Looking Forward in 2020: This Year's Developer Roadmap

Game content ratings are probably going to be like ESRB ratings, in that they’ll measure the maturity of the content in a game, not how well received a game is by the community.

2 Likes

All of the Roadmap seems very promising and exciting!
However I am sceptical but interested on the 3d clothing feature.
Same with this feature as well, although I am sure it will be helpful to games that have teenager/mature material in it.

3 Likes

That makes a lot of sense actually. That could also help with games that wish to keep blood affects in their game as well.

Perfect for weather games with that feature.

To be honest, even though this is going to be added in late 2020, I can’t wait for future is bright V3, because possibly it might allow the lighting technology to be scriptable for eg. Voxel to ShadowMap.

2020 marks probably the BIGGEST jump in the engine’s technology. Mesh deformation, facial animations, better fog, new lighting system. This is crazy.

Of course you have to keep in mind the amount of optimizations coming too w/ mesh level of detail in the game world and on avatars, that’s gonna help push this fancy new pretty stuff without causing lag. Amazing.

6 Likes

I know what you mean. If this level of work continues in future roadmaps I can soon see ray tracing coming to Roblox and that would be amazing :star_struck:

3 Likes

This entire roadmap makes me tingle with excitement! However, June is almost over and there are a lot of features that have yet to be shipped. I really hope not too many of the 2nd Quarter features get deferred! Especially mesh deformation, which I am very excited about.

5 Likes

I am concerned. June is ending in 3 days, can we get can update on the progress? Specifically mesh deform and PBR materials?

1 Like

Ngl, i feel like it’s gonna be a huge disappointment. Unless they’re gonna add these in bulk, I have a feeling some of them are going to be deferred or delayed by a lot.

6 Likes

I agree. Since 2019 the road maps have been very ambitious. The 2019 road map seemed too good to be true back then, but a lot of features still got released in time. The good ones still got deferred. When I saw the 2020 road map it looked even more ambitious then last year, and this time it doesn’t really look like they will get everything in on time :confused:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s exactly how I felt as well. Last year a lot of features got deferred, and it’s not that I really blame them. I am glad they are going to be adding all the features but I feel they are being way too ambitious with the release dates that it just leads to disappointment.

1 Like

I think part of the issue is that they just don’t update it that often. Many of the on-track things above have already been added, they just never got around to changing it. Off the top of my head I see atmospheric fog, the plug-in debugger, and probably a few others that I can’t remember.

But yeah, I think you’re right about the big stuff being deferred. If they updated it to deferred earlier I don’t think it would be as annoying. This is supposed to be about transparency, and when it becomes inaccurate due to not being updated regularly that transparency becomes a bit less transparent.

Like I’m okay with things taking longer, I just wish they told us once they knew it would take longer

6 Likes

Can we get an update on the roadmap now? June is over and almost all of the features under Q2 still say that they’re on track. Personally I wish it was updated more actively as the whole point was transparency. I got really excited about mesh deformation and am kind of disappointed that there is no new information regarding its progress.

15 Likes

Four days into July and still no update. Me and a lot more creators have been waiting for this quarter of the year because of the great features it promised.

Could we at least get an announcement or a change in the road-map saying its delayed or defered?

11 Likes

Well they aren’t updating this week due to the holiday, however who knows, they might bomb us with a massive feature release next week.

2 Likes

I got to agree with everyone else here. I am very disappointed, if even half of the feature didn’t get in that still wouldn’t be enjoyable but tolerable… But almost all of the features have not been released and we have all been anxiously waiting for months. With all due respect Roblox, I don’t mean to be rude or offense when I say this, but if you are this far from achieving your goal and you are not even able to give out an announcement to the development community (which would be what is expected from a “professional” development platform), they maybe it’s time to keep your road maps less ambitious and not build up hype you can’t meet.

We depend on your features, and when you get delayed, we get delayed. When you put out features on the official roadmap like mesh deformation and PBR texturing, I can’t speak for everyone but I am sure I am not the only one who got my self prepared by creating new character mesh’s, new models with PBR textures, made environment concept designs, created new game ideas to utilize the new features, etc. Now I, and once again I am sure many other people are waiting here with all their ideas that have been set off track by Roblox’s delays.

Please, at the very least given announcement.

9 Likes

I completely agree, Roblox neglected the roadmap, i believe that we deserve an announcement at least. I understand that the situation we’re in (the pandemic) did not allow them to release updates in time, but at the very least they could explain what will happen to the updates. I am sure there won’t be a bulk release, which will make it very difficult to pinpoint any bugs, the most likely situation is that the updates from the second quarter will be released during the third, and the fouth quarter will be entirely or partly deferred. Even so, the roadmap and us, developers deserve a bit of attention regarding this matter.

1 Like

I’ve been personally very excited for the terrain update and i’ve been checking every new update to see if anything terrain-related was changed. Seeing the quarter end and just a few of the updates be released was a huge disappointment.

3 Likes

I agree. I feel like next year they should have a less ambitious roadmap, because I would rather be surprised when Roblox goes above and beyond rather than be disappointed when not everything that was planned works out. I have been waiting for mesh deformation and SurfaceAppearance to start making models and textures for my game, and I think many others are the same way. But even if it takes a bit longer than expected, these things are still great updates!

3 Likes