Lights that are parented inside of a bone that is a descendant of another bone will not properly update with animations

There used to be a bug where lights would break all together if they were parented into a bone, were that bone was also a child of another bone, same story for attachments, luckily this got fixed!

However, I found a new problem, if you do parent a light like i described above, they will NOT update if you have them parented into a bone like this, which is animted, they will simply render from the WorldCFrame/CFrame and not consider the TransformedCFrame / TransformedWorldCFrame.

However, if you are previewing a animation inside of the animation editor with this setup, the lights will correctly render? Just during runtime this will not work. What is interesting is if you change .Enabled of the light it does properly re-render,I believe the issue stems from that lights dont consider TransformedCFrame/TransformedWorldCFrame changes as indicators to update the lights casting origin?

Here is the issue during runtime.

My System Info is:
NVIDIA RTX 4070
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
32GB Memory
Roblox Studio running on DirectX 11.1

Expected behavior

The expected behavior like mentioned previously, is that lights should consider updates of Bones/Attachments inside animated skinned mesh rigs to properly update their casting origin.

Here is what i expect the behavior to be like in a video, inside the animation editor the behavior works as I expect it to.
(Dont get confused, the reason you can hear audio is because of a plugin that lets me preview post processing and other things in non-runtime!)

6 Likes

Ill be handling this bug. Ill spend some time reproing this. If you are willing to send over or send a private message with a repro rbxl or rbxm file though, we could fix this faster. :slight_smile:

I haven’t been able to repro. I put a bone inside an animated R6 rig, nested another bone, and then put a spotlight. I just spun the head, and the light seems to update just fine. Perhaps I’m missing something.

No for this to happen, animate the bone itself, so you would here animate the nested bone. This is mostly affecting skinned mesh rigs.

Gotcha, I think I was able to repro animating the bone.

I think I have a fix. It should come out with the 648 patch version of Studio. Please let me know when you get the opportunity to confirm before you mark this bug solved.

Ill have to wait for 648 to come out on all platforms before setting on Roblox apps, but should be able to set on just Studio when it comes out for Studio.

2 Likes

Awesome, this is a really needed feature for me, previously i had to use a hacky workaround for it. :slight_smile:

I just checked and studio is on version 648, the bug however still occurs. Has this been fixed yet?