoying to find relevant sound effects solely due to the amount of music uploaded by Roblox that seemingly matches keywords for everything I search for. Searching for audio is one of the biggest thing that slows down development for users who use SFX in their games.

14 Likes

Also the fact that all the music Roblox uploaded is named identically to any search term you could use for a sound effect is incredibly annoying. Instead of getting a “Water” sound effect, I’ll get 12 different versions of a random song.

22 Likes

An actual functional search is so incredibly overdue on this platform that’s entirely built on user generated content that I’m in absolute awe it’s not even been mentioned as a priority by now. Search functionality for every form of UGC on Roblox is nearly utterly useless for finding anything you’re actually looking for.

Keyword search across the website needs to be improved, and assets would greatly benefit from being categorizable or taggable as a certain type of asset for situations such as the one in this thread.

21 Likes

The entire search box is a joke.

I search up, let’s say Vikings and it’ll come up with just either models with the most sales or just anything that was recently uploaded.

It’s entirely broken

10 Likes

Let’s say I enter a search that’s similar to “Artist - Track”.

The results will either be single word “Artist” or “Track”, while actual results are pushed 10 pages to the back or aren’t shown at all. And almost all of those will be variants of songs uploaded by Roblox. This is ridiculous. Surely you understand my anger here. It’s especially annoying when you know that particular sound exists on the site.

10 Likes

This seems like multiple smaller requests in one. There are already feature requests for searching audio by length, for the ability to categorize audio by either music or effect, and for additional search filters for audio. Are you requesting anything different in this thread?

3 Likes

Support, Today I tried to search up some sort of fire extinguisher/water flowing sound and I managed to find one but the rest of the audio was useless Roblox music that was totally irreverent to what I was searching for.

Defiantly need to be able to filter out ROBLOX owed audio for the Sound Library.

13 Likes

Ran into this problem again today. Needed a few short sound effects and had to go through hundreds of songs to find them. Every. Single. One.

I think the ability to sort by sound length would actually be more helpful in this case and less weird. This way I can filter out all music, not just Roblox’s.

6 Likes

Writing this one up.

46 Likes

Is there any news you can provide back to us about what’s going on with this, if you’re able to relay any non-confidential details? Has the suggestion been processed or considered, or is it in the process of being created for us? Marketplace cleanliness is very important and it doesn’t currently exist.

I run into the problem of seeing more APM or music-length audio overtake other search results on a very frequent basis so it’s difficult to find sounds for my games. Searching for a few seconds worth of good audio can take a while and the time is extended when I need to sift out APM results.

25 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.