Lilly's Group Overhaul

Because the games page, catalog, and other pages are used more than group page and had to be overhauled first. Groups are already on the roadmap – it’s just that they’re not the center of the world.

Apparently they’ve been on the roadmap for too long to remember. There isn’t a reason why some of the basic things couldn’t be added soon enough.

From what I remember it was originally going to be worked on by an intern but they realized after the fact that it was too large to take on in a short period of time, and so it was put off. The reason it hasn’t been worked on yet is because there’s not enough manpower. Even small changes would require tasking employees already working on more important projects.

I’m not saying that the developers at Roblox aren’t busy and/or don’t have more important things to be working on however one must think about what they could possibly be working on considering how much time has passed since the original post. You would think that spreading out the development over multiple areas such that nothing this major gets left for too long would be a must for them. Why can’t they work on little sections at a time? You can’t tell me that you need more than 5 competent developers to make some small features that would take solo developers a day or two to make.

I would want this ;(

You know how they sort of have to focused time and effort on the biggest “bang for buck” updates?

These would all be those sorts of updates.

I’d want these ideas implemented. It would make managing a group so much easier.

I think it would be nice for groups to also have a Developer stats like thing so keep track on the member growth, profits, ect.

10 Likes

I LOVE THIS!

Groups have become tools over the years, and what I mean by that is that they’re simply a hub to publish games to get easier payment to staff, and to direct members to discord servers, or twitter accounts.

limitations on groups have slowly destroyed the communities that had the potential to excel.

the rest of this post is simply some of mine ideas for potential group features?

Mobile Friendly:

If I, as a group owner on the Roblox app I have two options: Remove primary, and Leave Group. I don’t expect a fully functional group admin on the app, but I can’t even post group shouts?

The only things I can view is the shout, and the wall. I can’t visit the store, the clan, or the games, and that’s a bummer.

Custom tabs:
by default, the Games tab, or the Clan tab is the first tab shown depending on your group setting, I’d like to see groups to pick the default tab on the group’s page
(Example: a clothing group, would likely prefer to have the Store tab shown first)

Pinned wall posts:
None-urgent group messages that are not appropriate for an whole group shout.
(Such as: minor details like New group executive announcement, Question of the day, etc)

Group stats:
The group stats show Owner, Members, and Clan members, why not expand that to show Place Visits? It’ll be neat to see game studios like Berezza games total visits easily!
0c85a682f4f7fade7e407433c3c26728ed35aed1.PNG

Social Media:
This goes against what I said earlier, but avatar profiles have social media links to Twitter, Facebook, Youtube,
why not make some of those quick links for groups? There are groups that are fanclubs for youtube channels,
or many groups have group twitter accounts to quickly share information to group members in non-urgent manners.

More information on wall posts:
Some google chrome extensions already do this, but have user’s ranks next to their name on wall posts, this is just for quick access to a member’s group for numerous reasons,
and for Trade. on the ROBLOX+ extension, we have neat little trade button to easily open a user’s trade window
fdccb526f570e65693fe462fa61a771cb0d72757.PNG

Not saying every group needs a trade button, but it opens up possibilities for groups specific to a community such as Trade. and trading.

I feel like I’m going on too much, so I’m going cut myself short before I write an novel, but I’m truly passionate about groups, and it truly hurts me to see them get degraded, but I also understand there’s higher priorities, and limitations to adding features to groups.

7 Likes

I totally agree that groups should be redesigned to expand their versatility. Today they’re basically used as banks, social walls within Roblox and even as game studios. There should be more features added to accommodate these different types of uses. As Mater was saying, groups should have a better page customization, social media integration, and group statistics.

2 Likes

Well formatted and your demand is strong, well done Lilly, support!

Love the ideas, only thing I see that could be added is for owners or certain ranks being able to blacklist certain words or phrases from their group wall.

yes pls these are all great

I Photoshopped an updated UI for the group page.

2 Likes

The blue “Shout” and red “Leave Group” buttons both look nice with their color and 2D design, without the ugly shadows that the current buttons have. However, I’m not a huge fan of the curved edges, solely based off of the fact that much of the UI is made up of rectangles, and the two just don’t blend together well in this case. The group shout also seems a bit lower than it should be, leaving unpleasantly large gaps between the text.

Overall, if you simply changed a few things around, It would be a big step up from the current UI. I would love to see Roblox upgrade to this more modern flat design style as seen on the navigation bars.

Edit: I take back what I said about the rounded corners of the buttons looking bad. If the buttons were only slightly rounded, like the “Upgrade Now” button on the left navigation bar, then it would look really nice. A really small difference, but still a difference.

Everything listed in this post is needed to be implemented into the group. I support!

3 Likes

Groups are much more than they used to be, but seem to be fading due to lack of attention. They play a prime role yet can’t be seen and really shouldn’t be seen since the state of the group webpage is quite dysfunctional. I agree strongly with Lilly’s posting, but it isn’t enough Roblox groups should be presented like the Games page, ranging from popular, to creeping you out with what groups they think you’d be into! Also a featured section would help where Roblox staff pick groups that are great (e.g. game groups, interesting RP groups like Vortex Security, F.E.A.R., etc., and legitimate clothing groups.).

When you first join and they give you that awful botted list of groups that are so sketchy and can’t be trusted it at least turns me away from Roblox for a second while I try to click another page. The group community is so infected that I wouldn’t blame anyone for turning a blindeye but the web team really needs to put their eyes on it as groups are a huge feature to this site much larger than the forums and is more noticed than the catalog.

Just my thoughts and I appreciate the work and collaboration the team at ROBLOX has been doing for the site, client, and studio!

4 Likes

All the ideas here should seriously be taken into consideration. The group system is very valuable to the Roblox user experience for those who aren’t interested in developing individually on their own profile, and it is not getting the attention it deserves.

6 Likes

Still waiting for divisions, ability to ban users, group forums, and the pinned notices/colorcoded shouts.

:eyes: Hopefully at least those can be implemented by 2019/2020? I definitely don’t expect them this year, or sometime next year. Then again, who knows what their plans are :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Only time will tell

2 Likes