Localized Game Icons and Thumbnails

This new feature is surely a huge improvement for the Developers.

1 Like

This is one of the better updates that has been pushed recently :pray: :pray:

1 Like

Where is “Manage Translations” at?

1 Like

This is a great new feature.
I’m extremely excited to start using this new feature.

1 Like

Thank you kalypso3, very cool!

I’ll definitely try this out sometime. It’s nice that it is becoming easier than ever to have our games reach out to a wider audience.

1 Like

That’s a really awesome change although my only question is, how will you be moderating icons in languages originally unsupported by Roblox (as in no one speaks the language fluently enough to moderate the asset)? It’s quite important since the #international category only supports 4 languages and the official website doesn’t support any more than that.

3 Likes

Awesome update! I’ll definitely use this!

1 Like

Can’t wait to use this. Great update that’ll help Developers show support for countries during holidays, etc. And the obvious alternative text for different languages. :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Oh yeah. I can finally add nekos to my game icon and not be considered a weirdo. The time has come for game icons to reach their full potential >:)

6 Likes

Glad you asked, the team is working on it as we speak :slight_smile: We will be releasing a first version in the next few months. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

When localizing the icon, you can have completely different icon per language :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @Dandystan for the reference. Yep, you can already localize your game title and description on the Configure Localization page.

In the future, we’ll be moving that functionality into Manage Translations in an effort to streamline your workflow.

3 Likes

Absolutely! Localized thumbnails is not released yet but this is another feature we’re actively working on and will be available soon :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Now developers can set their own game icons with a bit of variety to each place in the world. Similar to how Disney did Zootropolis where each region got their own news reporter.

It was a small difference but one that was very interesting and gave it a really “personal” touch. I am extremely looking forward to see if developers do take this on-board and do something similar. It would be pretty neat if developers took the time to slightly alter game icons for each place they’re trying to target to appeal more to them.

I’m not talking about a huge redesign for every single place in the world but if you’re going to create a localised game icon why not make it truly localised (if possible) and remembering that you can appeal to more UK residents if you use British English (Trousers > Pants, Colour > Color, Favourite > Favorite) if you use any American-ised English version of spelling in the title, description or game icon.

1 Like

That’s the plan! :smiley: Localized Game Icons

2 Likes

yep! We’re glad so many of you are excited about the features we’re working on. We’ll release localized game thumbnails, passes, and badges soon!

2 Likes

There’s a longer lead time on this to localize UGC products and assets, but we’re looking into it and gradually expanding the tools and our backend to support this.

Up to you! We review your icon images for moderation and safe content but otherwise, its entirely up to you how similar/different you want to make your icons for different languages. If you think a palm tree will connect with the users in a tropical country better, then by all means, use a palm tree. Localization is a broad umbrella that goes beyond just translating the text to include geographic and cultural optimizations and its awesome that you’re thinking about it.

2 Likes

this will be very useful for me! Why can I change the icon of my game to get more attention in another culture! For example, my game is originally made in Brazil and now I can make changes to draw more attention to the culture of a different country! This is really AMAZING!

We actually officially support 9 languages (English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Korean, and Japanese) and have moderation agents fluent in each of these languages reviewing content. If something slips through and gets reported, we take it down immediately.

1 Like