Learning advanced code and increasing overall knowledge

Hello, I’d like to start this off by stating that this is my VERY FIRST post on this forum. With that being said, I’d like to ask a very broad question. I am currently a roblox developer with around 30 Million visits. Some would say that makes me an ‘advanced’ developer but I feel far from it. The problem is the game I released has multiple bugs, performance issues, etc. So to my main point, I want to learn how to further better my coding. I want to learn more advanced ways of doing things BUT I don’t know where to start. Before you say the basics, youtube videos, wiki, I’d like to say I already have tried both those. It just doesn’t seem like I know what to look for. Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you.

2 Likes

If you could help us out by providing us with a game link, that’d be spectacular!

In order to understand how advanced you claim you want to be, we need to understand what you are currently.

Game link: Rickey Rat - Roblox

Are you developing solo, or with partners/team?

(Mainly focusing on any other scripters, if any.)

I’m working solo. As of right now, I personally enjoy working solo.

Well in that case, firstly I want to congratulate you on almost 33M visits. What a milestone.

Compared to most people, you are pretty advanced at scripting currently. However, there are always things we can do to improve ourselves and our code.

The first thing I would recommend is learning metatables if you haven’t already. Using them is basically a brain exercise, and a fun one at that.

The second thing I would recommend is that you simplify and improve your code, this will take you on the road to becoming more “advanced”.

The final thing I would think for you to do to improve your skills is just practice. Look at Lua pil files, practice different scenarios, follow tutorials. This will drastically improve the way you think about your code.

Honestly, being advanced at scripting is a relative term. Personally, I’d say you’re pretty advanced. But that is just because I teach people how to script and what a local variable is all the time (tough game). Figure out how you can improve and what makes you think you’re more advanced!

That’s all I got to say.

P.S. I found this, might want to give it a look!

Have a good one!

I appreciate it, Thank you and have a wonderful day!

2 Likes

A lot of advanced programming comes from just general practice. If you wanna fix your bugs thats an easy task, but if youre trying to get better at programming in general itll take some time. Getting better at programming can range from things like formatting your scripts in order, or using specific methods over others like for example instance.new(instance,parent) vs instance.new(instance) - set properties - instance.parent = parent. A lot of this knowledge has to be cultivated over time, that being said you should make sure you’re at least using up to date code. Meaning not really using the old ways. A lot of youtube tutorials use old methods of scripting so fixing that would improve the performance of your game. As for better methods you should look into individual things such as instead of using touched opt in for something like raycasting or magnitude or even region3. Like I said a lot of the stuff you have to learn is just cultivated over time. Just work on making as many things as you can and if you don’t like what you made delete it and try again until you do. There’s a million ways to make 1 thing so theres no real reason to limit yourself to just trying the specific way someone told you to do something.

1 Like

Interesting reply, that’s one thing I need to do; take one thing and view it from multiple different ways! Thank you!

1 Like