Looking Forward in 2020: This Year's Developer Roadmap

I have a question @nsgriff

I noticed in the beta studio build that the poly count cap increased for meshes. Is this something that will be live soon? I assume it might be a part of skinned meshes and stuff, but its not clear in the roadmap when that might be happening. Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

live features for the third quarter: one (the quarter begun in july)
open beta: 2
internal beta/closed beta: 3
on track (unreleased): 15, along with one deferred feature

Keep in mind that many of the updates in the roadmap for the current quarter were actually scheduled for the previousā€¦ just saying.

Features from the roadmap that were fully released so far in 2020: 11
Beta features, both closed and open beta: 8
Features to be released in the following 4 months: 37.

5 Likes

I said it last year, I said it last quarter and the quarter before that, and I am going to say it again just like everyone else is. Thank you Roblox for yet another year with a disappointing roadmap. I like the work that the Roblox development team is doing, but at this point, this isnā€™t just ridiculous, itā€™s completely unacceptable. There isnā€™t a shield for Roblox to hide behind anymore, Roblox has grown as a platform. Once again, Iā€™ve said it before and Iā€™ll say it again. Roblox is now a billion-dollar corporation and one of the biggest game platforms in the world. It is seriously time to get professional. I appreciate the work Roblox is doing, but that doesnā€™t mean I have much sympathy for their efforts if they overextended themselves. This isnā€™t some personal goal or some friendly platform growth anymore. Every year, more and more developers depend on this platform for a job and income, and it is growing to become a professional career. When Roblox makes a goal, that goal affects all of us. It is entirely Robloxā€™s fault if they create unreasonable goals to create hype they canā€™t meet.

I am seriously getting tired of this ā€œall talk, no walkā€. Roblox releases a roadmap, the whole community gets excited, everyone posts on social media, every developer starts bragging about how advanced Roblox is as a cloud gaming platform/service, and then Roblox delivers a fraction of what they said they will add to the platform. Ultimately, it makes Roblox developers look like overly optimistic idiots.

I am completely aware of the description on top. I am aware that the roadmap is a plan and a list of goals, not a guaranteed list of features and updates. But once again, just by putting this description doesnā€™t give Roblox a shield to hide behind. The roadmap is the most official document we have, and itā€™s the document us developers have to stick too. Roblox canā€™t just keep us all waiting for months to even years (or past a year).

As others have previously said, when some of us developers see these new features, especially the ones on the roadmap last year too, we prepare for the arrival of those features. Roblox, this platform like all other platforms and development platforms is a competitive space. When a new appealing feature is on the list of possibilities soon, we always try to get ahead of the game and prepare for the arrival of those features right away. I along with probably many other developers are probably willing to wait a few weeks to a few months, but when the overwhelming majority of the features almost every year gets delayed for months to past year, we are all just sitting here waiting and wondering when Roblox will release these features.

Many of us developers are eager and want to get ahead of the game. Many of us want to improve Roblox and Roblox games and the standard/standards of Roblox games, but we canā€™t do that and we canā€™t improve the platform or ourselves if Roblox is this inconsistent with the updates.

A few features getting deferred here and it is understandable. A few features getting delayed is understandable. But as previous developers on this topic/forum have said, when you aim to release 60-61 features a year and only 11 are out by the time we have already not reached half the year, but more than half the year! Roblox! Itā€™s august! We are still waiting for features on last yearā€™s roadmap and now your telling me that youā€™re supposed to finish and get done 50 features in 4 months? It seems this 2020 roadmap represents the roadmap for 2019-2020-2021 and even 2022 at this rate.

Many of us developers have been going around talking about how quickly Roblox is advancing, how much Roblox can soon achieve but was not. We are not achieving much at all. At least not much compared to how much we are saying we are achieving. All we and Roblox are saying is what we want to achieve, but we are not even past 1/6th of a way there.

I am sorry for my rant, but seriously, this is unacceptable. Especially if this keeps happeningevery year.

15 Likes

@VlachSlv Oops, my bad. I did not mean to reply to you.

1 Like

As a developer, you surely know that things can be unexpectedly complicated or delays can set back a project by months as you have to work on something else. Try to be patient and understanding, especially what with the whole ā€œthe first global pandemic in a centuryā€ thing.

I would prefer an overly ambitious roadmap over one that tells us basically nothing. If you prefer the alternative, thatā€™s your prerogative, but I donā€™t think many people feel that way.

