Low Poly Building - How Do I Achieve It?

How do you build in Low Poly style? I really like it but I have no idea how to do it or where to start. I see it everywhere and it’s very common and I would really like to try it out. I know there are a couple low poly plugins but I don’t trust them as my games have been backdoored multiple times.

& to clarify, by low poly I don’t mean square parts I mean this kind of style:

3 Likes

Have you used the search bar yet? There have been many posts about this before.

Yes, but they all have info about making simplistic square-based builds when I meant this kind of style and wouldn’t know how to pull it off:

To be clear, low poly is not a style but a technique of which purposely uses a low amount of polygons in polygon meshes to create an artist form of design.

1 Like

If you are going to attempt this, you should definitely utilise 3D Blender.

I was thinking it would be quite annoying to use meshes to make a complete map, but I seem to remember before meshes were a public thing I used to use a script which converts .obj files in to actual polygon parts, I could probably utilise that.

I had some really long definition of what low-poly is somewhere but I lost it.

What I have come across is that builders complete the map on 3D Blender then import it into Roblox Studio.

@Lv100DominusUltimus isn’t totally correct, you could make an exact look-alike in studio, I made a post about it here.

1 Like

To clarify, I mentioned a method I have seen builders use. I did not say this is “the way”.

If you are referring to the low poly art style rather than the low poly workflow which you obviously are, I can help.

There is no effective way of doing this without using a 3d modelling program, and you need to get over the short 1-2 month learning curve that it takes to get the hang of such simple concepts like low poly art.

Trust me, learn a 3d modelling software like blender and you will not regret it. You can DM me if you have any questions.

Making a low poly tree for example is definitely possible on Studio with unions, but it would be quite the hassle. Meaning 3D modeling programs such as Blender just make it easier for you.

Honestly, the best way that I have found to do it involves Autodesk Maya/Blender. I personally prefer Autodesk Maya. Find an object you want to create in a low-poly style/technique. Most people start with a tree because it’s pretty simple. In low-poly building, there’s two things to think about: Poly count and texture/color.

Most low poly builders that I have seen are using this technique to optimize their games, as such, they often do not UV map their meshes and go for a single color object. Hence, the trees would be split into at least two objects, the leaves and the the trunk. While making a mesh, you’ll want poly count displayed on. I typically consider around 200 tris to be low poly personally. Everyone’s definition is a little different. Tris are how many triangle faces on a mesh. Then, it’s just a matter of modeling these meshes. It might be a good idea to watch some tutorials or just experiment until you get the style you like.

Some of my examples can be seen below. In them, I usually do an actual texture vs single color per object. Most of the models shown are under 250 tris.

56-pm

3 Likes

That style is actually just flat shading and no texture, which is made with Parts and Meshparts (with flat shading) with the smooth plastic material.

You typically need to know how to use Blender for the Meshparts, but you can do full builds with just normal Parts.

Don’t convert .objs to Parts unless you absolutely need to. It isn’t really like making an entire map out of Meshparts, because things like a floor don’t typically have to be more than just a Part. The typical workflow is to make asset pieces in Blender (like, a tree trunk, a bush, a rock, a car’s tire) and import them into Studio to assemble the full assets to place around the map.

For instance, some of my assets here have Meshparts in them, but the ground is still a combination of Parts.

5 Likes