[Limited Availability Beta] Asset Privacy and Permissions for Meshes, Images and Models

Bro, thats a joke that I made.

2 Likes

Okay, what? :neutral_face:

I see that this discussion is going places, more because of the overwhelming beta price of :robux_light: 30,000. Nevertheless, in my opinion, I can see why such insane price was applied to this feature. And why am I doing this? To put out the fire. :fire_extinguisher:

First off, it is clearly stated that this feature is in early access, thus the formidable and non-understood value. Hence, itā€™s evident that Robloxā€™s engineering team will need to use more resources and manual support, which allows Roblox to assist creators with more urgent needs. However, I still disagree with a reasonable fraction of such feature.

1. Primordially, the blockage of listing items on both the Avatar Marketplace and the Creator Store barricades the freedom of developers sharing newly-produced content for everyone until this feature is open for all users.
  2. Using an alternative account to upload assets. If that alt is falsely banned due to any circumstances ā€” Robloxā€™s moderation bot also counts ā€” the main account is also at risk of suffering any penalties.
  3. Any user who gets the item wonā€™t be able to use it? Great way of having creators being falsely mass-accused of scamming, which could also provoke an eventual account deletion by the moderation bots in the scenery of mass-reports, leading to a false positive.

Overall, I give this feature (knowing that itā€™s in early access and what was previously stated) a solidā€¦ 7.5. It requires a few security-related improvements, which is my biggest concern on the spot. Regardless, I see how this dodge mass-uploads and asset theft. Altogether, good update! :wink:

5 Likes

This is definitely not the first time a beta feature was in early access through a gamepass. The ability to switch games between a profile and group come to mind as one of those features you pay Roblox for.

3 Likes

Iā€™m aware of that and even then it still felt sketchy as hell :sob:, Iā€™d at least expected roblox to have a different way than doing what scammers do.

4 Likes

instead of setting it at 30k we can rather use a rollout featureā€¦
You are also forgetting roblox has ACTIVE testersā€¦

4 Likes

how does the engineering team need financial support from the platform developers?? canā€™t u just spawn in robux how is this useful for you donā€™t you get paid irl? are you planning to devex robux gained from this for some extra pay, are you underpaid? whatā€™s the point of putting something only developers are aware of and have to fill out a LIMITED time form behind a paywall? :skull:

3 Likes

Roblox seems to have forgotten that youā€™re supposed to pay people to test your product, not make them pay you.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been waiting for this feature since I joined the platform and I think itā€™s great but doesnā€™t the 70% of earnings you take from us cover this stuff, why are people now having to pay to test your features for you?

The only thing thatā€™s cooked from this is third party old Roblox revivals

1 Like

I fix up old games, this will be a nightmare if its retroactively applied

1 Like

Slight teeny tiny problem: Not every user is on top of their assets 24/7, and some have been inactive for years. Instead of defaulting to private, default to the legacy setting everyone already set their assets to. If the user wanted to keep it public, they should continue to have the asset public.

No kind of notification, email, or doordash delivery is going to indicate to a user that their assets are now private and awaiting your decision as to whether or not they should continue being on the creator marketplace. Hell, that user could be dead and their assets would be stuck in limbo.

If you really want to maximize respect for the userā€™s choices, keep their assets as-is in terms of privacy settings and ask them if they want those assets to continue staying on the platform for everyone to use. Until they decide, leave their assets alone.

1 Like

Hi Creators,

Thank you for your feedback. The beta is now closed, and ā€” based on your feedback ā€” weā€™ve decided to remove the 30K Robux requirement.

• We have reached the limit of creators we can support, and weā€™ve closed the request form. Unfortunately, we are unable to support all requests at this early stage. For creators we can support, we will follow up directly with you on the next steps (thank you!). For those who still need it, we will notify you when we are able to open up beta again to additional creators.
  • The beta will be free when capacity is available. We understand your concerns about requiring beta users to purchase a Game Pass, and future access to the beta wonā€™t have a cost, even if thereā€™s capacity restrictions.
  • Next year, we will make asset privacy broadly available and self-serve without this limited releaseā€™s restrictions.

Context on why we originally chose to require a Game Pass

We had to manage the demand while we scaled our system, as this early beta involves manual support. We also wanted to identify creators who were concerned about the impact of asset leaks on their workflows and business. We felt that adding the Game Pass requirement would help achieve both goals. We recognize this approach caused frustration and we apologize for this. We value your understanding and patience as we improve this in the future, and weā€™re excited to get this right for the whole community!

11 Likes

Donā€™t apologize, this approach has worked wonderfully in the past, and it should be used as a tool going forward. The entitlement of the vocal community on this matter should not change anything. We much prefer getting our hands on new features sooner so that we can give important feedback, rather than at release when it is much too late for anything to change, even if it costs robux to do so. This is a fair exchange when there is sufficient reason to select a limited number of users by need and their likelihood of using the feature in a significant way.

In the future, I think there should just be more care taken to clearly and obviously explain this reasoning in the announcement before the groupthink mob has a chance to take over the first N replies. It should be one of the first things people see in the thread, clearly broken out and grouped together.

• It will cost X robux for the beta period, but it will be free when it is released.
  • There is a temporary fee because this feature requires manual human effort right now, but we want to allow as many developers who need this feature to participate as we can reasonably handle.
  • We want to release this in [rough timeframe].

The announcement here obfuscates this a decent amount. Doing the above wonā€™t eliminate the issue, people here are entitled, but I am confident it will help.

7 Likes

Our mission ainā€™t complete. Many creators (including yours truly) are still asking for the return of uploading public audio through Roblox even if the sound is longer than 10 seconds or contains any copyright-compliant format that is not considered by Roblox to be a sound effect. Itā€™s likely an add-to-inventory requirement will apply which I think is understandable but does not bring sound Id-based radios to their former glory (most of the time).

1 Like