Lock development discussion

I argee, However, i love posting in development discussion, because i like to hear other people’s opinion about stuff!

Being honest though, this should be locked when roblox changes the ranking page, because:

Promotions from Member to Regular are on hold until the criteria are updated, since Post Approval has been removed in September 2020.

I genuinely believe that ever since post approval + rankups to regular got removed, they turned development discussion into a semi-lounge (almost anything goes as long as it’s related to Roblox in the slightest amount) and that’s why every single post gets approved despite being what was originally offtopic/irrelevant/not a good enough post for dev discussion.

I guess this isn’t too bad of an idea, considering devforum users don’t actually have many other places they can create threads that aren’t for a very specific purpose, but as soon as regular applications get added back (see: never) I do agree that development discussion should be locked back up, at least for creating new posts.

1 Like

The epidemic of off topic and spam posts is honestly the worst I have ever seen it since I’ve been on here (I mean, 2019 isn’t too long but I’ve used it in the past several times before making an actual account here). Looking at our options of what to do with the category, these are getting slimmer and lesser to choose from, and really, the only way is simply to close DD to Regular+.

DD is simply a lost cause at this point, as someone once put it before (i cant remember who did i’d like to credit them but i dont wanna @ the wrong person). It’s basically a lounge for members, except with people constantly flagging and heavy moderation on what can be posted there.

These past maybe two to three weeks have been super painful to watch, with topics about useless crap and things that aren’t even about development on Roblox! Why did Brookhaven get so popular? How can I stop drinking energy drinks? What??? How is talking about how a game gaining traction and asking for advice on how to stop drinking a fluid development? We’d might as well merge #lounge and #development-discussion together for the ultimate Roblox forums 2.0 for crying out loud.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but I’m getting tired of posts about nothing in DD and I would like to see something done by the moderators/staff in regards to these posts about locking up DD. This is just madness.

6 Likes

If you have a problem with a post, flag it.

3 Likes

As far as I’d hate to disagree with your statement, you’re right. I used to support the idea of the Developer Engagement Team opening #development-discussion for Members, when Post Approval was disbanded, but as the days pass, I can tolerate one or more few more off-category topics, but now it just became worst, more and more non-related to development topics are being pushed through in #development-discussion… take this topic for example.
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/was-old-roblox-better/1132328

How is this even related to development? Secondly, why did they let this through despite the fact it’s already flagged for a valid reason. Even in flagging the off-category topic, becomes ignored and is seen as ‘valid’, despite the fact it goes against guidelines.
What’s worst, based on my observation, people are motivated to do off-topic threads in #development-discussion, because Members keep replying to it, this also attracts the attention of post farmers, to break the category rules just to get likes and in hope that their topic dosen’t get removed… despite the fact they’re just making it a lot worst.
I’ll tell you back when I was newer in the Developer Forum, back when I was just a Member, I always see topics like this always get deleted due to the fact that it dosen’t fit category guidelines for posting especially, that it’s not even related to development.

For now, let’s just wait, and see for the Developer Engagement Team’s solution to our current situation. Since the Post Approval Team, was removed, there’s no team currently available to check if the posts are valid for the guidelines, especially for #development-discussion or #bug-reports categories.

Haven’t you seen the current situation, despite flagging they already sometimes count the topic as valid in #development-discussion despite the fact that it’s not valid and even off-topic.

5 Likes

I don’t really thing we should be encouraged to rank up only for lounge, as lounge doesn’t have too much of a point anymore.

I agree, I’m on board with the whole locking D.D to regulars thing.

The thing is that people still do it. They think it’s right to do it, because they;ve seen other people do it. Flagging usually takes hours to days.

I think it should be regular only to be able to create topics but members can respond

3 Likes

Any proof on it? What do you mean with “lgbt should be banned”? Such posts can be easily reported which I highly encourage you to report if some posts break rules. But this what you said, I have never met on devforum.

You can’t really report a systemic issue, and as for those posts they are obviously taken down, but if you would like i can privately message you some posts.

I’m also going to be completely honest about this, we should discourage off-topic #development-discussion made by new members… one of the facts that we can discourage this and limit trashy #development-discussion topics, is the fact that we should stop replying to off-topic posts.

I’ve been recently analyzing the current situation of the #development-discussion category, and that’s one of the fact that we’re encouraging bad behavior that we don’t even realize ourselves. Check this out for example, we’re currently aware that there are more and more Developer who’s are trying to get into the Developer Forum, however some people are too stubborn and don’t even bother to read the rules, so since they’re not Members yet and are able to view the topics of the Developer Forum, they normally get from example from many Members instead of reading the rules…
However, the example being shown by some Members, especially by the new ones to the Visitors who are trying to get into the Forum are somewhat horrible, especially with post like farmers… why? Well, for one, let’s see… the fact that they post off-topic in #development-discussion off-category threads are already worse, this would influence some visitors who don’t read the rules to do the same, not only that, some members of the Developer Forum, encourage bad behavior… because look, if we keep on replying and even liking off-topic category posts made in #development-discussion, this would encourage them to create more topics which would trash the category… inflaming a discussion with an off-topic thread just encourages more and more people to think to themselves that despite the thread’s off-topic, it’s still a relevant discussion and should be posted which should be not, especially with post farmers, who just post for the sake of likes, they will take chances, and try to see if their posts does not get flagged.

