RenderFidelity update for Meshparts broke .obj export

Meshparts that have recently been uploaded to Roblox will now break if they are exported back as .obj files. It appears to be the normal model with a decimated version merged together. I have reason to believe that this might have something to do with RenderFidelity.

Meshparts that were uploaded prior to this update are not affected by this.

How to replicate:

• Import a .fbx or .obj file as Meshpart
  • Export the Meshpart as a .obj

Example:

Studio

Blender

image%20(1)

Left: Model exported from Studio
Right: Model that was imported into Studio

I hope this issue can be resolved soon, as it causes complications for Vesteria asset development, given that all models i require for renders are stored in Studio.

8 Likes
Why is my mesh changing shape when I make its parent a character model?
Weird mesh quality after hitting play?
Levels of Detail for Mesh Parts
Levels of Detail for Mesh Parts

Was testing if this only happens in blender but it happens in C4D as well.

@Khanovich this bug is possibly related to the geometry changes?

1 Like

It looks like it exports the original mesh fine, but it also exports lower-fidelity mesh along with it, as if multiple meshes were inside each other.

edit: totally did not get this the first time I read the OP

Thanks! Our engineering team has been actively investigating this issue since reported. @wgeom

We are currently attempting to reproduce this issue and have the following question.

• How do you export an obj file, by right-click on meshPart and choosing “Export Selection…”?
2 Likes

Yep. This is how my team exports objs and were the issue is.

1 Like

Thank you!

We were able to reproduce the issue from our end and are actively working on a fix for it.

It might take us a while longer until a fix is ready. Here’s a work around you could use to remove the current blocker on your development workflow until the fix is live.

• Apply a temporary texture before exporting, which can be removed after reimporting.