LoadAssetVersion and GetLatestAssetVersionAsync to work in group-owned places

As a developer, it is impossible to dynamically reload free assets when they are updated on the main site if the game they are in is group-owned.

I would like to do this with a public ModuleScript, but require(assetId) caches, so it will never load the updated version if the module updates while the game is running. To prevent caching, I must use methods such as LoadAssetVersion and GetLatestAssetVersionAsync, as these allow me to query and insert the latest version of the module without caching. However, these methods require that the game’s owner owns the free asset being inserted. Groups cannot take models, so there is no way to do this in group-owned games.

As a note, LoadAsset also has this same requirement that the asset is owned by the game owner.

If Roblox is able to resolve this issue, it would allow me to subscribe to events controlled by the model being updated, such as a cross-game, cross-owner model for alliances of groups that broadcasts shouts contained in the model when updated. This is preferable to a webserver which is complicated and costly to host

3 Likes