Now, if we analyze our current situation in #development-discussion, there’s some topics that despite flagging, and not even related to development, they’re becoming immune to flags, take this thread for example…

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/was-old-roblox-better/1132328

I’ve used this topic as my example for my earlier post, however if you’ll see, that this is not in anyway related to development though it’s still immune to flagging, and also, as I’ve stated earlier…

These types of topics are normally removed however I’m uncertain that why the Developer Engagement Team allowed this to remain, however, in all general, locking #development-discussion is the only way to avoid further chaos in destroying the quality of the #development-discussion category, however in the meantime, as it’s not closed, may we please, stop encouraging people to post off-topic threads… may I please ask… as DevForum Members who should be aware of the rules, may you please read the rules? Along with stop replying to off-topic posts made in #development-discussion to discourage farm posters or newer Members to create off-topic #development-discussion threads.

Lastly, about bug reports we keep seeing in #development-discussion, as responsible Members of this community, may I please request for everybody, instead of replying to it, maybe just private message the user to report the bug to @Bug-Support, instead of replying to the thread about attempt solutions or unnecessary questions, and just flag the thread.

5 Likes

I feel like this would be a good idea.

My reasoning:

When I first joined this was still Regular only meaning some actual development discussion.
Now due to the way that the forums now run where people could just get in from reading for a certain time. This was extremely annoying because all of a sudden when they reopened the discussion for members because then I saw a decrease in Quality and Grammar.

I can understand that not everyone is perfect and not aware of how this works maybe also of the language. Now people should take this seriously since this isn’t some place to chat or makes post named “Why is Brookhaven so popular?” As mentioned from @iamtryingtofindname

I am also not perfect in stuff like grammar but, This is a forum and a discussion for development, before posting, put some thought.

I don’t think it should be locked, maybe just people need a little reminder.

They should create a new category called “DevForum chat” if you want to block the #development-discussion

To worsen the issue? Discord works for this just fine.

8 Likes

Are you serious? Why do Members fail to comprehend that the reason why #development-discussion should be locked is to be not used as a chatting room or a public forum, it’s a Developer’s Forum not a public forum, honestly, in terms of chatting you should just go to Discord or Roblox chat. This is not a place for community chatting only a forum for Development-related activities.

3 Likes

I one hundred percent agree. Most threads that actually get a good flow of replies are opinion pieces that don’t really have anything to do with Roblox development. The main perpetrator right now being whatever is going on in the Old Roblox vs New Roblox thread as mentioned earlier.

Even as a member who would not have access to #development-discussion, I think not being able to reply would be a good trade-off for more qualitative discussion and hinder spammy threads.

I really hope someone from Roblox will see this thread. I’m tired of these spam and off-topic posts. Making #development-discussion only for Regulars to create threads and to be able to become a Regular.

… all the topics that show up in development discussion for me right now are not supposed to be there.

Am I the only one that thinks we should be getting a new “role” that people have to go to?

I remember seeing “New Member” as a thing, and I feel like having something like that, but that limits use to posting only to #help-and-feedback and such, and then an actual member would have access to #development-discussion but allowed to post, and to get this “privilege”, you would have to make some #help-and-feedback topics beforehand.

Like you can see a lot of the topics from the screenshot I showed you are HELP AND FEEDBACK posts. They also might be due to the confusion surrounding help and feedback.

A lot of them might say: “I don’t know if this is the right category”, one thing to think about is that if you’re posting it I’m #development-discussion, it’s very likely that’s not the right place at all.

3 Likes

I kinda agree and don’t. Development Discussion can spark useful topics (although I’ve only made 1 which hasn’t got taken down).

I definitely see spam topics which should be taken down though.

It shouldn’t just be removed entirely because it’s still a big part of the forum and the most popular category, the mods should just do their job that’s it

Honestly, they should lock it up, first of all… haven’t you noticed Members already trashed #development-discussion? What do you expect from it? It’s clear that people would always mistake #development-discussion as a category to post whatever topics there. It isn’t really a big part of the Developer Forum, it’s just a category where developers get the perspective of each other towards an opinion or…

Somehow, when Members get ahold of #development-discussion most of the topics there aren’t educational, and they could even answer it on their own by common sense.

They’re doing their job, however due to the influx of irrelevant topics they get flooded with it. They can’t remove it all at ones, they also have limited manpower, not everything could be taken care over by moderators considering the fact that the Developer Forum Community has grown to a much bigger number.

3 Likes