Lock replies in announcements to only regulars+

Less new members making crap posts would make it easier to hone in on regulars making similarly crap posts.

At the very least, this should be done towards hot topics. The “oof” sound post, new materials post, and avatar upload posts all come to mind. Quickly growing to hundreds of replies, most of which are a direct repeat of something said earlier or something posted with an extreme lack of effort.

6 Likes

Exactly. Even regulars misuse and try to snipe the first reply for “stat farming” and it’s honestly annoying.

Locking down to certain people won’t work when those people are guilty of the same things as well.

6 Likes

I disagree, no one can be a regular anymore. If a member has a question or concern what are they supposed to do?

1 Like

Even as just a member I still have to agree with Wooley, flagging has been abused for no reason such as members flagging a post for feedback in feedback about an error they got and why Roblox should change it, but members would flag it and say it should be posted in Scripting.

If you have anything, it’ll likely be asked by a regular. If not, fill out a support ticket. They’ll take it from there.

You have a great point there.

I’m honestly tired of seeing all these threads about limiting access to the forum to anyone with the Member rank, I understand that useless posts are annoying to everyone and there should be a way to keep them from being made.

But seeing suggestions that constantly bash Members are also annoying.

Whetever people want to admit it or not, there is clearly a bias against Members among some of the Regulars making suggestions like this.

Suggestions like this have been made for nearly a year now, so I do believe a few of them have a grudge against the idea of Members having posting freedom as a whole.

I don’t disagree with you there, but we have the option to flag posts for a reason.

It may take time since the moderators are human of course, but it does work.

Members are also developers, so they should get equal access to the forum also.

Yes, they might make a few slip-ups when posting anywhere…but that’s what flagging is for.

Also, just because it’s hard for you and a few dozen other developers to get Roblox Staff to answer questions doesn’t mean 80% of the forum should be restricted from replying there as a result.

It can be frustrating when not getting a proper response to a problem, but forcing that frustration on many others isn’t the right choice.

That always won’t work, there are more Members on the DevForum than Regulars. Meaning that there are more eyes to catch game-breaking bugs or errors.

I’ve also seen Members bring up important suggestions or thoughts that weren’t even considered by anyone else, so the point you made is only half-right.

There’s already a system in place that prevents Members from getting badges or promotions with no effort, so that’s already covered.

And again, you can flag any non-contributing posts.

Useless posts can be flagged and we have this:

Exactly, but just because an announcement has a few dozen replies doesn’t mean they’ll all be similar.

For example, recently Roblox recently announced that more advanced reflections were coming to Roblox.

As you can see, there are currently over 170 replies but each one is different from one another.

Everyone has a different experience when trying out something like this, which is why you won’t find many posts that repeat the same stuff from someone else.

The like button is very useful like you say, but it won’t stop announcements from getting hundreds of replies since everyone has a different experience and therefore, people always have something different to show or to say.

This won’t always be the case, but we do have the flag option after all.

SUMMARY:

I understand your intentions with this suggestion and I do think people can get carried away with replying, but it’s like buildthomas said:

Any suggestion that is too discriminatory toward another rank is completely ignored by Roblox, there’s been many threads like yours calling for more restrictions against those with a Member rank but they all failed to become a reality.

There are better options that can be suggested to counter useless posts, but it requires thought and time to do so.

If limiting all these useless posts is something you really want to do however, I would focus on thinking of a solution that doesn’t end with one side getting major restrictions. Otherwise none of your suggestions will become a reality.

I do think you can come up with something however, so I look forward to supporting the next idea you get.

14 Likes

However
locking it down to just regulars makes the regulars stand out more so when they’re problematic. And I’m sure if it got locked down, all the new members will just flag the heck out of anything remotely problematic on those threads. (I’m sure some members flag like crazy thinking this might give them more of an edge to promotion…)

2 Likes

To be honest in retrospect this is a good idea, but that is only if the regular system was working… We can’t prioritize access and utility and take away something if we can’t even achieve it in the first place. Members who are regulars continue to push for more restrictions of usage on the forum since you are grandfathered in as a regular since you got it before the end of post approval and forgetting about us who can’t even get it??? Makes sense…

I do agree that announcements is somewhat of a garbage dumping ground at times with sometimes less contributive responses. As many people have already stated regular is great and all but i don’t see how readding regular to the forum would be that hard of a task considering roblox has many employees, but many posts have been made about this topic already so I won’t further this.

If you really have questions about the update you can often message the individual who made the announcement post themselves and speak with them, i’ve done this before to express my gratitude to certain employees who made features that I felt were really cool. I’m sure the same can be done for questions and other things. Devforum shouldn’t be a first come first serve for regulars though.

This is what I’m saying.

I understand that regulars may have more forum knowledge but no matter what TL you are, you have the full capability of making nonconstructive posts. I’d agree with this feature request if there is a post approval replacement, but as of know, there’s no way to get regular

3 Likes

I disagree with locking replies. I’m currently a member and I rarely see these issues. If you see them, you can flag them as they are spammy. Locking the forum down further will push most developers further off the platform to services like Hidden Developers which already provides much more.

4 Likes

No, not really. They’re not willing to moderate against these kinds of posts at all, so we’re stuck with them because calling them out is both against the rules and not really great forum etiquette also.

Locking posts for #updates:announcements would be furious for me, because sometimes I have questions. I may also find a bug, and since I am still a member rn, the only way I can report is inside of #updates:announcements.

3 Likes

I don’t know if I misunderstood, but wouldn’t moderators just delete any offending post and privately give feedback? I’m not sure how that is bad etiquette or calling them out, if it is done to keep announcements clean

1 Like

I am positive people wouldn’t be so desperate to reply in announcements.
If they can’t reply there, why would they leave?. They have other things to do on the forum.
They can at least leave a like and not be upset about the fact that they can’t reply to one single category.

I can’t make posts in Regular locked channels and I haven’t left the forums.

I agree that there is some yes-man posts around the forum, but you must understand that both members and regulars make these posts. Limiting announcments to regulars only would lower the amount of these posts, but also lower the amount of any other posts. If anything, regulars care more about being the first to comment on an announcement, as being a regular in the first place requires dedication.

1 Like

Don’t you think that locking replies would just cause more spam on the forum? You’re going to see dozens of DD topics on the same announcement just for people to spill their thoughts somewhere.

5 Likes

Many might disagree with me (or maybe not), but I think it would be better if your post gets flagged and you make another one and that also gets flagged, you can no longer reply to that topic. (Could also be useful if this was on all categories, idk)

2 Likes

Not sure if you noticed but they happen regardless of if there’s even an announcement or not because people want to bolster their stats with the same “what do you think of x” post that could be easily posted on the announcement.

1 Like

Actually why don’t they do it like this?

The announcement had a separate #development-discussion topic made for it and there was less noise. I don’t know if the users that were likely to spam “omg thanks!1!1” got the message, but it worked. Much less noise. Maybe they should do it like this.

17 Likes