Live Scripting Full Release

Excellent job, team Roblox! This revolutionary feature will help my friends and me when we have to code features collaboratively.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s an awesome update. Finally I can code with da boes

10 Likes

What is happening to Drafts? Also no opt-out is ridicious, why are you forcing this on people who donā€™t want it on by default. Please add a preferences tab for things like this into studio settings, setting up and using studio in new places is frustrating when I have to constantly adjust things like StreamingEnabled being on by default.

10 Likes

If multiple people were familiar with the framework, multiple people being able to edit a script at once would increase the speed of completing something exponentially. You could have each person work on different functions and systems for the script to get it done quicker. I personally loved using Live Scripting during the game jam.

12 Likes

name one reason u would turn streaming enabled off

7 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! Nice job to everyone.

10 Likes

Users can still switch to Draft mode; we are not removing it with this announcement. As we mentioned, we recognize the ongoing need to isolate work from remote collaborators.

12 Likes

RCC must like this update.
Seriously, good job.

8 Likes

You would need to provide a really good use case for this to be opt-out. There is no drawback whatsoever to this change.

9 Likes

If someone with a weak connection canā€™t connect to a Live Scripting session, they wonā€™t be able to modify the script which is being worked on.

Is is possible to enable Live Scripting for only a subset of the scripts in a given game?

Iā€™m asking because I havenā€™t touched Studio in a while and canā€™t be bothered to test the new feature out.

12 Likes

Yeah bad network donā€™t help me with this feature. And because most of the time my Roblox Studio Shut. I just copy past the script in a notepad to not loose the modification.

7 Likes

As much as itā€™s a cool feature, please for the love of god keep the drafts permanently. This might be great for some, but I despise trying to code when text keeps popping in and out in my peripheral vision.

9 Likes

It is beneficial in certain games, but for games such as airplane simulators, it breaks the realism by cutting off the map, but it can be helpful in certain use cases; I use it sometimes, and I donā€™t have a problem with it being enabled by default, but I think it should be editable in like itā€™s own tab.

6 Likes

Do we know if drafts will show who edited what in the final draft (commit)?

3 Likes

Very good! Iā€™ve been using the beta with a couple of my developers for a while. Nice to see that itā€™s finally out.
One question however, why are some of the text colors different in the gif?

3 Likes

How did they do that thing in the demo video where a bunch of the same words are highlighted and edit them all at the same time?? I need to know this.

Seems like a great update for all the seasoned scripters though. If a bunch of beginner/intermediates like me were on the same script though, it would be a disaster. :face_with_spiral_eyes: :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Excellent! Now I can code with my friends. Great job Roblox team!

4 Likes

Itā€™s magic from Multi Cursor, you can add extra cursor by alt + click. There are also few other ways to add extra cursor.

7 Likes

I dunno about you, but I never use it, because last I checked thereā€™s no fine-grain control over exactly what gets replicated. Iā€™d rather low end devices not be able to play my games than have stuff break because of undefined ā€œdoes this existā€ behaviour, myself.

As for the actual feature in the topic: Looks great! I will still use local files and sending said files over Discord instead of team create though. Personal preference, would rather not have a server involved at all, even if the connection is reliable.

2 Likes

You can use Model LODs to make models visible when streamed out.

3 Likes