Lilly's Group Overhaul

I disagree, if this is implemented then there should also be an official way to delete groups entirely, otherwise there is no way to get rid of a group and also ensure that no one will be able to mine any data from it (from i.e. old wall posts, audit log, purchase/pay-out log, etc).

This is exactly why they’re not doing it for you :P If they do it for one person, other people will want to be given the same privilege.

I’m not sure if this is the best solution. An abandoned group might have places the owner thought were secured because the group was locked, but now they’ll become free for the taking. A group might have places like these because the owner moved groups, wanted to move the games to their profile, or cancelled the project but doesn’t want anyone else to use their existing work. Places aside, when you’re taking an abandoned group, you’re starting off with what someone else built up which I don’t think is a good thing.

IMO, when there are no members, the group should be locked and only able to be reclaimed by the owner. However, its name goes back into public domain and the group is assigned a temporary name until the owner comes back and claims it, if ever. If someone creates a group called “ROBLOX” and abandons it with 0 members, I’m now able to create my own group called “ROBLOX”, but it’s a completely different group (new group ID) that’s not related to the dead group.

But they have done it before? I’m confused on what you’re trying to say.

They might have done it in the past (I don’t know, do you?), but probably before they actually thought about the implications and made any guidelines about it.

No clue. But if they have and are refusing you now, they’re doing it to prevent you from happening again. Let’s assume they did it for one group, and now 100 others including you want to take a dead group as well. Imagine they give a dead group to you too – more people hear about it and now 1000 more want ROBLOX to give them a dead group. Whenever you give special privileges to one person, others want those privileges as well. The smart thing to do would be to shoo you off so only 100 people want dead groups instead of 1099.

The first group I can think of that got their name changed was NBC Shirt Creators. They got it changed to a copied war group name.

I wonder if they were the ones who ruined it because of the whole event they caused. :stuck_out_tongue:

Changing names and claiming a dead group are two completely different things. Also, yes – NBC Shirt Creators probably ruined the chances of future group name changes because it showed exactly what people would use it for.

I asked for both of them.

1 Like

They only change group names if the name, or group itself, is breaking rules. If the offense is minor enough they’ll email the owner asking what they want the new name to be. If the offense is deliberate they’ll change it to [ Content Deleted gID ] (they used to this with users too).

An example would be:
When the Primary Group feature was introduced, members of First Encounter Assault Recon (FEAR) who had the group as their primary would have “First Encounter Ass…” displayed as their primary group. The name was changed to “The First Encounter Assault Recon” instead. At least, that’s according to my memory.

In the case of NBC Shirt Creators, we saw exactly why groups can’t change names. The scoundrel behind the group had it changed to a town-and-country style name (examples of this genre include Nightgaladeld’s USA and the City of Rockport) to spite an existing group with the same name.

4 Likes

Yep. On top of that, all of the members of the group that had signed up for one group were all of a sudden in something they didn’t sign up for. That was also a pretty big issue.

1 Like

For the upcoming overhaul it’d be great if we could log why moderation action was taken on posts/users/etc.

Why did I delete a post? Because it was a double-post. Can’t tell that from the audit log and it may look like I deleted a reasonable post.

Why did I exile a user? Because they were spamming the wall. Nobody can tell why I exiled them in the audit log though, so they might think I unfairly exiled them.

Also, when exiling a user it gives you the option to delete their posts. If you choose to do this, their posts are deleted, but these are not added to the audit log. This is problematic for the same reason above. I can say I exiled them for spam, but where’s the proof since the audit log has no trace of their messages? It should show those posts being deleted.

5 Likes

I like these ideas and I have something to add to them:

When removing posts it’d be nice if we can select a group of posts to delete at once. That way we don’t have to go on one by one giving a reason for each…

6 Likes

The reason locked groups stay locked is because of the funds in some of them. If all of these were suddenly unlocked, someone with a list of which groups have funds in them could just go through all of them and make hundreds of thousands of robux.

All the more reason to never allow abandoned groups to be claimed and just give out their names instead, assigning a placeholder name to the abandoned group in its place which the owner can reset if they ever come back to claim the group.

2 Likes

Someone suggested to me that groups have more specific ranking controls. Basically, allowing a particular rank, ranking abilities over specific ranks. That way, if you want a high rank in the group to be able to control some ranks below them but not others you can do that. Right now, you either can or cannot control all ranks below you.

4 Likes

A hacky way around this would be to set the ranks you don’t want affecting eachother to the same Rank Number (1-255).

1 Like

Would be super easy with the ability to assign multiple roles. There’d be a primary role that the user would show up as, but all other roles would have their permissions applied on top of that (like Discord permissions). For instance, instead of ROBLOX having to design something niche like a “ManageRankList” permission constraint specifically for this, we could just create roles that look like this:

- ModifyRanks0To50Permission
- ModifyRank55Permission
- ModifyRank60Permission

and assign those to the HR role which is assigned to every user in the group whose rank is >= 150

We need this still. This would change groups forever.

1 Like

Why on Earth hasn’t this even been slightly added yet. It was posted in 2014 and absolutely needs to be implemented. Things like this is what will keep people playing the site. I don’t mean to have this tone of ‘voice’ however there is no reason why this shouldn’t be added.

3 Likes

This would be important for many groups including Hidden Developers as I feel so limited currently. It would be a step in the right direction.

1 Like