Less violent seat dismounting

To exit a seat, the player must jump. This introduces a lot of vertical motion, which can cause motion sickness, cause a sudden camera hitch, or cause the player to collide into nearby world geometry.

As a solution to this, it would be nice if Seat instances had an option for more gentle dismounting, snapping the player to a nearby dismounting location, like this.

This would greatly increase player comfort in spaces with more realistically low ceilings or where motion sensitivity is an important consideration for players.

A consideration here is that not all seats can be dismounted from the front. For example, a bar stool might require the player to dismount behind where they were sitting.

26 Likes

I think seats are seriously underused on the platform because of their lack of integration with the rest of Roblox in its entirety - the default sit animation is effectively programmer art; animation packages do not come with a custom sitting animation; interaction with physics is janky and violent at best; the controls are jarring with no nuance and sitting is mandatory upon contact, making it impossible to design scenes with lots of sittable surfaces without having to build a completely custom system; and there is wildly insufficient API to extend seats so that they’re nicer in these respects.

12 Likes

Haha I made a request about seat animations just yesterday: Seats should have proper animations

Seats are a little underbaked, yeah. I think that there is a whole universe of things that they should be able to do, which they currently can’t - sun loungers anyone? - but hopefully putting short and simple feature requests on the forums can help make all these shortcomings more visible, in bite sized chunks that could reasonably be tackled by little more than an individual.

9 Likes

I agree and they also have a cooldown you cannot access or edit. I hope they let us edit the cooldown and if lucky might as well add animation property for seats so coding for it isn’t necessary anymore.

4 Likes

Seats are a legacy system and I believe custom-made seats aren’t difficult to make and do not have the downside of interrupting legacy features, which some games rely on.

2 Likes

Seats are still used quite widely, and for good reason - they’re just so easy! I think it would be a shame if Roblox were to lose a system that makes this stuff much easier without having to resort to scripting methods. Remember, not everyone knows how to implement such a system, or in my case, I’m not willing to because I would rather work on the rest of the game :slight_smile:

4 Likes