Looking Forward in 2020: This Year's Developer Roadmap

Seriously, is it bad that I’m only excited for the third quarter Bulk Studio Audio Uploads?

11 Likes

And I thought last year’s stuff was incredible… its so beautiful I may cry

10 Likes

I think this is more of a questionnare that the developer takes to assign an ESRB-like rating (Everyone, Teen, Mature, etc.) to their game.

19 Likes

Based on this roadmap, 2020 is going to be a defining and positive year for Roblox.
One thing that stuck out to me was this:

I anticipate this to be a big boost for small developers, and I’m excited for this, as well as the other features, to be released!

16 Likes

Is this referring to the on-site trade system being extended to function in-game?

9 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but these two deferred updates from last year are not on the 2020 road map. Can we expect these two to be implemented anytime soon? I was excited for the universe scripts in particular, and it’s a shame to see universe scripts deferred without being added to the new roadmap.

22 Likes

Unfortunately I see no improvements with UI, we still need things like rounded corners built into studio rather than having to use a 3rd party.

11 Likes

Universe scripts and game services has been renamed to ‘Shared Memory’ + ‘Cloud Scripts’ so that’s on the docket. Phased game updates we are currently debating whether it can get in this year.

31 Likes

This list is not exhaustive and contains big items. UI improvements such as rounder corners maybe Coming Soon ™

47 Likes

Alright thanks for the quick response!

6 Likes

Cloud Scripts
Write and deploy code outside the context of any game server.

Oh. My. God.
I cannot wait for anything even remotely related to this to come out. I can’t even begin to imagine the possibilities of what I could do with a roblox-run server. I have a few questions about it:

• Will we have access to a HTTP server service?
  • Will it be paid-access?
  • What are the intended use cases for this?
  • Will it be invokable from within a game?

Thank you for such a lovely roadmap, roblox team!

19 Likes

yes, thats what it does. this feature is showcased in the FiB builds on github.

this also means that SpotLight, Pointlight, and SurfaceLight do exactly what you’d expect them to do, and look a lot more realistic

8 Likes

im so glad FiB V3 wasnt forgotten!!! cant wait to use the new lights in all my builds :heart:

7 Likes

Oh my. I don’t have words for this, I was never expecting this. This is genuinely amazing.

5 Likes

Hopefully this
has an effect on xbox content guidelines
:::

Drug reference, language and gambling I understand… but even a meager amount of blood can exclude games from XBox. A game can also be excluded from the xbox market for being remotely “frightening”, which is a bummer.

23 Likes

I absolutely love this roadmap and I’m just as hyped as everyone else but what happened to the moderation overhaul that was mentioned in RDC 2019, we really need it

7 Likes

Oh damn this roadmap looks real good, so many great things planned!

One update exclusively caught my attention:
unknown-2
Legitimately, something that I’ve been waiting for!
It seems like my feature request was fulfilled

12 Likes

Large Object Stores Store in-game player creations and other large objects with ease.

Long live sandbox games!!!

21 Likes

I LOVE THIS! It’s so good that I can see what is coming forward in the future!

4 Likes

Transactions? Between players? You mean we may be on our way towards smooth player-to-player donations— hermm payments. And on the Creator Talent Hub. Is this a new page on the website, a category on the forums or a game that a moderator has decided to make in their free time? More explanation would be helpful.

Edit:
We’ve got some clarification that, in fact, the Creator Talent Hub will be a replacement for the Recruitment category on the forums.
Check this out:

4 Likes