Looking Forward in 2020: This Year's Developer Roadmap

FIRST of all, love to see the full roadmap, filled with exciting projects :slightly_smiling_face:

second, i have to say, i was most excited about the layered clothing, talent hub, furture is bright v3, and enhancement for terrian vegetation. they all appeared relatively close to the end with most being in the second half of the year. just saving the best for last, i guess? :upside_down_face:

anyway, i look forward to seeing how much of this gets done. it looks like lot, but recently, i’ve been really impressed with roblox’s updates. can’t wait for more of these features to go live :eyes:

1 Like

I am excited just for procedural skies, i really want to see how they pull that off very quickly

5 Likes

Also, I am curious, have any changes been made to the PBR texturing workflow? I am unsure how often the Avatar Evolution build gets updated, but I just recently downloaded it and tried it and while it is a nice proof of concept, the actual work flow of using PBR materials isn’t so great. It feels as if you don’t want us to use it. Do you plan on adding a feature in the new asset manager to possibly create a folder called “Materials” where we can have all of our surface appearance instances set up and can easily drag on drop them onto parts and mesh’s compared to having to copy and paste a surface appearance instance from one part to the other? In other words, can you make the surface appearance object work like how materials work in other game engines? And do you plan on adding tiling anytime soon? I really hope that not only does this update get released soon, but I hope we are not left with a terrible workflow.

4 Likes

Yeah I had features I was working on that relied on certain features being out, and it isn’t a good idea

Last year they displayed the status on all features, and had problems keeping up with it or deferring a lot of features

This year they promised to display the status each quarter to fix that issue, but that haven’t kept up with that so far

PSA don’t plan and implement features that rely on new roblox features that may or may not be added, the roadmap isn’t reliable

(and even if the roadmap was reliable, there would still be features that would be deferred so it isn’t a good idea either way)

1 Like

I agree with this, this is why I did not try and rely on features like mesh deform and PBR texturing last year since I had a feeling it’d be deferred since it was targeted toward the 4th quarter. This year however was different as the features were right up there in quarter 2. Anyway, the whole feature is all over the place now. Even if they did release it soon, it’s hard to tell if they made any significant improvements. If the features get released exactly as we saw it in the Avatar Evolution beta, then that’s a problem. I can’t speak for others, but I doubt artist’s will want to use the new PBR texturing features if the workflow is disorganized.

3 Likes

Can’t say I didn’t see this coming. They didn’t deliver on time as usual, they should honestly just predict how long it will take to release the feature and then add another month to it. At the very least just keep us updated on the status of each feature so we know whats going on

3 Likes

I posted a few months back about how amazing this roadmap was but ever since that amazing feeling has started to decrease and it seems to have happened to everyone like that. I think Roblox should respect what everyone is saying here and man up and tell us what’s going on because us developers are what keeps Roblox here, I think there should be much more communication between Roblox and us developers through this forum. None of us have any idea what’s going on with new updates. If you ask me I would say they screwed up big time with releasing updates.

1 Like

well, Roblox seems to be ignoring our complaints. not even a sign that they are indeed taking our oppinions into account…?

2 Likes

They’re just coming into work after a long weekend because of July the 4th. I think it’s going to take a bit for them to see and discuss replies to a thread made in April, and then respond to them. I feel strongly that the roadmap should be updated more frequently as well, but I believe it’s also important to consider the factors on their side in regards to replies on this thread.

8 Likes

That is true ,however I have seen posts asking for updates dated over 20 days ago! I’m not from America and I don’t know much about the 4th of July but 20 days doesn’t seem like a long weekend to me.

2 Likes

It happened already.

1 Like

Oh of course that is understandable. The problem is that through the entire quarter of April-June we hardly got any announcements or updates on anything at all. They really just kept us anxiously sitting there all the way to the last day of June, while many of us just unrealistically magically hoped they’d release all or most or even some of the features sometime that day in bulk, but it never happened. My overall concern is that they left us waiting with absolutely no clue for all of that time. Every day we’d get closer and closer to June 30th, and as the days went by, nothing. The problem is they had all that time to give us some sort of announcement, anything at all to let us know there is something wrong or it’s almost finished, or something. But leaving us here guessing is just very unprofessional of the company.

2 Likes

Oh yes. I would love to see something like that, especially on billboard guis because custom particle systems that use billboard guis could at least have this feature too, since I make heavy use of them.

All I can say is… I can’t wait! So far, 2020’s features have been amazing. For example, take a look at what I have built in a game me and a friend are working on;

Can’t wait for more features to make ROBLOX better and even more beautiful than it already is!
Features like seen above (Future lighting and better graphics) make a game so much more beautiful, and allows people to be more immersed in our games. Thanks, ROBLOX! :heart:

5 Likes

Wow, this is super great! Hope all these updates happen :slight_smile: .

But I am even more excited for these updates:

• FiB 3

• Enhanced Terrain Vegetation

• Facial Animation v1

6 Likes

The lighting itself did a HUGE change to my Game’s lighting, mostly at nights tho! You see the nights are obviously darker which gives the future lighting a bit more new look and realistic look!

Truly satisfying to see Roblox releasing these amazing features and for us developers to test!
This wasn’t easy tho, unlike any other feature this one was a real pain at first!
5 Hours spent to change all lightings. You might ask why. Well, you see the lighting changed every point, surface and spot light objects in the game making some brighter and making some darker. I’m still playing around with this but It’s 80% compatible in “The Voyage” a project of mine!

Here are some images! :slight_smile:
Water cave:

Parts of the main Island:

It also had a small change in the Atmosphere object! How so? Well, you see I managed to make the game look dark with good lighting meaning-making the Decay darker had some great impact on it!

Again thanks for everyone involved in this can’t wait for this year’s RDC!

14 Likes

Roadmap has now been updated!

Thanks everyone for your patience.

22 Likes

I looked over it slightly but are we going to be getting a FPS Uncapped? So we can run at more than 60fps?

1 Like

Thanks very much, just what we have been waiting for. :+1:

Just want to make sure that you know that I posted that reply to this topic around 2 to 3 months before the phase 3 of Future Is Bright became available.

1 Like