Let's Make A Game

Hey there!

My name is Marcus, and I am a game developer on Roblox. I have contributed to numerous titles such as Horse Valley, Pick A Side, Egg Farm Simulator, Building Architectand 8 more.

Recently, I have dipped into the open-source space and it has been such a fun experience. I was scavenging around to look for open-sourced games for Roblox and there are quite a few :sweat_smile:.

List of open sourced games

The problem here is that most of these games are abandoned, outdated or for other reasons no longer maintained. They are great resources to learn from but that is not quite what I was looking for.

A lot of people seek to create something together, making experiences as a community. Hence why I have started this project which is essentially a blank canvas that anyone can contribute to at anytime no matter your identity.

My main motivation for this project is to see how far we as an open-ended community can accomplish together.

Guidelines for Contributing

Whether you want to code, build or design, it is important to understand and follow the established conventions.

Reporting Issues

If you ever encounter a bug in-game, the best way to let a coder know about it is with our GitHub Issue Tracker.

Requesting Features

Using the aforementioned Github issue tracker, you can attach a label named enhancement onto your issue to indicate that you are requesting a feature.

How to contribute with Code

Roblox-TS

As roblox-ts (henceforth “rbxts”) is typescript in the roblox environment, code must be written in typescript when possible in order to be more flexible when adding content to it. If you don’t know what rbxts is, I highly recommend you do some light research to grasp the basics.

Styling

Code should adhere to the practices that are documented on the official google style guide for TypeScript.

Linters

All code in rbxts requires to be analyzed by linter parsing tools such as ESlint and Prettier.

How to contribute with User Interface

All user interface (henceforth “UI”) in the game is constructed with Roact and the most optimal workflow for uploading and writing paths to each asset is using Tarmac. If you don’t know how to use Tarmac, I recommend reading the supplied guide in the documentation.

Additionally, there has been a long history with images having black outlines when ported to Roblox, there are numerous ways to solve this issue:

1. Pixelfix: Remove the black edges on scaled images

2. Fixing images in Roblox UI. This article is going to look how you… | by James Onnen (Quenty) | Roblox Development | Medium

How to contribute with Assets

All builds and/or models needs to fit within the established artstyle and when uploading assets they should be rbxmx/rbxm and not whole place files (suffixed".rbxlx/rbxl").

All assets are to be located and uploaded under shared/assets.

Important links

https://github.com/Ukendio/Game
https://discord.gg/YCXd98z4NQ

Latest Release

17 Likes

Hey, I’m A_quisition

I surely can help you with this “silly” project of yours

Scripter and UI Designer

got you fam

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’d be happy to help! I’m a scripter.
At your service! o7

2 Likes

// 2021-05-25

Roadmap

I have decided to make a FPS of sorts, no idea yet but I am thinking we need at least some working guns.

Recently implemented Features:

Guns | Status: Live

Description: Smart gun units can predict client state.

Backlog: Used Fabric to construct some gun units, they have a client predictive layer to reject network calls when a shot is not sane. Some edge-cases may or may not need to be attended to in the near future.

Crosshair | Status: Live

Description: Dynamic and Robust interface for cursor.

Backlog: Using Roact (.tsx) and Flipper, I made some really nice crosshairs with interpolating frames on shots.

Heal Packages | Status: Live

Description: Heal packages that are dropped when players die that can be picked up by others.

Backlog: Again with Fabric, made some units that looks pretty nice with the forcefield overlay.

1 Like

@JakeTheHero89
@TheSingularFungi

Would love to have you guys onboard :slight_smile:. Contributing can be done whenever through github.

Maybe I should make a discord for this :thinking:

2 Likes

Definitely should!

I am so good I can make a part transparent with a script. (Obviously I’m kidding. That’s super simple. Anyone can do it.)

1 Like

Sure thing fam. Want me to set it up of your?

:smiley:

My Discord is A_quisition#0902

can I help with this project I’m curious to how this will end up

You can contribute by making a pull request on the github repository: GitHub - Ukendio/Game, if you have any questions feel free to reach out to us on the discord server under important links.

ok great I’ll prob do that soon

Only 24 hours ago has passed since the writing of this post. And already has the discord server grown with a dozen members and we have made some great progress on the game including guns, maps, sounds and more to come. I challenge each and everyone here that reads this post to drop by our server and say hi or some encouraging words. Maybe even contribute to the project :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

2 Likes

this project is going to be really fun :smiley:

Sure, I’ve got time.

I’ve found this post due to you linking my post lol.
I’ll be happy to help!

// 2021-06-10

0.0.3 released

• :gear: Huge rework to the gun unit
  • :factory: Gun factory to produce configured guns
  • :thought_balloon: Client Predictive State
  • :label: Added Tag Unit
  • :dagger: Added Melee Unit
  • :ballot_box: Ballot system to vote for maps and game modes
  • :crossed_swords: New game mode: Kill Confirmed.

Please let me know if you run into any issues!
https://github.com/Ukendio/Game/releases/tag/v0.0.3

1 Like