JumpPower and Jumping are acting inconsistently

For years the jump pads in my obby games have run by a very simple script, namely:

jumpPad.Touched:Connect(function(h)
 humanoid.JumpPower = 100
 humanoid:ChangeState(Enum.HumanoidStateType.Jumping)
end)

This made the player jump entirely consistently. Until a few days ago.

Now jumping is totally inconsistent. Most jumps do not reach the jump power specified and only do so if you jiggle around on the jump part multiple times. It’s become random whether you get the boost or not.

So clearly something changed in the latest release. Better communication on what these changes are is essential as there are now over 1k CCU playing my games where major mechanics have broken without my knowledge and without any information into the root cause. That is unacceptable.

EDIT: After testing further, the problem seems to be some kind of interference with the players jump and the forced jump of the pad. This was never a problem before, but if the player jumps when the pad is jumping them, they can no longer reliably reach the places they were going before.

4 Likes

Hi, thanks for reporting! Can you please follow the bug report guideline and provide a place id, reproduction steps and reproduction files? Thanks!

4 Likes

Sure here is a place with three jumps in a line:

JumpRepro.rbxl (51.1 KB)

The code for the jumps is in StarterPlayerScripts as it is done locally.

The place needs to use JumpPower rather than JumpHeight.

Standing on the platforms you will be propelled upwards to the next platform and so on. This works fine unless you are already jumping by pressing spacebar. Then it acts weirdly and you do not reach full height, or some times you double jump. This never happened previously.

I’m not sure if I ever actually had ideal code for this as many people use forces for jumping. But either way this code worked perfectly for 2+ years and has suddenly started behaving weirdly. Such behaviour is affecting all of the obbies in my group but most notably this one: Tower Per Difficulty Chart Obby - Roblox

4 Likes

Hi, I tired the place you shared with me but unfortunately I cannot repro the issue. Can you please take a video recording of the issue? Also, how often does it happen? Thank you!

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It’s kind of hard to show even in a video what I mean. Essentially JumpPower is now just smaller than it used to be on my R6 character.

In an upcoming game of mine all of the Jump pads are insufficient to get the player to where they were designed to go. If you have access to a build of the client from a month ago you will instantly be able to notice the difference. The current workaround is to move WASD around and hope that it throws you up correctly.

I’m sorry I cannot be of more help in illustrating the issue but it’s one which is hard to describe and the only visible effect is that none of the jumps that were possible previously are now possible.