Level Up Spotlight: MiniToon Inc

Doesn’t matter that it was built on a pre existing thing. There truly is no such thing as an original idea. Everything is a combination of pre existing ideas. True innovation is to take a pre existing idea and to adapt it to a new level depending on the community. Jailbreak was a rip off of prison life, and adopt me is a rip off of the adopt and raise games, yet they are extremely popular and well received since they changed and added their own taste.

5 Likes

It might help to focus the posts more around the insights rather than the developers. I know the content is included in the video, but the post currently makes it come across as “let’s highlight these developers” because of the wording of “spotlight” and more than half the post is just an excerpt of who the developers are. This might explain some of the saltier responses earlier in the thread.

Adding some summary of the insights to the posts might help lure more people into actually watching the content as well. For example I really don’t have the time to watch a 1.5 hour video myself if I don’t know whether it will absolutely be worth my time, even at 2x speed, and a summary of what to expect might help with this.

I’m also scrubbing through the video and it’s hard for me to tell where topics start/end. It’s not easy to find the pieces I’d be interested in.

Just my 2c on how this format could be improved.

20 Likes

+1. I want to see small creators.

We are the little guys here. The fact that people can’t see past large games makes it hard for us to grow, and personally, these spotlights should showcase content from all spectrums.

2 Likes

They already have been recognized. It isn’t envy we know they exist. How Is it wrong to ask for something new? Is it wrong to ask for someone else to be in the spotlight for once? He gets millions of players, got a bloxy, and youtubers play his game. He has been awarded for his hard work already. We aren’t envious we would just like to see someone else up on the podium for once. I am not against minitoon or anything infact I voted for his game to win in the bloxy and I myself play piggy sometimes. I just don’t think it’s fair to other developers who work hard only for the same person to get all the recognition.

1 Like

I think you should read the reply above yours, it’s not necessarily about the developer themselves but rather their insights. A more successful developer obviously has lots to say about their journey as they have more experience. Devrel has also read the feedback here so for the next level up episode you can expect improvements.

3 Likes

I agree. I think some sort of “underrated game dev” series would be cool. No point in showcasing something I’m sure everyone knows about. :confused:

3 Likes

This isn’t a showcase of the developers themselves but the insights of their success. It’s for them to share how and why they succeeded so you may follow their footsteps and be one of the ones on spotlight. None of you are reading any of the posts staff are making saying this. A unsuccessful developer can’t explain how to succeed if they’ve never succeeded before.

6 Likes

Game design? MiniToon just copied the “granny” concept though… there’s not really anything original other than the peppa pig plagiate
And no, this has nothing to do with “envy” or “youre just jealous”;
Roblox is showing potential new developers that just copying an already popular thing is the way to go, instead of discouraging it

1 Like

Maybe at the surface level it looks that way, but there may be more to it. All ideas are in one way or another forked from other ideas (simply because 100% originality is impossible), so I’m not sure how that’s a bad thing.

4 Likes

To sum up this thread:

It’s great roblox is promoting developpers but

It’s developpers we already know who are the biggest on the platform. No hate to them but roblox should give the spotlight to those who actually need it.

So let me guess, it’s just gonna be developpers we already know?

1 Like

They said it will be for successful developers, so you’re bound to know some of them. I really want to see a post about NewFissy, considering their background on creating Adopt Me.

This is not a direct promotion of developers. As others have said, It is for insight into their success and for general design tips.

2 Likes

From the amount of misunderstanding that this is a showcase instead of a show for insight into game design, I propose that you change the name from spotlight to something more neutral. I understand the point of these posts but obviously many developers only read the title instead of the entire post and make an uneducated reply that you are only spotlighting well known developers.

2 Likes

Indeed. The whole purpose of the Level Up series is for successful developers to give out game design tips.

If you complained because you were confused to misunderstood the concept, that’s okay. But knowing the concept of Level Up but complaining about Roblox not shining the light onto smaller devs in this sort of series is basically complaining that people are only interviewing the main cast of a movie instead of the hundreds of extras in it as well.

If this amount of people here got confused or misunderstood, all hell is going to break loose like another “Is Roblox Exploiting Kids?” video again. And I know this will happen again at this rate.

1 Like

That’s technically true I guess, so the originality of something/an idea has to be determined by how much that person has changed that idea or how much of that idea they came up with.

By this criteria the originality of piggy is very very low.

I get where he’s coming from tbh, apart from the story there isn’t any original in the slightest about piggy, not putting hate towards Minitoon inc whatsoever, but I just feel they are the wrong people for this series.

I hope they interview more people like Dreamcraft, Badimo, Coeptus etc…

I’d honestly rather see creators who have successfully managed to make multiple games/keep a continuous community over years. For example, FarmerJaller has managed to make successful games and keep a large community for ten years, and I think that’s more of an impressive accomplishment than most frontpage games - which just hopped on some trend.

Ye I agree thats why I suggested those guys, because they have done exactly that. I’m especially interested in Coeptus, Its crazy how hes able to keep a paid access game on the front page for 6 years, let alone keep it continuously growing.

1 Like

Hey you’ve actually got a good point, why can’t we announce smaller developers/games instead of bigger ones? Smaller developers are already struggling to get enough traction to their games/themselves, so why do the opposite?

1 Like

As clearly mentioned by a staff, it’s NOT about popularity of the developer, it’s about how the developer became popular and have a popular game. You can’t expect a developer who still isn’t successful to go and explain how to become popular, can they?

Though, they could’ve chosen other game creators, like adopt me, brookhaven, coeptus etc etc.

1 Like

Roblox Presents: The Kings of Copyright Infringement

This is about insight? Seriously? There is no insight I can learn from any of these people that I can’t read in some book. They ripped off a popular game genre and filled it to the brim with stolen copyrighted characters. There’s nothing complicated about this, they don’t have some magical knowledge about game development that nobody else here possesses. They don’t have insight on worldbuilding or storytelling, god knows there’s none of that in Piggy. They don’t have insight on game design, the gameplay was handed to them on a silver platter by Granny. They don’t have insight on environment design, Piggy’s environments are some of the worst I’ve seen in years. They don’t have insight on designing characters, the original designs for almost every Piggy character were ripped directly from Peppa Pig. This may sound harsh, but I’ll be damned if it’s not the truth.

Now it’d be a different story if you were to feature developers or studios that did have such insight, perhaps Uplift Games on how to run a VERY large team without hemorrhaging money, or perhaps Defaultio or Dued1 on how they kept their franchises (Lumber Tycoon and Work at a Pizza Place, respectively) alive for so long, or perhaps the hundreds of game developers who have next-level knowledge about aspects of game development or the engine but aren’t so popular or flashy. But these guys? Seriously? These guys got lucky once and everyone thinks they’re the greatest thing since sliced bread.

6 Likes