Light Transport Modelling - Get a "Ray Tracing" Feeling!

It lets parts reflect better off to light, especially character parts as for some reason they don’t reflect at all to lights compared to other games

2 Likes

Can you please explain what you mean by this? I.e. screenshot? Also, what does this look like on ShadowMap?

1 Like

Basically what they do is enable deprecated reflections on all parts

2 Likes

You mean setting Reflectance to some arbitrary value? That only reflects the skybox, though, not other parts of characters.

2 Likes

That’s what they mean by “reflect to sunlight”, lol look at the demonstration

It seems to disable global shadows and i don’t know why would you do it on al parts, also this doesn’t seem like it’s improving to me as all it does is converting all parts to make it reflect thus giving it more of a glassy than ray tracing-like.

2 Likes

In the part that I quoted, it specifically says “Character reflecting” and “Part reflecting”, but this resource does neither, and it is very misleading.

1 Like

Yep, sadly this does the opposite of that. You can’t reflect the map using this method, lol.

It makes the sunlight reflect things to the character, and this doesn’t look that great on ShadowMap if you have those two enabled.

It’s only doing this do plastic and smoothplastic parts because they feel too unrealistic to be used today since they don’t actually reflect anything. You can remove Reflectance = 1 and still reflect parts from sunlight.

@VauItZone it’s not that one I’m talking about, it’s a one that I made 2 year ago I think, but isn’t on devforum (I put on Amino, where at the time was a lot more active that here)

I was not talking about that one, but

That’s false, I made all of it (I mean, I script for almost 7 years and I couldn’t do that simple thing?), the comments weren’t saying about the things I made there, they’re saying about other scripts that I were not related to them. (if you read the post, you see that I’m not the creator of that module, it just uses a script I made) I don’t remember actually the scripts, but I think it was some about first person movement that added with the module, but I’m not sure

I suppose you ignored all of your replies on that post.

which does nothing? other than change lighting stuff and use stolen skyboxes?

dm me if you really want to talk, not the place.

1 Like

anything performance-wise?

Update 3/2/2023:

• Less time to load parts
  • More Settings
  • Warning for unwanted settings that may lag game

I’m all ears to anyone who has suggestions on what I should possibly add next

The server only messes with characters, so it shouldn’t increase ping unless you have a game where 700 people players die at the same time.

I think some of the code can be improved or fixed. Here’s what I found:

• Line 26 should not have a wait() or any delay, especially on the server. That just causes lag and is unnecessary.
  • On line 42, the server script will clone the DepthOfField script to StarterPlayerScripts, but that script has a local character = player.Character or player.CharacterAdded:Wait(), which is a terrible design. The reason why it’s a terrible design is because it won’t assign a new character when it dies.
  • Inside “ReflectParts”, it does not connect Workspace.DescendantAdded. This is problematic when streaming is enabled.

In addition, the whole thing doesn’t seem like there’s much to it. The results are surprising for something like this, though. I don’t think it’s that good for performance if the PBR textures lag you.

2 Likes

Update:

Removed the wait() on line 26

The DepthOfField script is automatically added to StarterPlayerScripts by the server.

Made it so it connects to workspace:DescendantAdded so that people who add new parts to the workspace or have StreamingEnabled will be autoconverted.

So do you think I should possibly add a setting where if the MeshPart has a SurfaceAppearance it shouldn’t convert it?

Is it better than @WardenFrew’s Rail?