Lilly's Group Overhaul

I Photoshopped an updated UI for the group page.

2 Likes

The blue “Shout” and red “Leave Group” buttons both look nice with their color and 2D design, without the ugly shadows that the current buttons have. However, I’m not a huge fan of the curved edges, solely based off of the fact that much of the UI is made up of rectangles, and the two just don’t blend together well in this case. The group shout also seems a bit lower than it should be, leaving unpleasantly large gaps between the text.

Overall, if you simply changed a few things around, It would be a big step up from the current UI. I would love to see Roblox upgrade to this more modern flat design style as seen on the navigation bars.

Edit: I take back what I said about the rounded corners of the buttons looking bad. If the buttons were only slightly rounded, like the “Upgrade Now” button on the left navigation bar, then it would look really nice. A really small difference, but still a difference.

Everything listed in this post is needed to be implemented into the group. I support!

3 Likes

Groups are much more than they used to be, but seem to be fading due to lack of attention. They play a prime role yet can’t be seen and really shouldn’t be seen since the state of the group webpage is quite dysfunctional. I agree strongly with Lilly’s posting, but it isn’t enough Roblox groups should be presented like the Games page, ranging from popular, to creeping you out with what groups they think you’d be into! Also a featured section would help where Roblox staff pick groups that are great (e.g. game groups, interesting RP groups like Vortex Security, F.E.A.R., etc., and legitimate clothing groups.).

When you first join and they give you that awful botted list of groups that are so sketchy and can’t be trusted it at least turns me away from Roblox for a second while I try to click another page. The group community is so infected that I wouldn’t blame anyone for turning a blindeye but the web team really needs to put their eyes on it as groups are a huge feature to this site much larger than the forums and is more noticed than the catalog.

Just my thoughts and I appreciate the work and collaboration the team at ROBLOX has been doing for the site, client, and studio!

4 Likes

All the ideas here should seriously be taken into consideration. The group system is very valuable to the Roblox user experience for those who aren’t interested in developing individually on their own profile, and it is not getting the attention it deserves.

6 Likes

Still waiting for divisions, ability to ban users, group forums, and the pinned notices/colorcoded shouts.

:eyes: Hopefully at least those can be implemented by 2019/2020? I definitely don’t expect them this year, or sometime next year. Then again, who knows what their plans are :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Only time will tell

2 Likes

Sorry for the bump, but I want to make sure this is still coming eventually. With the recent removal of forums, this is something we desperately need.

18 Likes

If they removed forums because the forums were too challenging or expensive to moderate, wouldn’t group-specific forums be much harder to moderate? Not being able to see all of the posts at the same time, I can imagine extremely inappropriate threads and posts all over these private forums.

4 Likes

Honestly I’m hugely in support of this in general, but 90% because of the group forums. RBX_Lua has a point, though: wouldn’t it be much harder to moderate?

But really the 1% of C&G that I really liked were when war group leaders would come together to form sort of alliances and have things that you could only dream of in science fiction movies. This sounds super nerdy but the roleplay aspect of war groups in terms of having big war agreements, peace treaties, and stuff like that made C&G fun at times. Sure, 99% of the time that came with a bunch of ugly hate and HUGE amounts of spam, but it was still extremely fun just to be a part of a community that did take that roleplaying aspect of war groups seriously, ya know?

Without the forums, these roleplay aspects are extremely difficult to do, if possible at all. In order to even have the same level of publicity that the peace treaties of C&G did, someone really well-known in the war groups genre would have to create a new group, invite a TON of people, and then post said treaties on that groups forum. It’d basically be a group dedicated to BEING the next C&G.

Which, when you think about it, is a really strange thing because that would just basically revive C&G and bring back the ugly hate and spam that C&G was deleted for to begin with.

At the moment I can’t think of a solution that would be able to organize group members in one big meeting place (like C&G originally used to do) without there being all the spam, but I’m sure there is one.

2 Likes

Perhaps now that the forums are gone, these could be some of the new features they promised.

11 Likes

Would be quite nice if groups could get some love considering how outdated they’re becoming.

14 Likes

I honestly just miss the general community that the C&G forums provided. Yes, there was a lot of chaos and toxicity, but there were still a few people that I became close with. The thing that sucks about the removal of the forums is losing contact with people who I became friends with, but wasn’t close enough to at the time so I have no way of contacting them now. :\

2 Likes

Friendly reminder that something like the succession system that Lilly proposed here would prevent catastrophes caused by this website’s poor moderation system.

EDIT:
This has been fixed!

20 Likes

Idea:

Group pins.
Only the owner of the group can set it.
If you get hacked, the hacker must know the pin to edit permissions/pay/etc

19 Likes

I strongly support this.

2 Likes

Has not been fixed. We need successors. If someone is terminated, I want my group to go to someone else.

3 Likes

The issue in which groups can get commandeered by any random person that comes across it has, in fact, been fixed.

I guess that aspect of it is, but there are still many issues with that.

1 Like

I’m sorry for the revival here, but I’d like to add a suggestion to this group overhaul idea!
Now this suggestion may contain some loopholes that need fixing, but it’d really be beneficial if these are resolved.
(It may sound a bit similar to the “Division” idea already mentioned now that I read the existing ideas a bit better.)

Branches

So my suggestion would be a system that allows you to create a group as Headquarters and create sub-groups as Branches connected to it.

About the Headquarters

The Headquarters (HQ) would be the ‘main’ group, per say. The HQ’s leader and those permitted would run every branch they own. A HQ should have a (coloured) tag as pre- or suffix indicating that they’re the HQ.
The HQ manages the finance of every individual branch unless they grant permissions to a branch to do it themselves.

Possible Available Permissions

The HQ would be able to grant or revoke various permissions such as:

• Financial Permissions;
    • General;
      • Level 1;
        • Earn funds; (e.g by games)
        • Send funds to the HQ;
      • Level 2;
        • Spend funds; (Only for group stuff such as new roles)
        • Send funds to the HQ;
      • Level 3;
        • Spend funds; (For group payout, new roles, etc.)
        • Send funds to the HQ and the other branches;
    • Taxation;
      • Enable tax as percentage or amount in R$;
        (This would be a numeric inputfield where you can input an amount of Robux that’s periodically sent to the HQ for each Branch individually)
  • Branch Management;
    • Set Branch Manager;
      (Would be an alphanumeric inputfield where you can select someone that’s in that specific branch by filling in a username; the HQ owner is also able to set certain permissions for the Branch Manager.)

As long as the Robux stays within the branches and HQ, it should not have the 30% market fee because it practically can’t be abused (right?). Obviously, the earned stuff by the games or the store they own do have the 30% - 90% market fee just like everything else.

About the Branches

Branches are shown in a tab called something like ‘Branches’ in the HQ. All branches have their own funds jar, but these are mostly managed by the HQ by default.
Branches can create games and have an amount of available roles for their own.
Every Branch has their own set of permissions that’re similar to the ones the current groups have. The HQ owner, Branch Manager or those permitted are able to change these permissions for their own branch.
A link to and / or an icon of the HQ is somewhere visible on every branch as well to keep the flow.

How’s it going?!

I was also wondering how the Group Overhaul is doing right now and if it’s actively being worked on?

Thanks for the time :slight_smile:

21 Likes