Join the Animation Contest for Roblox Build It, Play It!

Ever wanted to show off your animation skills, or need a reason to learn how to get your characters moving? Whether it’s animating a stylish dance or a bouncy walk, our community of creators always impress us with their artistic creativity.

That’s why for the Build it Play It Challenge, an educational initiative, we’re looking for the best animation that you can create with this theme!

You can learn how to enter on the Developer Hub. That page includes guides how to create your animation, whether you’re new to Studio or just haven’t made an animation before.

We’re looking forward to seeing what you’ve got in store for us this time. When the Roblox community comes together and creates, everyone’s a winner.

Good luck!

101 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

30 Likes

This is awesome, and it probably means one more step towards a scripting contest!

Edit: To clarify I meant it as a code golf sort of challenge, the person with the shortest code that can achieve a certain output wins.

6 Likes

This is cool, animators get more recognition now! With this Roblox is giving developers of all sorts more spotlight, and getting people to start animating. I may even try it myself!

2 Likes

Haven’t much animated yet, so I might not participate. Anyways, looking forward to see who wins! I love that the new name for the “Roblox Creator Challenge” is “Roblox Build it, Play it!”

If there is ever a scripting challenge, boom, I’ll be there.

3 Likes

Finally, something for animators!

What will winners get as a reward, though? Their character featured? Robux?

4 Likes

Goodness I’ve been waiting for this to go up, let’s do it baby.

Oh and another thing, what kind of model should we make the animation for? @budgetFox

1 Like

I believe their animation made into the game, and their animation made into a emote if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

Nice this gives animators the recognition they deserve :slight_smile:

Really? Where’d you find that information?

Are we allowed to use other animation plugins like Moon Animator or external software such as Blender?

I don’t think a scripting contest makes any sense. How “good” a script is is usually based on efficiency and reusability, which is a whole lot harder to judge than how good something like a build or animation looks. That’s why some coding competitions focus on a specific thing (like code golfing, efficiency, creativity, etc.) instead of what the “best” solution is.

(For the main post:) The article says there’s only two skill levels, those who haven’t used studio and those who have but aren’t animators. What about people with minimal animating experience or even more experienced animators? Are they not “allowed” to submit an animation?
imag

5 Likes

Cool opportunity for the animators!
I would do it myself but I am on vacation. :sunglasses:

1 Like

What if someone is not able to use twitter?

3 Likes

I’ve never really animated before, but I will probably give this a try to see if animation is for me.

3 Likes

I really really really hope the winner isn’t a stolen animation found on the toolbox

4 Likes

So while the theme is Victory and Celebration, really any Roblox humanoid model works. We don’t have a preference whether it’s Rthro or not. If it makes you leap up in your chair and cheer - it’ll fit that theme!

5 Likes

So anyone can submit animations regardless of their experience level. We just included those resources to help people get started. I’ll change the copy on that post though so it’s more clear though. Thanks for the feedback!

6 Likes

Sounds like a fun contest! Bit indifferent about how twitter likes primarily drive the winner pool. Seems a bit tricky from someone with an inactive twitter account. But showing off dev work is a pretty cool culture, people can make amazing things.

Also on the topic of challenges.
A scripting contest is definitely plausible. But code golf would be disappointing, I think the challenge should have an open-ended topic, with a roblox-world implementation (not a script which outputs a correct answer). Ex. rescript a feature in studio, script a movement system for one of the following vehicles (or your own), script an interesting tool. Judge criteria on creativity, functionality, and topic relevance.

4 Likes

I have always been more of a scripter but I would love to learn how to animate!