[feedback] Magic game || devlog

This game is inspired by the franchise Harry Potter as well as influenced by the game Magic Training and other magic games on roblox. I set out with the original idea in late 2020 to make a magic game, I have worked on numerous version of the project. This game is no where near ready for release. I’m currently the only one working on this game, I quite enjoy solo projects and I wanted to document the work I put into the game on devforum for anyone whos interested and to hopefully gain a player base.

I’m anticipating at the current moment in time that the game will be ready for release in the coming months. This project is just for fun and it has been one of my dream games for a while but I never got round to it due to lack of motivation for roblox.

Short lil demo of progress so far.

Current logs:

3. (Most recent)

plz comment if you have even a shred of feedback or even just to comment it gives me motivation :grin:

• A) very nice
  • B) cool
  • C) it’s alright
  • D) meh (tell me why)

0 voters

Opening soon for testing :octopus:

8 Likes

its Harry potter. In Roblox. But I dont have interest in it much so sorry.
image Roblox bad at maths

2 Likes

;c ok then, isn’t harry potter and roblox the best combo?

2 Likes

Hmm yea I guess. But still good job.

2 Likes

Well done m8, however it could use more vfx and animations.

2 Likes

updated this thread with the second devlog took a while since I had a fat break. I ended up remaking the whole wand system.

1 Like

reworked the whole wand system added improvements and made a far superior projectile to my previous ones.

I’m going to completely do the UI because it’s pretty bad, I completely remade the wand system and have started work on quest NPC’s. I’m excited to work on some AI’s because it will be challenging, I hope to have started on that by the next devlog.

Simple lil quest giver…

I also am experimenting with using m6d for animation which will allow me to manipulate the wands position with more accuracy (not needed but I felt like it so why not?)
Example (not actually using this anim):
https://gyazo.com/34915056eece08b563e5062f98e24465

I made a model of the wand that is displayed when the user unequips the wand which I thought was nice.

player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(character)
		local wand_model = script.wand_model:Clone()
		wand_model.Parent = character

wand_model.CFrame = character:FindFirstChild("LowerTorso").CFrame * CFrame.new(1.09376526, -0.713719368, 0.00842285156, 0.162211657, 0.108386368, 0.980784893, 0.555570006, -0.831469417, 0, 0.815493166, 0.544895053, -0.195090264)

local weld = Instance.new("Weld", wand_model)
		weld.Part0 = wand_model
		weld.C0 = wand_model.CFrame:Inverse()
		weld.Part1 = character:FindFirstChild("LowerTorso")
		weld.C1 = character:FindFirstChild("LowerTorso").CFrame:inverse()

character.ChildAdded:Connect(function(child)
			wand_model.Transparency = 1
		end)
		character.ChildRemoved:Connect(function(child)
			wand_model.Transparency = 0
		end)
	end)

Created a start screen, exactly the style I was going for:

For @Qinrir

Okay I finally added hotkeys instead of typing the spells. I set the keys as X,C,V,B and you press the buttons in different combinations to activate different spells. For example to cast duro you need to press the x button 4 times. If you take longer then 1 second between each button it resets and you have to redo the combination.

There is an indicator at the bottom of the screen which shows you key strokes and the spell.

More updates coming, I haven’t worked on this in a week because I was on holiday.

1 Like

lets goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1 Like