4 Likes

Of course, and as I mentioned, this is completely understandable at a small or reasonable scale. I am not intending to come off as rude or impatient, in fact, I believe the situation is the opposite. Itā€™s August, features like surface appearance were announced last year and 3D modelers and texture artists are still waiting. Developers have been waiting for months, yet Roblox has only released 1/6th of the features and updates they intended to release.

The same issue occurring year after year is a clear sign of irresponsible planning. I can understand delays due to Covid-19, and I actually did consider this during the first part of the year. I expected a month, maybe 2 months of delay, but this is starting to get ridiculous. Also once again, this problem has existed before the pandemic.

What does an over-ambitious roadmap tell us besides Roblox is over-ambitious? An over-ambitious roadmap doesnā€™t help developers, it only causes confusion, frustration, delay, and embarrassment. Also, I disagree. I doubt that many developers appreciate being told ā€œthis will come to Roblox!ā€, ā€œthat will come too Roblox!ā€ only to be disappointed each year.

1 Like

I agree with some of your points. For me, the main frustration is that thereā€™s little to no communication about the progress behind the scenes. I was really excited about the Q2 features, namely mesh deformation, and even after June ended we were still in the dark. Here we are in August, almost September, and it still canā€™t be used in game. I donā€™t know how much work it is, but I wish when they realized it would take a few more months they would have made a progress update instead of just leaving it as ā€œOn Track.ā€

3 Likes

Personally I would also agree. I would prefer to get features that we didnā€™t think would get then have all our hopes up and then only half of them come out. However I am aware others might have different opinions and I fully respect that but this is just what I think.

1 Like

Why was ā€œMorph Instanceā€ removed from the road map?

This used to be on it:

Did it merge into skinned meshes? I was hoping it was something different where I could alter the point cloud positions at runtime?

3 Likes

Not really though.

A large majority of the features promised in Q3 are either very close to being done and should be done by the end of September or are in closed/open betas or are already released.

Automatic Translation for Games - Closed Beta (I think)
Custom Materials - Open Beta
Large Object Stores - Closed Beta
Improved Terrain Level-of-Detail & Blending - Shown at RDC and I would assume is close.
MaterialsService - Shown at RDC and I would assume is close.
Dynamic Texture Resolution - No idea.
Model Level-of-Detail - Open Beta
Wireframe Mode - No idea.
Typed Lua - Open Beta
Layered 3D Clothing - Shown at RDC and I would assume is close.
Skinned Meshes & Bone Instances - Open Beta
MeshParts for Heads and Accessories - Heads is in Open Beta
Shared Memory - No idea.
Align Tool - Is here.
Script Version History - Internal Beta
Audio Importing in Studio - No idea.
Plugin Script Permissions - No idea.
Creator Dashboard - Shown at RDC and I would assume is close.
Custom Pivots - No idea.
Terrain Material Search & Replace - Is here.

Over 3/4th of all the things on there are already in some sort of testing or already here. I have no idea where you are getting the ā€œonly 1/6 of all the ideas happenedā€.

Keep in mind we still have 1 month left.

2 Likes

Many of those were moved into Q3 from Q2 even though with Q2 a lot of stuff was marked as beta.

4 Likes

This is the main thing Iā€™m looking forward to, a new develop page is long overdue

1 Like

Fourth quarter is here, pretty sure half of the scheduled updates for this year will be moved to 2021 at this pointā€¦

6 Likes

feels like everything is being delayed. though this happens frequently so Iā€™d wait it.

3 Likes

I hope mesh deformation goes live within the next few days and I wonā€™t be disappointed like in June

Anyone know when the rest of the dev roadmap stuff for july-sep. will be released? Causeā€¦ Itā€™s currently October XD.

4 Likes

No clue, but I canā€™t say Iā€™m really surprised at this point. Earth to Robloxā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

Is there any information on the roadmap? I believe this is the 4th quarter, but the 3rd quarter is not complete and no information on the status of the 4th quarter has been displayed?

I am not sure how 3rd quarter tasks can be considered ā€œOn Trackā€ a week into October?

This is normal, it happened last year and the year prior.

1 Like

Does anyone have an update for this? Anything? We all anticipate Roblox to drag behind, but just any excuse (be it COVID-19 or whatever) would suffice just fine. Itā€™s just 2 1/2 weeks into the fourth quarter and we have almost nothing to go on. (Edit to fix grammar)

1 Like