Looking Forward in 2020: This Year's Developer Roadmap

I am glad it is updated now, but it seems all that was done is everything got moved to the 3rd or 4th quarter, how do we know these features will still come out when they are supposed too? Q1’s features were not that ambitious, Q2’s features were more ambitious than the features of Q1, and Q3’s features are even more ambitious, and Q4’s features are even more ambitious then Q3. Q2 is over and almost half of the features have been moved to Q3, and some of the features in Q2 are still in beta.

If Roblox had such a difficult time succeeding in getting the features from Q2 out, how is Roblox possibly going to get most of the features from Q3 and Q4 done? Assuming they can not, is there any priority list?

For example, here are some features that I question if we really need compared to the others:

If you are already including mesh deformation for avatars and bone instances, for now, isn’t 3D clothing something that developers can add themselves. Layered clothing is a very cool feature, but is it really worth it right now?

Useful, but I don’t see why its needed right now compared to other more important features.

I really, really want this… But, as some of the features on here can help us more quickly get our games to look more advanced and high quality, do procedural clouds need to focus right now? Would it not be much better for this feature to be moved to next year and perhaps implemented with a fully procedural sky?

Honestly, I never understand why this was on the roadmap to begin with. There are surely tons of more important features we need right now compared to facial animation, and with mesh deformation and bone instances, can’t developers do this themselves?

I am just generally curious why we need some of these compared to the other more important features on the roadmap.

2 Likes

These are all done by different teams; Roblox has a very tall internal structure. This means that every teams time is as well spent as possible.

2 Likes

If they have a lot of teams working on the update, then it’s even worse.
If a team with 3-10 people was sitting and doing those I understand the delays and stuff.
But if there are a few of those it disappoints me even more just by thinking that 10+ people can’t finish a medium list of updates in 3 months.

This is going to be absolutely. Amazing.

3 Likes

I am SOOOOO happy that you guys are working on Meshpart Heads and accessories! I just had this problem the other day. The fact that I no longer will have to create my own custom character makes me want to laugh with joy!

You are not in a position of expertise to comment on engineering project planning. There are many reasons why projects take time because they are more complicated than you assume.

5 Likes

I understand that engineering takes a lot of time and it’s hard. But I know for a fact that promising less and making it all in time is easier.

I am sorry but this is clearly not the case. You can say this, but what do you have to prove it? My proof is simple, Roblox had a whole list of things on the Q2 of the roadmap and more then half of it was incomplete, and 3 out of 5 are still in beta.

Once again, we don’t have to know Roblox’s struggles to comment on them. That’s like saying just because someone is not an artist, they can’t judge an artist’s work. As developers and consumers of Roblox’s product, we can comment as much as wish based on what we know. And what we know is that a lot was promised, and very little was given.

If we can’t assume how complicated a problem is because we are not engineers and only Roblox’s engineers are qualified to assume how complicated something is, then why have they not assumed an accurate completion time?

Sorry, but you are making a lot of points based on unsupported reasoning using a very simple mindset of “If you are not this, then you can not comment on this”. Respectfully saying, that isn’t how critique works.

@EhhDmitry Is 100% correct when he/she says that promising less and making it all in time is easier (and as my addition to that statement, it’d be better too). We don’t need to be engineers to know this, it is a concept in most jobs and in life. And that concept would be, “Don’t make promises you can’t keep.”

5 Likes

Watch out, amazing updates coming through!

7 Likes

Shared Memory & Cloud Scripts will be insane game changing features and I hope they come this year.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m preparing myself to be once again, disappointed. I don’t mean to dissuade the admins/devs but looking back the last few quarters, the most features ever to be released in a quarter was over a year a go at 9 features. We are half way through the Roadmap and only 11 out of 61 features have been finished.

I don’t, for one second, believe that 50 features will be finished by the end of the year. That’s 5 times over the quarterly feature release average.

I believe the Roadmaps need to be less ambitious. As this is affecting developers as well… Personally, I’ve been waiting for mesh deformation/bone instances and layered clothing for around 6/7 months now, ever since I saw it on the road-map. Mesh designers have been waiting over a year and a half for Surface Appearances.

I know the admins/roblox developers are working their hardest but it’s not fair that we keep getting let down by overly ambitious roadmaps.

16 Likes

I personally think the new clouds will be epic!

5 Likes

One month and a half into the third quarter and one single feature from the roadmap is live, with a few in beta (features that have been in beta for quite long at this point). Something tells me this quarter won’t be any different from the second quarter, and we’ll be left disappointed yet again. Roblox should be less ambitious with their roadmaps, as others have already said. It’s also been 2 weeks since update 442, roblox usually releases updates weekly.

1 Like

Not really. I count 3 that are live and 4 that are in beta. That’s 7 out of 22 that are either released or close to release. Not to mention there are 2 massive features that were scheduled for Q4 that are already being rolled out (FIB3 & Script editor upgrade).

1 Like

Any recent teasers anyone find about layered 3d clothing? Super excited to see how that pans out.

Are you looking at the same roadmap as the rest of us? I only count 1 live feature and 5 that have been in beta since the start of this quarter. That still leaves 16 features to do in a month and half when their half-a-year average is half of that.

Half of these features are also late, as they’ve been brought over from the last quarter… It’s 100% going to be another disappointment. A feature that can’t be used yet and a script editor isn’t going to stop people from being dissapointed.

2 Likes

I would recommend you reread the original post, as it clearly states the roadmap is only updated once per quarter. I am going off of what I know to be currently live in studio or in beta, because I have seen it for myself.

My bad, I didn’t see that part. But still, the road-map is not accurate at all. Even if what you said is true and 100% then that’s still 15 features to complete in a month and a half. My opinion is still the same.

The fact that the update it once per quarter makes it even less accurate

You say that as though all 15 features are just now starting internal development, when in reality most of them are probably pretty far along already.

Correct… That’s what I’ve been saying.

1 Like