"License Script"

I’m the CEO of Rosla. An electric company on Roblox which produces and sells services on Roblox.

An example of what we do is like Check Me In, we sell systems for groups to improve the experience.

Anyways, I’m trying to learn how to make a “license”. I don’t really know much what it is or how to do so, that’s why I’m looking for help. I want to make it so if you don’t buy the edition, the model (which has the doors and stuff) won’t work.

Edit: Apologies for not explaining better. Basically how this works, the model will available for free to any user on the platform and will remain as. Therefore, it only activates and enables if the user have bought a product which at this case verifies that he has a license to use (So it won’t be given access to users who haven’t bought it, or be copied).
Also this can work for someone who bought the product by enabling HTTP services on.

I only don’t how to make it. Look at this post which really helped understand myself what I mean and explain it better! ^^

10 Likes

Even with licenses, you will need to keep the main code away from the consumer So they don’t leak!. This can be done with modules or a server. The problem with modules is they can not be private anymore, but you can obfuscate it But it can easily be undone..

4 Likes

So how do I make the licenses. That’s why I’m curious so they won’t get leaked. What do I do.

I am not sure, I was just trying to give you some extra information.

1 Like

Please send the current model. What I recommend doing is having a tool, with a surface GUI. Getting the localplayer’s thumbnail for their profile, and the localplayer name, and then for the ID number, you’d get their userid.

2 Likes

When you refer to licensing do you mean like literally licensing your code, such as a license on GitHub? If that is the case this is a good place to start.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what he means, he’s made it super unclear. I think he’s referring to a license like an ID in real life, but roblox style. If he means licensing code, this is not possible, but roblox does have a DMCA law on any asset created.

2 Likes

@Kensizo Nah he’s referring to a license meaning a key to activate a product.

Also its not possible on Roblox because the end user will always have access to the code that checks said license. If anything you could try not to provide the assets in question until it’s been verified. But at the end of the day… they would still have access to the code that does the checks. While they might not end up with the end product, they will still be able to modify the code. It’d still be up to the implementation (external server using HTTP) to do the best checks to see if the user has a license.

2 Likes

I agree with this, is he trying to make like a licence to purchase with in-game currency, and then they own the “code” and they can redeem that to get like a tool or access to a door or something?

Happy birthday by the way.

1 Like

More like they purchase with Robux, get an installer, and then if it verifies they have it. (In studio) they can use the assets.

Also thanks :smiley:

2 Likes

Can’t this easily be exploited and bypassed though? I feel as if this is inefficient, and he should just make a gamepass for an asset, instead of going above and beyond.

1 Like

Why would the end user always have access to the key? You can handle them via the server, it wouldn’t be impossible to have a text box which you type a “license” key and then verifying with the server on if that’s a real key. Now when it comes to supplying a product based on that I do agree that it would still be accessible on Roblox so it’s not the best solution for supplying products.

3 Likes

Yeah, if you were to verify from a plugin it would always be able to be modified. So you would basically have to verify on the external server itself. But at the end of the day they could always modify the code to send someone elses identity if they know the person has purchased a license.

I saw @Crazyman32 was typing a response. So I thought maybe he knew of a way since he’s more familiar with the implementation. He uses a similar (possible?) method on the downloader for his Aero Framework.

1 Like

I think I wont be the only one to agree with what I am saying, but I think that going above and beyond isn’t a good idea. This can be rewired, and sold to anyone else, and completely remade and reproduced unauthorized. I recommend you sell to trusted sources only, so you wont have to worry about your assets being leaked, and remade.

1 Like

You would have to accept a purchase off platform, and then provide a key to use for that. I’m not sure on the implementations of that surrounding the terms of service. So my response was based on the implementation I’ve been thinking about. Which is getting a user to spend robux on an item I made, and then checking VIA HTTP if they own it.

1 Like

The way Checkmein does it is via an Custom API (I made one simular Which i can dig out after this post and Contact you . But they way it works is :

Buys Gamepass / Dev Product
Sends a Request to API saying add it to the DB
Sends a Request back to the game.
Then proceeds with the Model.

Then in the actual model (Via Require) They just do it via HTTP checking for the DB.

1 Like

User could always republish the model for free and bypass the API key or whatever. If you are trying to serve a model that is paid, you’re out of luck currently. There’s no way to enforce it.

This is only viable if you are providing a service that exists on a 3rd-party server. But I also suspect that paying R$ for a 3rd-party service might be a breach of the ToS (but I’m not certain).

7 Likes

Off the top of my head, I’d say load a deobfuscated module; that’s probably one of the best ways.

And for everyone who says that it can be deobfuscated, yes it can, but it is going to hard as hell and take a lot of time to deobfuscate it, and I doubt the average consumer would do that just to resell it.
Look at the Xen obfuscator, that’s going to be a hell of a pain to deobfuscate.

1 Like

RBXMod allows you to keep your code away from the consumer and still let them use it. You upload your code to the RBXMod where it runs in LuaJIT. Then, games connect to it through the HTTPService and call it. I’m in the process of redesigning the website, but rbxmod.com’s homepage has some more info on it and I’ve posted a bit here. Basically, each user on RBXMod has a security token which they send with requests. A token allows access to all of their scripts and allows them to call any scripts they’ve been given access to.

6 Likes

What I mean is exactly what T0ny said. “More like they purchase with Robux, get an installer, and then if it verifies they have it. (In studio) they can use the assets.”

Check Me In is a strong system which I’m quite sure it can be leaked but still yet none have tried which is good. I want to know how could I make this.

1 Like