Layered clothing causes lag spikes when updating unrelated part properties

I asked under another post relating to layered clothing and got this response.
Hopefully this gets prioritized more as it is a game breaking issue.

3 Likes

Thank youu so much for letting me know! :raised_hands: very glad to see the issue is being actively worked on

Besides the fps dropping issue, I was encountering another very strange issue about memory usage regarding the tools being updated / altered while the character is using layered clothings :man_bowing: not sure if you could share some thought / insight Thank youu in advance!

Currently the game of mine making use of remote event to simulate gun’s motion and effect (motor 6D bolt cycling animation / sounds, etc) and there was one time when a player using layered clothings firing their weapons caused my client’s LuaHeap memory usage to an insane value and thus crashed my client

However, seems that I couldn’t replicate the same situation again regarding the luaheap memory leak again so far

2 Likes

Thanks for this example, someone will take a look. Thanks for you patience on this issue, we know the current behavior is a problem and are actively working on it, but the solution is non trivial so it’s taking time. In the meantime there are several workarounds that can be used in many cases, we will be posting more information about that soon.

4 Likes

Appreciate you guys working hard on the issue as always and the updates along the way.
By any chance could we get functionality to disable layered clothing rebuilds? Something like accessory.AllowRebuilds = false either a property or a function. This could prove useful as in my game there are custom characters and the rig size and package never changes so I really have no need to have rebuilds happening in the first place.

I initially wanted to disable rebuilds as a temporary fix for this issue when I first had it occurring but came to find out there wasn’t actually a way to stop them.

1 Like

Hey it’s almost been 2 months and I was wondering when this new information was going to be posted. I’ve been looking forward to it.

3 Likes

Sorry, many competing priorities, but this is wip. Fwiw it’s not new information, just summarizing what we’ve already posted on the forum.

3 Likes

many competing priorities? Layered clothing seems to be ur main priority right now at roblox and if ur considering rolling out layered clothings for UGC bodies I would expect this to be fixed already

1 Like

roblox legal team? Be fr… roblox legal teams do not make the decisions

1 Like

This is a severe bug. If a player is aware of this bug and how it works they can intentionally abuse it in my game with certain mechanics and theres nothing I can do unless I disable layered clothing entirely. Simply spam equipping a tool with layered clothing can cause lag. The post is 6 months old. I understand staff has priorities but I am hoping this can be fixed before the release of my game.

Or at the very least give us an option to disable layered clothing rebuilds for the time being as thats the source of this issue. I’m not gonna say this with confidence because I am not 100% sure but I imagine it shouldn’t be too difficult to allow us to disable layered clothing rebuilds as a temporary solution. Especially since its such a severe bug and I am just left with a super laggy game until its fixed.

tl;dr I understand it’ll take time plz offer us a temporary solution (letting us disable layer clothing rebuilds in our games).

2 Likes

Lets bring attention to this as layered clothing is in every game now making this bug VERY IMPORTANT.

2 Likes

If you have read this post throughoutly, you could see @yoolurs has made and provided a full detailed exmaple and reproduction test place on the issue and even Roblox staff has acknowledged the reproduction method

I’m a bit confused the reason why you joined this post’s discussion without actually get to know about the bug / issue - this is actually a serious game breaking bug and there were serveral similar bug reports mentioning about the same issue

Everyone is welcome to discuss but unfortunately that the replies of yours made me feel like you just went in this discussion and proceed to challenge / disappove others intentionally

3 Likes

I was replying to someone who, in my head, was saying that Roblox as a whole was focusing on Layered Clothing, and that they should fix this bug because of that. It sounded like they were saying Roblox has literally no other priorities right now, and so I responded to that single person to say that no, that’s not how Roblox as a company works. I apologize for appearing to try and dismiss this totally valid bug report as a whole.

