[Limited Availability Beta] Asset Privacy and Permissions for Meshes, Images and Models

If high priority users are indeed big game studios, why doesn’t Roblox simply hand-select those studios for beta testing instead of implementing a paywall?

While you may be right in that big game studios have their assets leaked/copied more frequently, you forget to consider who would be most severely impacted by such leak. Smaller studios with volatile player bases can be significantly harmed when their games are copied by competitors, leading to dwindling player-base. This contrasts with large studios that typically have more resources to mitigate such impacts. Again I ask you, who are the real high-priority users here? ( not that it matters anyways, see below )

The idea of a raffle was suggested for its fairness across the board. However, if Roblox insists on selective participation, hand-picking larger studios could be an alternative approach.

Ultimately, the crux of the issue is whether this unfinished, bare minimum feature is worth the steep price of 300$ in Robux. From a rational perspective, it’s hard to justify such a cost. It appears unapologetically anti-consumer, especially when considering Roblox’s status as a multi-billion dollar corporation. The 30,000 Robux price tag is negligible for them, especially for a feature that will eventually be offered for free. Roblox has enough money to pay their engineers, they just don’t want to. Instead Roblox will continue to push out these anti-consumer features/updates, and your unadulterated praises only serve to embolden them more.

That’s all I have to say regarding this issue though. Cheers

4 Likes

so what happens when a critical feature gets released in beta behind a massive paywall, leading to nobody being able to test it, resulting in a completely buggy and unfinished product?

let’s say that they brought out the new physics solver in beta behind a major paywall; nobody’s gonna want to test something that they have to pay upwards of $300 for a beta feature, leading to less bugs being reported and far more in the final product

my point is this will likely not be the last time they paywall a beta feature and if they keep doing this in the future, it could result in disastrous outcomes for new features going forward

1 Like

This isn’t the case, and has never happened.

This isn’t the case, and has never happened.

It is pay walled because it requires engineers to manually complete the process. You are using unjust comparisons.

1 Like

that’s… exactly what an analogy is for?? yes it hasn’t happened YET, but the goal is to prevent a future where it IS the case and that it HAS happened
to think that it absolutely will never happen is pretty closed minded; nobody expected tickets to be removed, subscriptions to be added and betas to be paywalled

1 Like

You made a point about small developers not having access to the feature in your original reply, and now you are in favour of a system where only large studios are hand picked by Roblox which would ironically lead to even less people having access to it. Again, the whole point of this price tag is so people who are actually being affected can have a solution right now instead of having to wait until 2025.

Again, the price is only there to minimise waiting lists and make the feature accessible to those who need it right this moment. That’s what “Limited Availability” means.

And I cannot fathom why people keep mentioning the purchase rate of $300 instead of the devex rate of $105 (admittedly still considerable) when the feature is tailored to developers

3 Likes

You are using examples that haven’t even happened, nor have we had any indication that they will happen. Roblox has had hundreds of free in-engine beta features in the past that you can opt-into, but let’s not talk about those huh

My argument was pretty clear. While I would ultimately be in favor of smaller ‘high priority’ developers getting access first, I am not against larger developers being handpicked to test. What I am against in an absurd paywall

I just don’t get it. Why do you defend such an insane paywall. It’s completely unnecessary, especially when your entire argument is that it just serves as a filtering process. Limited availability doesn’t have to be achieved through outrageous paywalls. If we take the 100$ devex rate, then you have this BETA, and UNFINISHED, feature for a few months until it goes free. Im sorry, there is no justifying this, especially not since Roblox has enough money to pay their engineers.

Again you can continue to argue for this, but i’ll stand by my original belief, in that I don’t believe this is appropriate of Roblox. But this is my final post on the matter

1 Like

… You can’t be serious, lol

I am obviously in favour of the feature being free, but acting like the reason for the current paywall doesn’t exist is plain ignorance

1 Like

Needing to pay 30,000 Robux ($300) for early access to test a feature is just absurd. Alongside that, it’s a feature that has to do with privacy, why do you need to pay 30,000 Robux for privacy?

1 Like

That is a very bold thing to say, as you are saying that smaller game studios / smaller developers who get little to no profit don’t really need the feature of privacy.

1 Like

With this Asset Privacy it also limits extensions from downloading meshes as well? I know some extensions have set features allowing the download of meshes if they type in the catalog #, was just wondering if this will battle that.

1 Like

my bad, turns out they’ve actually done this once in the past:

this is where half of my bug reports are, of course i know about them
those bug reports wouldn’t exist if those features were paywalled

2 Likes

I’d rather change my username 30 times, create 300 groups, or upload 3,000 shirts.
That’s crazy.

2 Likes

If the ability to archive becomes available for all assets, then that might be an alternative and then you can re-upload it as restricted.

1 Like

This is a huge relief and we appreciate that this change does not cause some of the same concerns and disadvantages from the previous privacy rollout in 2022.

2 Likes

saw this and i was almost certain that a roblox staff account got breached and this was some sort of weird scam
this has gotta be the shadiest way roblox could officially roll out a beta feature to select users

2 Likes

Look this is alright and all but 30K ROBUX??? Rather do a lot of crazy stuff with that amount of money.

I know it’ll be free soon but having to private your assets for 30,000 robux is not worth it.
Just wait for 2025 and the feature is free i guess.

Honestly, this update is useless and ok at the same time, it either puts small devs into the trash like me who don’t even have money for their needed work on their game, or preventing an entire community leaking an event/game/update.

i think roblox just demands our money. destroying their slogan.

2 Likes

Awesome reply frinigus, this still doesnt change the fact it will be 30k for some time. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

If there was only an application for this, top devs would be the ones to use the beta and no one else (Then small devs complain even more). So having it 30k allows anyone who truly needs it and doesn’t make this exclusively for top game devs on the front page.

They did this with games transferring from profiles to groups cause it was manual by the engineering team and the same reason they did it here, for devs who need it before it’s public for free. Seeing how they have to manually support this beta with a small team of engineers, they can’t allow everyone in it until it’s done in 2025.

4 Likes

It is a beta. It has a price tag because it’s in beta. Giving it a price tag is a volume-limiting mechanism. They cannot handle every single user on the platform using this in the beta because there is currently still a manual component in this feature. Real human beings have to manually do something for every user of this feature. So logically they do not want a massive stampede of users to dogpile this feature, or to have a million application forms to process if they want a medium sized volume of users for testing . This price mechanism was literally used only last year(?) for a different beta feature (group renames or transfers IIRC) and everyone was cool with it.

If you want to use it without paying, wait for it to leave beta. It has to be expensive so as to not be so trivial that they overwhelm themselves with users. The fee is there at all so that developers who want this feature enough are able to attain it - these users are likely some of the most useful users for the purpose of beta testing because they have a significant playerbase and are invested in the feature because they need it, and are hence more likely to provide the most relevant feedback. If you can’t pay for it, don’t pay for it, wait and pretend like you didn’t see the announcement. Your life will literally not change at all.

It’s a price-tag for the purpose of letting you beta test a feature that currently is not ready to scale platform-wide, and would be ineffective or disliked to privately select testers for. If you hang up the “I’m offended at having to pay for something” hat so many entitled users here seem to have, it is obvious that allowing some users to choose to participate based on their need rather than selecting a closed group and ignoring the rest (literally thousands and thousands of >1000 CCU games) is far better.

This community, I swear.

CC @Utk4_e @DanielPlaysInROBLOX @oIive_branch @ItzFlibat @LuffyReformed everyone else complaining on this thread rather than talking about this cool feature that’s coming.
Let’s bring it back down to earth.

11 Likes