Kick messages display as client-side error

This issue has been going on for a while in my game Starscape, as in over a month, but I didn’t have enough info to post about it until recently.

Whenever I kick a player, no kick message appears on the client. Instead, the client completely freezes and they are unable to perform any actions. In place of a visible kick message, the message is registered as an error on the client and appears in the dev console.

As an example: I have a safe logout system which allows players to log out in PVP-enabled areas, and it causes them great concern when their game freezes up instead of notifying them that they were successfully removed from the game.

Dev console output for above scenario

This is also the case when I shut down game servers. Players receive no message about the game shutting down; their clients just freeze up.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I looked through several threads and couldn’t find anyone who has encountered this issue before, but not even sure where I would start to create a reproduction of the issue. However, it is possible that this only happens after you have teleported to another server. My lobby place does not seem to have the issue.

1 Like

When using the Microsoft store version of Roblox, I did have noticed to get kicked sometimes without a note appearing on the client, my only clue to know if I was kicked was to see if I could jump, I never knew it would display on the developer console, so yes, I am having this issue as well SOMETIMES (in other games)

Really hope they fix this issue, we’re having the same problem.

Soft Shutdown practically doesn’t work anymore because when we shutdown a server, the players get deleted instantly with the local scripts no longer running.
All the clients freeze up for one to two seconds before it shows the message saying they got disconnected instead of our teleport gui showing that they’re rejoining the game for updates.

2 Likes

Hi, in order for us to get a better understanding of your issue, would you mind answering the following questions:

• Do you have a custom teleport gui when you are teleporting player to the server that you kick them?
  • And does this only start to happen recently?
    (A fix for error handler was turned on around June 10th that probably results in places with custom teleport gui not showing connect errors.)
2 Likes

Yes, I do use a custom Teleport GUI when teleporting players between servers. I am not entirely sure when it started happening, but June 10th sounds like a plausible start date. It feels like it has been at least a month.

1 Like

We also use a custom teleport gui on game.Close event that is fired as a remote event to all clients ingame to teleport to another game.

This had been working before June 10th.

You do see the custom teleport gui for a split second before your character disappears, the gui disappears, you see everyone else disappear, the player list empty, and then seconds later, a kick message saying you were disconnected.

That is a valuable information. I will forward this to networking team to check our way of dealing with client disconnection. Thanks.

Is there any update to this issue? Our game used to properly show players that they’re going to rejoin the game by setting the players TeleportGui with the Teleport request but now it’s showing this screen for a split second, kicking all the players ingame, and then teleporting the player if they were to wait a few seconds.

Before, the TeleportGui would stay up.

Now, it looks like everyone gets kicked, the player list gets empty, the gui shows for a split second and goes away, and player retention is dropped because the player is ending up thinking they got kicked and aren’t teleporting when it takes time for them to teleport to another place.