Roblox is focusing on layered clothing. It’s literally the future of roblox. what do you think is gonna happen when theres so many clothings and bodys to pick from and they all include layered clothing? Ill tell you one thing. No one is gonna be playing with a lag spike every 2-4 seconds

1 Like

Hey its been nearly 7 months since the initial post, the impact on my game is severe making it very difficult to have an enjoyable experience and layered clothing is pretty important. My game is nearing the point where its ready to release and I am afraid this wont be fixed by then. I understand 100% that it may take time and its being worked on. All I ask is that you give us the option to disable rebuilds in the meantime.

I am unable to just simply not parent things to the characters. Something as simple as a decals transparency being changed can cause significant lag and tools are forced to be added to the character to function.

If we can disable layered clothing rebuilds so it only triggers the build once its equipped it’ll help everyone suffering with this bug a lot. It’s gamebreaking for me and I don’t doubt its the same for others. Thanks and please consider this!

This may not be as simple as it sounds, but I will share your suggestion. Fwiw this work is still ongoing and making good progress, thanks as always for your patience.

1 Like

I am having the exact same issue as the person creating this topic described.
Whenever transparency is changed or tweened (maybe even other properties aswell) the framerate goes to hell, since the layered clothing is being rebuilt.

Heres an example of how bad this issue actually is:

I drop from a perfect 165ish FPS with no weapon being made invisible, to 60ish FPS with it being made invisible and visible.

The same issue applies by simply going into first person and out. I drop to 40 FPS which is insane!

It should only rebuild if a Parts Size is changed and is a direct child of the character, not a descendant.
Make this a option, if developers need the layered clothing to rebuild on descendant changed.

One more thing I wanted to ask you about directly, since you seem to be in the accessory department or whatever haha :D, is a feature request which I sadly cannot create myself since I have no permission to do so.

Increase the player Accessory limit to 12,15 or even more!
It greatly affects and limits our creativity to express our looks on the platform.
Most people stack alot of head accessories to create eyes, eyebrows, faces and what not which takes away so much space for other essential accessories.

I get that in the past it has been declined because of some clipping and performance issues? But I feel like with so much time having passed, and the platform having developed and improven so much, and everyone getting updated hardware, this would not be a problem anymore.

Would really appriciate a response to my feature request and a update on the layered clothing issue!

Thanks, Erwin

2 Likes

This is affecting my game as well! Whenever players equip or unequip a tool, it creates a noticeable lag spike for every player in the lobby. Layered clothing is very nice aesthetically and we would like to continue using it, however it’s seemingly been months and this issue is not fixed yet. It’s not really feasible to remove all the layered content from our game, but then the only other solution would be going over all the tool code and making it so it never re-parents to their backpack. These are both built in ROBLOX things and the fact they clash with one another is unfortunate. (In the video the transparency probably adds to the client’s lag but it’s been reported numerous times that other players experience a brief stutter when players using outfits with 3D clothing pull out or put away a tool. After testing myself I also found this to be true.)

When the layered clothing is still on the character:

After being removed:

Our code doesn’t do anything special aside from calling EquipTool and UnequipTool, and as mentioned earlier the lag spike occurs for other players as well.

2 Likes

Removing the transparency setting when you equip a tool for layered clothing users can help reduce the lag spikes. They’ll still exist regardless because of the tool being equipped but that can reduce the severity of it. Hopefully this gets fixed soon there really aren’t many good workarounds so we are forced to suffer until then.

1 Like

Hello do we have any updates on the matter? Multiple people in the past few months have added examples and expressed the severity of the issue on top of my own.

At the most do we have an ETA on when we can expect this fix? Or any workarounds / temporary bandaid fixes? I’m really wondering if I should worry about this being an issue when my game releases soon that relies heavily on layered clothing.

1 Like

The only thing that goes around this issue is parenting models/parts outside of the Character.

You would of course have to parent them somewhere they can be removed etc.
This is very tideous but it works! :slight_smile:

Happy new year by the way, dont know when you’re reading this.

2 Likes