Lock development discussion

But what rank would they lock it to? And also that might just open a can of worms that might not be closable.

In short, lock it to no one. Keeping it as an archive but prevent new posting.

But if they lock it, then we will see posts that belong in DD in other sections.

Also doing this may open a can of worms thats not able to be closed

2 Likes

I’m unable to see rounge category. Wondering if viewer is unable to see DD.

Lounge is only available to those of the Regular trust level and above, the reason why you can’t see it is because you have the Member TL

1 Like

This is my point of view on a possible lock:

I’m a staunch supporter of opening restricted categories to members (albeit with some limitations) and still I stand in support of locking development discussion. I derive such little value from that category that even as an average member, even if I lose access to yet another precious category, I don’t care and am willing to take that pill if it means an eyesore of the forum will be cleaned up for good.

It wouldn’t be a bitter pill to swallow; I’d consider it closer to some flavors of candy: somewhat sour but primarily sweet.

What about the (very likely) possibility of other categories being degraded? The solution has already been proposed above: intermediate trust levels! I actually proposed this on another thread:

Please, Roblox. If you read this, I plead with you to lock Development Discussion or at least start considering some serious changes. Little discussion happens there and most posts are useless, irrelevant to me, or just downright spam. I rest my case.

cc: @railworks2, @DarkPixlz

Locking that category literality solves nothing about the problem, the only thing that would change is that everyone would have one less category to talk in.

Off-Topic posts would just spread towards other categories and make the DevForum worse, so it might be better to just leave it be honestly.

The only way this problem can be solved is if trust levels were updated and maintained, but Roblox hasn’t done that in like 2 years and it’s unlikely we’ll ever see anything like that anytime soon.

That’s actually a really great idea, but knowing Roblox…they’re probably too lazy to add in something like that to the DevForum.

They’re basically Valve when to comes to DevForum updates nowadays, which is pretty sad honestly.

2 Likes

They existed, then Roblox took them away, so now we only have 2. Pwering imagination :man_shrugging:

So… why hasn’t this happened yet? This issue is only getting worse. At the very least, creating discussion posts should be locked to regular, and replies can be made by everyone. This would make DET’s life so much easier.

If you no longer want to see development discussion posts, just remove it from your feed in settings:

4 Likes

I want to see development discussion posts but not long rant threads, cheap polls, and AskReddit type threads.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, you’re out of luck then. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Development Discussion is what happens when you take something good and let random people who dont know what they’re doing run rampant on it.

I agree with the sentiment that it needs to be somewhat locked but not fully, and thats a challenge that’ll need to be figured out in time.

The amount of “Roblox bad for developer” threads that have popped up recently is what really did it for me, and i have the category hidden and I’m still complaining about it

5 Likes

Discourse does have a slow mode to slow down replies on topics as shown below:

1 Like

Actually, I think they should be Muted as Discourse has that feature. If they were Suspended that would prevent them from logging into the Forum.

2 Likes

I disagree with it being locked, especially without a path to unlock it.
While I would agree that not everyone on day one of the forums is exactly mature in this sense, the developer discussion topic is the only topic that allows free-flowing conversations about development to take place.

I would agree that people posting inappropriate spam, especially offensive stuff, should be reprimanded or banned based on severity.

To me, the problem you are describing is a moderation issue, not an access issue, and it would not be solved by locking it.

Last I remember, this forum has things like “off-topic” flags with posts that can be removed, unless that’s gone now. Addressing how this content is moderated is a far better solution that would also allow the topic to serve its purpose.

Edit: Or, as Epicwarrior above suggested, rather than suspension, mute them.
If you don’t want to ban, have a “perma-mute” option, or at least a very long-time mute.
Like “you’ve been muted from this topic for 1 year, you can post again when you’ve matured” :laughing:

Really though, there could easily be appropriate intervals based on the goals of staff in this. These people getting muted will certainly slow down their behavior and either set them on the right course or make it so they aren’t a problem anymore.

I think the goal needs to be to get more responsible well-intended developers to participate by opening the forums to them. As for the garbage, that can be solved by emptying the trash.

Also, to be 100% frank. I think this would help with some of the toxic veteran developers too. Just as much as hate or suggestions to ban LGBT are problematic and bad for Roblox, so is all the hate new developers get from veterans. Their posts about their feelings about adult developers or development companies on the platform are just as much a toxic form of hate that Roblox would be far better off without.

As a developer, I don’t use this forum that much because all of the locks make the forum feel too limited, and often the things I would come here for I can’t even do. The straight bigotry and disdain from many of the “Regular”+ developers makes hard-working newer developers want to leave this forum and attracts a more undesired group who feel the example those people lead with is an indication that hate is tolerated.

2 Likes

There is also a Forever option for the mute.

Not only can they mute them but can lock their trust level where whey will remain that trust level until an Admin unlocks it.

As seen in this example:

If there were much more mods, this wouldnt even be a problem.

But unfortunately, it is the main trolling category for trollers. but at this point, i dont even know if to lock dev discussion or not, because some people use it well.

Mute development discussion is your best solution if mods dont do anything abt this.