Make Automatic Animation Replication OPTIONAL

I have my own automatic animation replication system that uses KeyframeReached hooks in order to produce special effects perfectly with the animation. With the automatic animation replicators, playing an animation on EACH client causes things to jitter about in a very unattractive way and causes KeyframeReached to freak out.

I want animations to be fully localized and NEVER replicated at all, since I have a great system for replicating animations that is incredibly reliable and allows for fantastic visual effects. I’ll be looking for a workaround for this but I really would prefer that it be optional so that I can fully utilize my system.

Here is a video. I really need this a lot. Notice the doubled-up beginning of each animation:

I have it set up so that the server sends an animation request to each client, and each client animates perfectly every animation request that is made. However, with the animation replication, Player2’s animations are replicating back over to Player1’s and vice versa, leading to a doubled-up animation.

I need to be able to turn this off. I can’t think of a way to work around this.

7 Likes

Workaround:

Make a different set of joints for the server than the client.

Step 1: server creates joints in external model
Step 2: client deletes these joints locally (in external model so they don’t replicate)
Step 3: client creates its own joints.

Now animations won’t replicate.

[quote] Workaround:

Step 2: client deletes these joints locally (in external model so they don’t replicate)

Now animations won’t replicate. [/quote]

That sounds horrible to do. But maybe.

[quote] Workaround:

That sounds horrible to do. But maybe.[/quote]

It is horrible.

[quote] Workaround:

You can thank ROBLOX for replicating :Destroy() on any item in the character for some odd reason.
That sounds horrible to do. But maybe.[/quote]

This isn’t stopping me from working but it will stop me from launching. I would really appreciate a feature on this, perhaps game.Players.ReplicateAnimations or workspace or individual players even.

It’s really awesome that we have this feature but in this specific use case it backfires when I want to be hooking localized effects to the animation.

I would also accept a not awful way of doing this within the current system. How do I achieve animation control from the server and still have localized effects fire on animations?

I would like some sort of confirmation that this hs been seen? A thank you by an admin would suffice. This will completely halt the launch of my game.

I have still not found a way to do this without very backwards thinking. Anyone have any other suggestions? Can you pass an animation track object through remotes?

I can’t stress how much this breaks FilteringEnabled and KeyframeReached. As it stands, I would need to serialize every effect I make and then replicate it to the server.

Honestly I’m beginning to feel like this is more a bug report than a feature request. How should we be using KeyframeReached+FilteringEnabled in this setup? What if I want my local effects to replicate? Isn’t it best to do that sort of stuff on each client?

You should make your own custom animation system if you’re really dieing for this. It’s not hard.
Either that, or do what Owen said. It’s haxy, but it apparently works.

This is why custom animation systems rule. :swag:
Took me 3 days to make a fully working one, and now I have it with absolutely no errors. :swag:
I’m so proud of myself. :swag:

[quote] You should make your own custom animation system if you’re really dieing for this. It’s not hard.

Took me 3 days to make a fully working one, and now I have it with absolutely no errors. :swag:
[/quote]

Default animations are so nice to use, though. I just want to use them. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dual joint it up. You will hate yourself for it but it’ll work, at least till Roblox give a proper solution.

[quote] You should make your own custom animation system if you’re really dieing for this. It’s not hard.

[/quote]

Default animations are so nice to use, though. I just want to use them. :P[/quote]

Ah, so you must be the other guy that uses ROBLOX anims. I knew there must be someone else out there who did.

[quote] [quote=“Kertopher” post=148452]You should make your own custom animation system if you’re really dieing for this. It’s not hard.

[/quote]

Default animations are so nice to use, though. I just want to use them. :P[/quote]

Ah, so you must be the other guy that uses ROBLOX anims. I knew there must be someone else out there who did.[/quote]

They have a great editor and a solid API – I just need to be able to turn off the automated replication. :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you not use an AnimationController instead of applying the Animation to the Humanoid directly? I think it doesn’t replicate when you do that, but I’m not sure.

Worth a shot for a dirty fix. I’ll see what I can do…

[quote] [quote=“Kertopher” post=148452]You should make your own custom animation system if you’re really dieing for this. It’s not hard.

[/quote]

Ah, so you must be the other guy that uses ROBLOX anims. I knew there must be someone else out there who did.[/quote]

#ROBLOXAnimationMasterRace

On topic:
Is there a reason you need to do replication yourself, instead of using roblox’s replication system?